Sign in to follow this  
KJP

Cleveland: East Side Neighborhood Development

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 7:46 AM, newyorker said:

There's plenty of cheap-looking housing projects on the west side.  The Quarter is the exception, not the rule.  Cheap-looking housing is Cleveland's forte.

• Poison 1

1 hour ago, gruver said:

There's plenty of cheap-looking housing projects on the west side.  The Quarter is the exception, not the rule.  Cheap-looking housing is Cleveland's forte.

Cleveland's forte?  How about pretty much every city's forte as many projects look identical across the US.  This has nothing to do with Cleveland specifically.  I hate the "woe is Cleveland/this only happens in Cleveland" mindset.  It's simply not true.

• Like 5

There are a lot of very nice developments going up all over the city (OC, LI, UC, W. 25, Tremont, etc.).There are also a couple that are mediocre, but you see that everywhere.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 4:01 PM, jeremyck01 said:

Cleveland's forte?  How about pretty much every city's forte as many projects look identical across the US.  This has nothing to do with Cleveland specifically.  I hate the "woe is Cleveland/this only happens in Cleveland" mindset.  It's simply not true

I guess we can agree to disagree.  If you compare Cleveland's infill with other cities (Columbus, for example) I think you will find A LOT more vinyl and plastic panels here.

Front1.jpg

large.jpg

Edited by gruver
  • Thanks 1

^ That's a new build in Columbus? That's lovely, looks like something straight out of Cleveland Hts or along Rockefeller Park. Let's call up that developer and recruit them for some infill here. There's a vacant lot next to the Monticello on Carnegie where that would look great.

• Like 2

Wouldn't ya know it. One day after I post a Seeds & Sprouts, bids have gone out for Cedar Extension Phase III, a $17.75 million new-construction mixed-income apartment project at 2320 East 30th St.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

16 hours ago, PoshSteve said:

^ That's a new build in Columbus? That's lovely, looks like something straight out of Cleveland Hts or along Rockefeller Park. Let's call up that developer and recruit them for some infill here. There's a vacant lot next to the Monticello on Carnegie where that would look great.

Yes.  That's a new build apartment building in Columbus.  Here's another. Columbus (and other cities) seem to require a durable build in the city core and leave the vinyl/plastic/asphalt buildings we frequently see in Cleveland to the outer neighborhoods/suburbs. Imagine if we lined our grand old streets with buildings like these....

o.jpg

Edited by gruver
  • Like 8

On 6/2/2020 at 11:36 AM, gruver said:

Yes.  That's a new build apartment building in Columbus.  Here's another. Columbus (and other cities) seem to require a durable build in the city core and leave the vinyl/plastic/asphalt buildings we frequently see in Cleveland to the outer neighborhoods/suburbs. Imagine if we lined our grand old streets with buildings like these....

o.jpg

Wow, it's barely even a mansard roof (I mean, c'mon, there's a balcony), but that slight angle and faux shingling really gives that building a DC/European look. I've always been mostly content with the quasi bauhaus developments that Cleveland seems to produce, but now I would love to see more stuff like the above, particularly in the eastern neighborhoods where it would blend well.

• Like 5

Under the working LLC title of "Gracemount Village Homes," a Louisiana based developer plans 22 single family houses at 16200 Glendale Ave (Lee-Miles Neighborhood). A school was razed at the location in 2014. 

The development will be done 5 houses at a time, since the city wants to make sure the developer can follow through.

This same developer also intends to build on E 85th St in Hough. The start of that proposal went before the BZA in February, though I'm not sure the outcome.

23 minutes ago, tykaps said:

Under the working LLC title of "Gracemount Village Homes," a Louisiana based developer plans 22 single family houses at 16200 Glendale Ave (Lee-Miles Neighborhood). A school was razed at the location in 2014. 

The development will be done 5 houses at a time, since the city wants to make sure the developer can follow through.

This same developer also intends to build on E 85th St in Hough. The start of that proposal went before the BZA in February, though I'm not sure the outcome.

There are some homes nearing completion currently on East 85th, could these be from that developer?

3 minutes ago, scg80 said:

There are some homes nearing completion currently on East 85th, could these be from that developer?

They would be just north of the intersection with Chester. Is that where they are? Oh and here's the developer:

https://www.goldentriangledevelopment.net/hough-at-home-cleveland-oh

Edited by tykaps