Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KJP

Cleveland: East Side Neighborhood Development

Recommended Posts

A renewed vision for East Cleveland is taking shape

Jen Jones Donatelli | Thursday, January 24, 2019

 

As Sean L. Ward sees it, there will come a day where East Cleveland is mentioned in the same breath with Tremont and Waterloo as thriving, vibrant neighborhoods. And though he knows revitalization won’t happen overnight, he believes that the burgeoning East Cleveland Growth Association can help usher in much-needed change—and that the city is perfectly positioned for it.

“East Cleveland has potential for revitalization because of where it sits. It’s centrally located, it's on a main traffic artery, [and] the RTA station is in East Cleveland so it could be once again a public transportation hub,” says Ward, “Most importantly, the people are ready. They want a message they can believe from a voice they can trust, and they will come out in droves in support. ECGA is trying to be that voice.”

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/features/ecga012419.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Already posted in an East Cleveland thread.


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, yanni_gogolak said:

 

Oh, what's the difference between the two threads?

One relates to neighborhoods on the east side of Cleveland and the other discusses developments in the separate city of East Cleveland.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is in the Euclid-Green neighborhood, bordering on the city of Euclid. This is great news for that area which has a lot of factories built just before, during and after WWII but started fading away in the 1970s.....

 

 

  • Like 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 12:12 PM, yanni_gogolak said:

A renewed vision for East Cleveland is taking shape

Jen Jones Donatelli | Thursday, January 24, 2019

 

As Sean L. Ward sees it, there will come a day where East Cleveland is mentioned in the same breath with Tremont and Waterloo as thriving, vibrant neighborhoods. And though he knows revitalization won’t happen overnight, he believes that the burgeoning East Cleveland Growth Association can help usher in much-needed change—and that the city is perfectly positioned for it.

“East Cleveland has potential for revitalization because of where it sits. It’s centrally located, it's on a main traffic artery, [and] the RTA station is in East Cleveland so it could be once again a public transportation hub,” says Ward, “Most importantly, the people are ready. They want a message they can believe from a voice they can trust, and they will come out in droves in support. ECGA is trying to be that voice.”

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/features/ecga012419.aspx

 

Waterloo needs a boost.   Vacancies are getting up there, and it needs at least one more regional draw to complement the Beachland.   It's by no means moribund, but it's not Tremont either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big plan for Waterloo was to convince artists to purchase houses nearby.  Weirdly limiting.  A better plan would be fixing up all the dilapidated apartment buildings.  More walkable population means more support for businesses.  And this neighborhood ought to be jumping and screaming for RTA rail service. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^The local community development corporation spent over the last decade focusing on Waterloo, while Lake Shore and E. 185 got little attention. I may be biased, but E. 185 is one of the last surviving true neighborhood commercial corridors left on the east side of the entire city. It has deserved much more attention for years but got none. If any energy (money) should be spent in North Collinwood, it's there. Waterloo will be fine; time to give some help to another neighborhood street which could use it, IMO.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't disagree with any of this, as I live north of Lakeshore.   E. 156th also has some room to grow and bones to grow on.  It's unfortunate that Fanny's was torn down, especially since nothing else went in, but I suppose the building was beyond saving.   But other buildings in the area look fine at least externally, but are often empty.    Likewise the housing stock.   I don't see a lot of dilapidated houses and vacant lots like one does south of the freeway.

 

I could be wrong because I don't go down it much since the exit closed, but 185th doesn't seem to have a lot of vacancies.  Neither does Lakeshore, though crime in the towers area is getting a lot worse since they got converted from senior/disabled housing. 

 

 Waterloo itself seems to have more vacancies.   It's one big thing and a lot of little ones.   Two big things provide a synergy, if they are related they give a neighborhood character.   I said the same thing when I lived in Northfield Village, to the mayor actually.   The casino's impact would diminish if there wasn't one more thing, and while the casino is doing great that seems to be the case.  As for Waterloo, it's lost two of the significant "little businesses".  One to the 'net, but Cleveland Clothing simply moved.  Galleries are fine but they don't create presence when they are event based.  Citizen Pie has a reputation but it's quirky (what kind of pizza place doesn't take call in orders?) and Star Pop is awesome but small and intends to stay small. I'm not sure what Pop Life intends to do but its building dominates the street.   It seems like the construction set back the momentum and while Cindy Barber is pushing forward with the Beachland, she can't do it all even if it's her nature to try.

As for "help" I'm not sure what it needs that won't be internal.   

 

Edited by E Rocc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can agree with you on E. 156th, which has seen plenty of demos which have taken away from the overall feel of the street. The corner of Grovewood and E. 156th is one example. But take Lakeshore west of E. 156th- most of the commercial and multi-unit residential buildings along the stretch past St. Jeromes are vacant or has been torn down. Archies Bakery is leaving, which only leaves the daycare around E. 147th as the sole remaining business between E. 152nd and the Bratenahl boarder. In fact, if you'll take any of the side-streets south of Lake Shore down that stretch, you'll see many residential vacancies and many others which are past the point of repair and need to be demoed. E. 140th north of the freeway itself has been ignored for a long time. The side streets off of E. 140th, like Othello for example, have seen so much disinvestment that many of the structures may be beyond repair at this point.  Rewind the clock 15-20 years and the neighborhood didn't look like this, at all. And yes, I guess I'm getting to the point where I'm showing my age 🙂

 

But E. 185th is still viable. There are still businesses which have been there for years, like Scotti's, Martin's Mens Wear, and Family Sports, and Gus's Diner.  But theres been many closures over the years which have not been filled; Lakeshore Chevy straddles both Euclid and Collinwood and the entire site remains vacant. The storefronts where Asiatic Pets used to be were never filled. Johns Fun House is still vacant. The old Medic site takes up an entire block and has been vacant for at least 15 years. Most of the bars along the stretch which were there are now gone (remember the E. 185th Bar Crawl flyer?). But even with the loses the street is still walkable and is pretty physically intact minus the demo where the Horseshoe used to be. Focusing energy and creating a plan for the street (and then getting the money for it) could help keep what's there, and draw investment into the storefronts and surrounding residential side streets in both Collinwood and Euclid. 

 

Waterloo may have vacancies now, but those vacancies are nothing compared to what the street was like before the streetscape plan. Most of the storefronts were empty on the stretch. The plan, along with having an invaluable anchor like the Beachland, has helped the street immensely. That plan took time to formulate and fund. Could you imagine what E. 185th would be if given the same attention? I can but again, I'm biased 🙂

 

 

Edited by Oldmanladyluck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Oldmanladyluck said:

I can agree with you on E. 156th, which has seen plenty of demos which have taken away from the overall feel of the street. The corner of Grovewood and E. 156th is one example. But take Lakeshore west of E. 156th- most of the commercial and multi-unit residential buildings along the stretch past St. Jeromes are vacant or has been torn down. Archies Bakery is leaving, which only leaves the daycare around E. 147th as the sole remaining business between E. 152nd and the Bratenahl boarder. In fact, if you'll take any of the side-streets south of Lake Shore down that stretch, you'll see many residential vacancies and many others which are past the point of repair and need to be demoed. E. 140th north of the freeway itself has been ignored for a long time. The side streets off of E. 140th, like Othello for example, have seen so much disinvestment that many of the structures may be beyond repair at this point.  Rewind the clock 15-20 years and the neighborhood didn't look like this, at all. And yes, I guess I'm getting to the point where I'm showing my age 🙂

 

But E. 185th is still viable. There are still businesses which have been there for years, like Scotti's, Martin's Mens Wear, and Family Sports, and Gus's Diner.  But theres been many closures over the years which have not been filled; Lakeshore Chevy straddles both Euclid and Collinwood and the entire site remains vacant. The storefronts where Asiatic Pets used to be were never filled. Johns Fun House is still vacant. The old Medic site takes up an entire block and has been vacant for at least 15 years. Most of the bars along the stretch which were there are now gone (remember the E. 185th Bar Crawl flyer?). But even with the loses the street is still walkable and is pretty physically intact minus the demo where the Horseshoe used to be. Focusing energy and creating a plan for the street (and then getting the money for it) could help keep what's there, and draw investment into the storefronts and surrounding residential side streets in both Collinwood and Euclid. 

 

Waterloo may have vacancies now, but those vacancies are nothing compared to what the street was like before the streetscape plan. Most of the storefronts were empty on the stretch. The plan, along with having an invaluable anchor like the Beachland, has helped the street immensely. That plan took time to formulate and fund. Could you imagine what E. 185th would be if given the same attention? I can but again, I'm biased 🙂

 

 

 

I live right by E. 156th and Lakeshore, so I hear you on that part.   It does seem like it's mostly residential:  apartments to the south and houses to the north, with Lakeshore serving as a definitive DMZ between the two.   Pretty much all of the neighborhoods to the north between the water treatment plant and the Euclid Beach towers are officially private, and enforcement ranges from moderate to zealous.   As they are all dead end streets, they're a well kept secret.   They aren't inclined to budge for new development and Polensek is likely to back us on that.  There's businesses at 156 and Lakeshore, of varying respectability, and Dave's is always busy.

 

As for Archie Garner, his lease was non-renewed (presumably by the day care) so they are likely to expand.    I know Maple Heights has reached out to him, I think Waterloo has, and I am sure others have as well, looking at his page.

 

Cebar's at least is still active on 185 and acting as a "Beachland light".  My sister in law's band (also temporarily my brother's fourth band (!) ) is playing there soon.

Edited by E Rocc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard today that the lovely but abandoned apartment building at 8012 Carnegie (next to the site where Dunkin Donuts will be going) will be fully rehabbed shortly. It just transferred on 2/2/19 to a company called Global FR Investments. 

 

Also, funding is in place and the first apartment building in the Fairfax master plan should be starting construction in the near future.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which apartment building in the Fairfax master plan? Are you talking about the one proposed down by the East a 105th Quincy RTA station?

 


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That I'm not sure, other than its near the new park which is also complete other than a few minor tweaks which still need to be made once the weather turns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rezoning planned for the area around Shaker Blvd and Buckeye on the border of Woodland and Kinsman. The rezoning isn't special in and of itself, but it might encourage more Opportunity Zone money to these areas (assuming it's a designated OZ zone?) by clarifying the type of development the city wants to see. The area is ripe for TOD since it's basically on top of the Blue/Green line.

 

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/mc/pdf/MC2591-Public-Notification.pdf

 

woodland_rezoning.thumb.jpg.6fddfd8ffd3670dadc21ef132b524af5.jpg

Edited by Mendo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya some of the census track selections in CLE seem a little strange. 

Here is a map of proposed (red) and selected (green) tracts . 

https://fusiontables.googleusercontent.com/embedviz?q=select+col0>>1+from+1fDkrV_2PGtT98Psp0vgG1l98-PFYoJ5PctB9dJSm&viz=MAP&h=false&lat=41.47097764148716&lng=-81.69983881650114&t=1&z=11&l=col0>>1&y=2&tmplt=2&hml=KML

 

 

 

oz_2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like it will be similar to but smaller than the strip center on the west side of East 142nd.....

 

KINSMAN PLAZA

 Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Southeast Case #  SE 2019-010

Address:14201 Kinsman Road

Company:

Architect:Professional Design Consultants, Inc.

Description:

The scope of work for this project is to construct a new plaza with a total area of 6,336 SF, comprising of 3 units with the following areas:

Unit 1: 1,272 SF

Unit 2: 1,272 SF

Unit 3: 3,792 SF

These units will be used as tenant space for retail purposes. The new plaza will be located at the northeast corner of Kinsman Avenue and East 142nd Street, and the new site will be enhanced to reflect a better look than the previous old building. The site will reflect increased landscaping areas along the street lines and at its north line. The new building will be finished with red brick matching the surrounding neighborhood to reflect continuity. Black ornamental iron fencing, 4’ high, will be located along the front corner of Kinsman Avenue for enhanced frontage of the site.

Notes: 

Committee Actions/Submissions

Date:March 17, 2019

Committee:Local Design Review Committee

Action Type:Initial Plan Submission

 

It's currently an empty lot.....

 

Kinsman at E142-NE.JPG

 

The south side of Kinsman might be an empty lot soon too....

 

Kinsman at E142-SE.JPG

Edited by KJP
  • Poison 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope the East 79th Blue/Green line station also gets some much-needed attention soon too!

 

24U - E. 79TH STREET RED LINE RAPID STATION RECONSTRUCTION

 Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

East Case #  EAST 2019-013

Address:E. 79th Red Line Rapid Station

Company:GCRTA

Architect:GCRTA

Description:

New building and rehabilitation of E. 79th Street RTA station.

 

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3136&CASE=EAST 2019-013

 

City efforts to re-densify this area:

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default/files/pdf/presentations/2018-10-02Collier.OCCorridorEast79th.pdf

East 79th TOD plan aerial-2018.JPG

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KJP said:

Sounds like it will be similar to but smaller than the strip center on the west side of East 142nd.....

 

KINSMAN PLAZA

 Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Southeast Case #  SE 2019-010

Address:14201 Kinsman Road

Company:

Architect:Professional Design Consultants, Inc.

Description:

The scope of work for this project is to construct a new plaza with a total area of 6,336 SF, comprising of 3 units with the following areas:

Unit 1: 1,272 SF

Unit 2: 1,272 SF

Unit 3: 3,792 SF

These units will be used as tenant space for retail purposes. The new plaza will be located at the northeast corner of Kinsman Avenue and East 142nd Street, and the new site will be enhanced to reflect a better look than the previous old building. The site will reflect increased landscaping areas along the street lines and at its north line. The new building will be finished with red brick matching the surrounding neighborhood to reflect continuity. Black ornamental iron fencing, 4’ high, will be located along the front corner of Kinsman Avenue for enhanced frontage of the site.

Notes: 

Committee Actions/Submissions

Date:March 17, 2019

Committee:Local Design Review Committee

Action Type:Initial Plan Submission

 

It's currently an empty lot.....

 

Kinsman at E142-NE.JPG

 

The south side of Kinsman might be an empty lot soon too....

 

Kinsman at E142-SE.JPG

 

Why does the city love black iron fencing so much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ All around generally good news in there. I was very happy to see the vacancy rates in Lee-Harvard/Lee-Seville while there was hardly any demolition in those neighborhoods. All of the other neighborhoods had declining vacancy rates, but also massive demolitions to get rid of the vacant homes. I think those stats point to those neighborhoods certainly having stabilized, and probably even growing  again.  That would be great for the city, but also great from a regional perspective to have those neighborhoods rebounding. That would help put a stop to the spread of blight and decline to the southeast suburbs, especially with Maple, Garfield, and Warrensville starting to turn back around.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"CLEVELAND — Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson and several city officials are held a news conference Thursday outside a building slated for demolition to discuss the progress on the city’s "Safe Routes to School" program. Jackson said the program has made progress on demolishing many abandoned residential homes, and resources are now free to begin taking down larger commercial structures.

 

The Victoreen Building at 10101 Woodland Avenue is one of the abandoned properties set to be torn down as part of the program that aims to make walks home safer for Cleveland schoolchildren. Demolition on the blighted property began just after the news conference.

 

During the 11 a.m. news conference, Jackson said that so far, about $27 million has been invested in the Safe Routes program, with a focus on abandoned residential properties along routes home for students from school. Now that hundreds of residential properties have been demolished, the city is taking funds appropriated for Safe Routes and investing in the razing of larger commercial buildings that the city normally wouldn't invest in, Jackson said."

 

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/mayor-city-officials-hold-safe-routes-news-conference-outside-building-slated-for-demolition

 

"It will cost about $800,000 to raze the Victoreen Building, according to Ayonna Blue Donald, director of building and housing. That includes $200,000 to rid the site of asbestos.

 

Once the building is removed, the property should be attractive for development. It is just east of East 93rd Street and connections to the Opportunity Corridor, which already links to University Circle."

 

https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2019/05/cleveland-begins-razing-long-vacant-industrial-eyesore-on-the-east-side.html

Edited by imjustinjk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, imjustinjk said:

"CLEVELAND — Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson and several city officials are held a news conference Thursday outside a building slated for demolition to discuss the progress on the city’s "Safe Routes to School" program. Jackson said the program has made progress on demolishing many abandoned residential homes, and resources are now free to begin taking down larger commercial structures.

 

The Victoreen Building at 10101 Woodland Avenue is one of the abandoned properties set to be torn down as part of the program that aims to make walks home safer for Cleveland schoolchildren. Demolition on the blighted property began just after the news conference.

 

During the 11 a.m. news conference, Jackson said that so far, about $27 million has been invested in the Safe Routes program, with a focus on abandoned residential properties along routes home for students from school. Now that hundreds of residential properties have been demolished, the city is taking funds appropriated for Safe Routes and investing in the razing of larger commercial buildings that the city normally wouldn't invest in, Jackson said."

 

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/mayor-city-officials-hold-safe-routes-news-conference-outside-building-slated-for-demolition

 

"It will cost about $800,000 to raze the Victoreen Building, according to Ayonna Blue Donald, director of building and housing. That includes $200,000 to rid the site of asbestos.

 

Once the building is removed, the property should be attractive for development. It is just east of East 93rd Street and connections to the Opportunity Corridor, which already links to University Circle."

 

https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2019/05/cleveland-begins-razing-long-vacant-industrial-eyesore-on-the-east-side.html

This thread is a glorified demolition thread

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MyPhoneDead said:

This thread is a glorified demolition thread

 

Until east-side development stakeholders realize that "old" doesn't equal "blight" you're probably right.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes a pretty big vacant parcel between Woodhill and the tracks, just down the hill from the Woodhill Estates, which also is being evaluated for renovations. 

 

I hate to see demolition of our sturdy old industrial architecture, but if there is hazardous materials on site it can be the most cost-effective way to remediate the problem.

 

Redevelopment of this site to bring jobs to that area would be good for everyone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully some quality,  modern industrial spaces can be constructed as our industrial vacancy is very low. We need to be able to retain these businesses in the city that are moving to shiny new industrial parks out in the burbs (example Glenwillow’s new diamond business park). The east side / opportunity corridor area would really be a great place to do this. I’m not on all the up and up about this stuff, but I don’t think a lot of these older places fit the requirements of newer industrial needs - ceiling heights and all that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Opportunity Corridor.....

 

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3244&CASE=SE 2019-019

 

Southeast Design Review Case Report

NEIGHBORGREEN BUSINESS CENTER

 Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Southeast Case #  SE 2019-019

Address:2451 Road Woodhill

Company:Neighbor Green LLC

Architect:Stephen J, Kulcsar, Jr, Architect

Description:

Rehabilitation of an existing building for new office and business incubator

Notes: 

Committee Actions/Submissions

Date:June 6, 2019

Committee:Local Design Review Committee

Action Type:Initial Plan Submission

Conditions/Notes: 

 

Date:June 12, 2019

Committee:Local Design Review Committee

Action Type:Approved

Conditions: 

Approved as presented

 


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Opportunity Corridor.... Normally I would put this in the Opportunity Corridor thread. But since so few people venture into the transportation sections, I thought I'd post the photos in my blog and share it here. After all, the secondary purpose of the Opportunity Corridor is about changing land use...

 

 

THURSDAY, JUNE 20, 2019

Seeking opportunity in the Opportunity Corridor

 

This week I took a tour of the completed portion of the Opportunity Corridor, a project whose side mission is to change land use and turn dirt in a part of the city where the dirt hasn't been turned in a very long time.

 

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/06/seeking-opportunity-in-opportunity.html

 

OC14.jpg

 

OC9.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

A sign of things to come? A sign for Innovation Square adorns
the widened stretch of East 105th where a dense mix of homes,
stores, schools, churches and businesses stood. The goal is to
rebuild this neighborhood with 21st-century needs, such as
homes, stores, schools, churches and businesses (KJP)

😂

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I don't have photos at the moment and there's no groundbreaking, but there were signs for townhomes on Southwest corner of East 141st and Harvard.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, the county land bank is building a single-family home in Collinwood, and now this. What's next, The Grace L. Ferguson Airline And Storm Door Co., is buying Burke Lakefront Airport??? Who's running this place, Bob Newhart??

 

9:30 Calendar No. 19-139: 12423 Locke Ave. Ward 8 Michael Polensek 21 Notices Dot Landscaping and Snow Plowing, owner, proposes to establish use as a state-licensed Residential Facility for 8 persons in a B1 Two-Family Residential District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of the following sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances: 1. Section 325.571 which states that a "Residential Facility" means a publicly or privately operated home or facility, licensed pursuant to state law, that provides accommodations, supervision, and personal care services to any of the following: (a) one (1) or two (2) unrelated persons with mental illness; (b) one (1) or two (2) unrelated adults who are receiving residential state supplement payments as defined in the Ohio Revised Code; or three (3) to sixteen (16) unrelated adults. 2. Section 337.03 which states that a Residential Facility for 8 persons is not permitted in Two Family residential district, first permitted in Multi-Family District. 3. Section 337.02(h) which states that a Residential Facility in a One, Two, or Multi-Family District must be located not less than one thousand (1,000) feet from another residential facility. Another residential Facility is located within 1,000 feet of proposed use (Alpha-Omega Home at 433 East 123rd Street). (Filed June 12, 2019)

 

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2019/crr07-15-2019.pdf


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BoxSpot business incubator in Kinsman ready for Saturday debut with open-air market

 

At the corner of East 81st Street and Kinsman Road "BoxSpot could help small businesses grow by providing retail spaces that cost $275 to $450 a month in rent and utilities, or about 10 percent of what more typical storefronts in Cleveland could cost  ... The seven businesses opening at BoxSpot were selected from 97 applicants, showing the need for affordable retail space, Tramble said."

 

Link: https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/09/boxspot-business-incubator-in-kinsman-ready-for-saturday-debut-with-open-air-market.html

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2019 at 3:49 PM, KJP said:

Sounds like it will be similar to but smaller than the strip center on the west side of East 142nd.....

 

KINSMAN PLAZA

 Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Southeast Case #  SE 2019-010

Address:14201 Kinsman Road

Company:

Architect:Professional Design Consultants, Inc.

Description:

The scope of work for this project is to construct a new plaza with a total area of 6,336 SF, comprising of 3 units with the following areas:

Unit 1: 1,272 SF

Unit 2: 1,272 SF

Unit 3: 3,792 SF

These units will be used as tenant space for retail purposes. The new plaza will be located at the northeast corner of Kinsman Avenue and East 142nd Street, and the new site will be enhanced to reflect a better look than the previous old building. The site will reflect increased landscaping areas along the street lines and at its north line. The new building will be finished with red brick matching the surrounding neighborhood to reflect continuity. Black ornamental iron fencing, 4’ high, will be located along the front corner of Kinsman Avenue for enhanced frontage of the site.

Notes: 

Committee Actions/Submissions

Date:March 17, 2019

Committee:Local Design Review Committee

Action Type:Initial Plan Submission

 

It's currently an empty lot.....

 

Kinsman at E142-NE.JPG

 

The south side of Kinsman might be an empty lot soon too....

 

Kinsman at E142-SE.JPG

The last photo used to be Sack's Drug Store, 60 years ago.  I had my first bike stolen from the front of Sack's.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 3:16 PM, JohnCurran1996 said:

The original Woodland Cemetery Gatehouse is in the process of being rebuilt at 6828 Woodland Avenue located dtw

Very cool gothic structure coming back from the dead!1922523944_ScreenShot2019-06-10at2_54_52PM.thumb.png.f8f293b1dfd17d041137cba4502d260e.pngpilessss.thumb.jpg.6133dc2f89baed360dc805e6a5a0705f.jpgpiles.thumb.jpg.9c27607164ba4e7a715a3c425e198195.jpgwoodlandgate.thumb.jpg.c7acb0dfe03b71a7b3aa168458f1bce3.jpg2078385972_ScreenShot2019-06-10at3_03_37PM.thumb.png.6fc38e2a9d6f0a97ecef8ef25a961362.png 

http://www.wcfcle.org

link to an old article

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/10/foundation_chief_leads_restora.html

Here are some photos 

In the 2nd & 3rd photos, are those tombstones and graves that have been desecrated?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure that's just rubble from the old gatehouse.

  • Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland, CMHA teaming up on $35M plan to replace antiquated housing, makeover East Side neighborhood

 

https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2019/10/cleveland-cmha-teaming-up-on-35m-plan-to-replace-antiquated-housing-makeover-east-side-neighborhood.html

 

“...The grant, coupled with local funding, would allow CMHA to replace the housing at Woodhill Homes, which has nearly 500 apartments at Woodland Avenue and Woodhill Road...”

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One day, I'm going to spend some time creating the list of East side neighborhood threads  to match the west side:

 

House of Wills: Long abandoned Cleveland funeral home with fascinating past gets new life (photos)

The Plain Dealer

 

CLEVELAND, Ohio - If any place should have its share of ghosts, it would be Cleveland’s House of Wills. But to call the crumbling funeral home with the mysterious name on East 55th Street haunted is to trivialize its story.

 

Though many people’s thoughts turn to the looming 50,000-square-foot edifice around Halloween as they imagine the spirits that loom behind its ivy-covered walls, the House of Wills deserves attention all year.

 

https://www.cleveland.com/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/10/85aeeb239f5112/house-of-wills-long-abandoned-cleveland-funeral-home-with-fascinating-past-gets-new-life-photos.html

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...