Sign in to follow this  
Guest ColDayMan

CBS News: "State Budgets: The Day of Reckoning."

So we should put an end to double dipping and raise the age at which public employees can access their pensions.  Both would help taxpayers.  If they don't like it, they can quit and go into the private sector to make "more money."  My guess is most of them would pass on that option.

^ I prefer ending double-dipping for different reasons so we agree on that premise.  I also think that OPERS should phase out defined benefit pensions altogether and have all new hires go into a defined contribution program.  They currently offer defined contribution as an option but I'd like to see it be the only choice.

Not positive at all about this, but I don't think you can double dip in the same position.  And you definitely can't double dip a pension.  And, no, retirement eligible employees would not continue working if you eliminated double dipping. 

^ I prefer ending double-dipping for different reasons so we agree on that premise.  I also think that OPERS should phase out defined benefit pensions altogether and have all new hires go into a defined contribution program.  They currently offer defined contribution as an option but I'd like to see it be the only choice.

In the last round of pension reform (2013ish) OPERS did add a minimum retirement age which didn't exist before. It used to only be based on years of service.

There are pluses and minuses to removing the traditional pension plan. For a lot of employees you'd have to dramatically raise pay if you want competent people to work for the government. And that may still be financially cheaper overall, I don't know.

^ public pensions have very generous employer matches which still make them worthwhile even as a defined contribution.  However, Ohio has a decently funded public pension system.

Not positive at all about this, but I don't think you can double dip in the same position.  And you definitely can't double dip a pension.  And, no, retirement eligible employees would not continue working if you eliminated double dipping. 

Cleveland City Council sure supports it.

Martin Sweeney did it and retained seniority.  http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index.ssf/2014/01/outgoing_cleveland_city_counci_1.html

So did Jeffrey Johnson.  http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_city_council_allows.html

And Mayor Jackson must be down with it as well.  Look at the list of people hired back days after.  And these aren't low paying jobs.  $120K, $110K a year.  http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/01/cleveland_has_hired_double-dip.html

I agree public officials double dipping is a concern.  Just not sure that the same concern applies to public employees.  BTW, each instance you cited involves non bargaining unit positions, FWIW.  They are all management positions. 

I agree public officials double dipping is a concern.  Just not sure that the same concern applies to public employees.  BTW, each instance you cited involves non bargaining unit positions, FWIW.  They are all management positions. 

Actually in the third article, it states there were lower ranking employees, including 12 part-time positions who had done it in the Jackson administration.  It happens more than we know--only the big names get press coverage.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with the bargaining unit or the CBA.  And part time employees are usually not bargaining unit members.  Point being, this is not one of those issues you can use in your attacks on public employee unions.  It's not a bargained for benefit.  It is an administrative / management decision to rehire retirees