noozer

Columbus: Scioto Peninsula Developments and News

Columbus is so fortunate to get such a high quality, world class museum. Hopefully Columbus can get another world class museum or cultural attraction somewhere downtown or on the peninsula and continue to bolster its notoriety. 

With Pizzuti and the Columbus Art Museum merging it would be cool to have a starchitect designed modern art museum using the Pizzuti collection which tends to be more contemporary, with the more classic works remaining in the current art museum Downtown. 

9 hours ago, Lucas_uLsac said:

Columbus is so fortunate to get such a high quality, world class museum. Hopefully Columbus can get another world class museum or cultural attraction somewhere downtown or on the peninsula and continue to bolster its notoriety. 

I would love to see another cultural attraction of some size on the triangle of land south of COSI that they were going to put that zoo component on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toddguy said:

I would love to see another cultural attraction of some size on the triangle of land south of COSI that they were going to put that zoo component on.

I've heard rumors of a high caliber museum like a Natural History Museum going in this plot of land. I've also heard the zoo still wants to build an aquarium. I would be happy with either. 

3 hours ago, Lucas_uLsac said:

I've heard rumors of a high caliber museum like a Natural History Museum going in this plot of land. I've also heard the zoo still wants to build an aquarium. I would be happy with either. 

Wexner has been interested for a while in a greater Natural History Museum for Columbus, and as I understand it, the AMNH partnership with COSI is serving as a little trial run. The name itself isn't resonating much with locals I have been told but the content is killing it and brining attendance. The rumors are that once the AMNH partnership wraps, Wexner is looking to bring/build a full blown Natural History Museum Downtown/Franklinton. 

Wexner is getting older, he wants to make a lasting mark, this is big money philanthropics to the likes of Carnegie from the rumblings I've heard. I would love this to come to fruition. 

• Like 1

Unless it's mostly privately funded, I seriously doubt the zoo expansion will ever happen.  Or the zoo needs to be clearer as to how the funding for it will work and exactly what it will pay for.  The public vote really didn't go well last time, though admittedly that outcome was heavily influenced by outside conservative money for some reason.

Edited by jonoh81

20 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

Unless it's mostly privately funded, I seriously doubt the zoo expansion will ever happen.  Or the zoo needs to be clearer as to how the funding for it will work and exactly what it will pay for.  The public vote really didn't go well last time, though admittedly that outcome was heavily influenced by outside conservative money for some reason.

I had just moved here when that was going on and man, that was a weird election. I never expected to see Koch money trying to end a zoo project, they tend to lose their minds over transit projects or wage issues, not cultural attractions. Hopefully that all does become something soon because it's prime real estate just itching for something big. Does anyone know who owns the land currently? Still the zoo or did it shift back to the city?

22 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

I had just moved here when that was going on and man, that was a weird election. I never expected to see Koch money trying to end a zoo project, they tend to lose their minds over transit projects or wage issues, not cultural attractions. Hopefully that all does become something soon because it's prime real estate just itching for something big. Does anyone know who owns the land currently? Still the zoo or did it shift back to the city?

As far as I know, that was the only local vote that has ever received serious national attention like that. Columbus tends to be very supportive of its cultural institutions and parks.  The issue was made out to be about an out of control zoo spending like a drunken sailor at the expense of poor taxpayers, which was ridiculous.  Politically, everything has been a total cluster.... the last 5 years everywhere.   It makes things unpredictable.  

41 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

Hopefully that all does become something soon because it's prime real estate just itching for something big. Does anyone know who owns the land currently? Still the zoo or did it shift back to the city?

Pretty sure the city owns the entirety of the Scioto Peninsula.

Plan Revealed for First Phase of Scioto Peninsula Development

"The Columbus Downtown Development Corporation (CDDC) unveiled a plan today for the first phase of the redevelopment of the Scioto Peninsula.The new plan involves six acres of land in the center of the site and calls for an eight-story hotel, flanked by an 11-story residential building and an eight-story office building. Directly to the west of those three buildings – each of which will front Belle Street and look out on Dorian Green, the park that serves as COSI’s front lawn – will be two additional residential buildings and a second hotel building.

Also planned is a 1,400-space parking garage, to be built on three acres of land between Starling Street and the railroad tracks."

https://www.columbusunderground.com/plan-revealed-for-first-phase-of-scioto-peninsula-development-bw1

image.thumb.png.7e81a0f9ae74cd719f50eea14fa638b4.png

https://www.columbusunderground.com/plan-revealed-for-first-phase-of-scioto-peninsula-development-bw1

Edited by capitalkid1991
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, capitalkid1991 said:

Plan Revealed for First Phase of Scioto Peninsula Development

"The Columbus Downtown Development Corporation (CDDC) unveiled a plan today for the first phase of the redevelopment of the Scioto Peninsula.The new plan involves six acres of land in the center of the site and calls for an eight-story hotel, flanked by an 11-story residential building and an eight-story office building. Directly to the west of those three buildings – each of which will front Belle Street and look out on Dorian Green, the park that serves as COSI’s front lawn – will be two additional residential buildings and a second hotel building.

Also planned is a 1,400-space parking garage, to be built on three acres of land between Starling Street and the railroad tracks."

image.thumb.png.7e81a0f9ae74cd719f50eea14fa638b4.png

Great start! This area is going to be electric in a few years!

• Like 3

Business First has a long article on this as well.  Unfortunately its behind their paywall.  But here's a synopsis:

The Scioto Peninsula project is back: Three developers picked to kickstart $250M Franklinton revival

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/08/16/the-scioto-peninsula-project-is-back-three.html

Three developers have been selected to spearhead a nine-acre, $250 million development that will launch the highly anticipated Scioto Peninsula project.

Columbus Downtown Development Corp., which is serving as master developer for the 26-acre strip of land in East Franklinton, has opted to move forward with a nine-acre first phase of the project, which will include half a dozen mid-rise buildings between Belle Street and the railroad tracks.

The developers – Daimler Group and Rockbridge out of Columbus, and Flaherty & Collins out of Indianapolis – will build at least six buildings ranging from 6 to 11 stories, including two hotels, 550 apartments, 45,000 square feet of ground floor retail and 240,000 square feet of office.  Behind them, a new 1,400-space parking garage is to be constructed abutting the raised railway.

All of the buildings other than the parking complexes are now scheduled to break ground in spring 2020 and be built simultaneously, while the garage will start that fall.  They're projected for completion in June 2022.

Also there is this:

And the developer is now envisioning a much bolder long-term plan for the 26 acres of land, which it now thinks could support 2 million square feet of office, 1,800 residential units, 400 hotel rooms and 200,000 square feet of retail.

The previous plan (from Buckingham) had been for 1,700 residential units, 800,000 square feet of office space, 150,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space, and a 150-room hotel.

• Like 3

This is breaking ground in the spring? Holy crap, next year is gonna be huge for Columbus development. 

- Hilton 2.0

- North Market Tower

- Crew Stadium

- Gravity 2.0 

- Upper Arlington mixed-use tower

- Scioto Peninsula

Those are just the big name projects that should be breaking ground, not to much everything currently under construction and other smaller projects to come on line. 

• Like 3

Huge news, I love it! I can't believe this was dropped on a Friday afternoon like this. 

Is the Veteran's Memorial parking lot going to be apart of this overall redevelopment? I sure hope so, buildings and a parking deck would be best for that area, IMO.

Edited by 4N6science

Wow, bombshell announcement this Friday! Below is the initial write-up from the Dispatch:

https://www.dispatch.com/business/20190816/apartments-offices-hotels-announced-for-scioto-peninsula

Really impressive plan for the land; I really like the design, massing, and detail. Hopefully the materials used are as first-rate as the images make them out to be (no repeat of the Edwards Gay St. development, please). I also wonder how this will meld with Gravity 2.0 across the railroad tracks - given the designs for both, they should integrate well. Hopefully all continues as planned and we see the groundbreaking come to fruition this Spring.

• Like 1

Yeah, I HOPE they integrate with Gravity 2.0.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I dunno.  I haven't clicked on their website since they tried suing us a while back.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I'm impressed with how swiftly the timeline on this is set to move. Every single one of these developers are known for being able to pull of big projects and has been quite successful in their extended management of them, this is a really good combination and win for the city. 

Also, interestingly enough, Flahrety & Collins is pretty good at leasing the retail out in their developments and from my understanding have had a good track record with pulling in grocers to their urban developments. Maybe there is hope for a little win on that front as well. 

• Like 3

Great news! With the Crew Stadium and now this development coming online, I would hope this means we'll get plans in a hurry to connect the Arena District to the Scioto peninsula through a bridge of some sort? With all the development in Franklinton, seems like a big miss not to have one. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, CBdowntowner said:

Great news! With the Crew Stadium and now this development coming online, I would hope this means we'll get plans in a hurry to connect the Arena District to the Scioto peninsula through a bridge of some sort? With all the development in Franklinton, seems like a big miss not to have one. 

Honestly instead of the ridiculous "COSI Connector" project (the glass tunnel through COSI connecting it to the riverfront), I'd rather see CDDC focus their next efforts on this. I'd love to see a revival of the pedestrian bridge concepts floated connecting NVVM to the Arena District, let's one up Bridge Park and build something useful but also show stopping. 

archbeam4.jpg.be1f0d268f65d4fec7dbf60fc3fa1b45.jpg

suspension4.jpg.d8679cab81c16633d34449303cecac45.jpg

These were some of the designs floated back in 2010(?) I believe in response to an RFQ from the City that never went anywhere. 

• Like 2

Get to know the three developers kickstarting Scioto Peninsula

2-scioto-peninsula-vision-looking-east-c

Two Columbus companies and an Indianapolis firm have been chosen to reboot the $250 million Scioto Peninsula project.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/08/16/get-to-know-the-three-developers-kickstarting.html

27 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

Honestly instead of the ridiculous "COSI Connector" project (the glass tunnel through COSI connecting it to the riverfront), I'd rather see CDDC focus their next efforts on this. I'd love to see a revival of the pedestrian bridge concepts floated connecting NVVM to the Arena District, let's one up Bridge Park and build something useful but also show stopping. 

archbeam4.jpg.be1f0d268f65d4fec7dbf60fc3fa1b45.jpg

suspension4.jpg.d8679cab81c16633d34449303cecac45.jpg

These were some of the designs floated back in 2010(?) I believe in response to an RFQ from the City that never went anywhere. 

I was reading in an article recently about the OSU campus framework 2.0 project.  There is a long term goal there to get a direct connection from campus to Franklinton, so I can see something like this happening.  OSU has been trying to get a big tech company to come here for a while and from what I hear, got really close with the Apple campus that just went to Austin.  I would imagine this all part of a larger plan for a tech company to land in Franklinton and have a lot of OSU students going there.  Not to mention, CoverMyMeds will already be there.  Gonna be a very interesting next several years.  I think we are finally entering the boom.

Edited by TH3BUDDHA
  • Like 2

Here are some of the renderings with descriptions from the Business First slideshow:

Columbus Downtown Development Corp. has selected three developers - Daimler Group and Rockbridge of Columbus and Flaherty & Collins of Indianapolis - to develop a $250 million first phase of the Scioto Peninsula (three buildings in center)

1-scioto-peninsula-vision-looking-west-c

An overhead view of the six blocks of development in the first phase of Scioto Peninsula, with office building at left, hotels in center, and residential at right.  Buildings on either side are "aspirational future phases", CDDC said.

2-scioto-peninsula-vision-looking-east-c

A look at the tallest, 11-story residential building in the first phase.  Flaherty & Collins is building 550 residential units.

4-residential-1-credit-courtesy-of-flahe

Overall, Flaherty & Collins 550 residential units will sit in at least three buildings on two blocks.

5-residential-2-credit-courtesy-of-flahe

Daimler Group's 240,000 square foot, 8-story office building will have ground floor retail.

6-office-credit-courtesy-of-the-daimler-

Rockbridge is planning a unique 180-room hotel for the center of the first phase.

7-hotel-1-credit-courtesy-of-rockbridge-

The 180-room hotel will have retail elements interspersed around the ground floor.

scioto-peninsula-07-hotel.jpg

3 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

I dunno.  I haven't clicked on their website since they tried suing us a while back.

Wait, what?

3 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

A couple more images courtesy of ColumbusUnderground:

scioto-peninsula-02-street-level-620x349

scioto-peninsula-07-hotel-620x398.jpg

scioto-peninsula-03-apartments-1-620x413

That last rendering looks suspiciously like the original 235 S. High proposal, just flipped. 

Also, while it's all fine, I hope they put in some actual high rises with the larger portion of the Peninsula. I thought one of the reasons that Buckingham lost the bid was because they were going too small with the development.  This proposal is only marginally taller.  At least some of the development east of the railroad tracks should be taller than anything west of them, and we have 12 stories to the west with Gravity 2.0.

Edited by jonoh81
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

Wait, what?

That's a long, water-under-the-bridge story...

30 minutes ago, jeremyck01 said:

A lot of this proposal reminds me of the Slabtown neighborhood in Portland, OR.  That's a very good thing.  

LL-Hawkins-DSC_2444_tonemappedWEB.jpg

844170f96e9345b5a1ba377247e95dd7.jpg

Jones-Architecture_Bloc-295-The-Carson_2

00003635418700-0021.jpg

Let's hope it turns out that nicely...

I notice they have a placeholder building in that triangle of land where they were planning the zoo expansion. I wonder if they have something planned for that space that isn't announced yet. 

Also, this development is on over a third of the land that they have to develop, and yet barely has 10% of the office space planned. That would suggest future phases should have much taller office buildings, yes?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, drtom1234 said:

I notice they have a placeholder building in that triangle of land where they were planning the zoo expansion. I wonder if they have something planned for that space that isn't announced yet. 

Also, this development is on over a third of the land that they have to develop, and yet barely has 10% of the office space planned. That would suggest future phases should have much taller office buildings, yes?

That piece of land is actually owned by the city and as far as I understand, they have some bigger plans for that spot (and the lot the police outpost currently sits on across Starling) that involve a new cultural institution. I have heard some bigger players in the city want to elevate the museum/cultural amenity offerings to pull Columbus up with it's peers and they see the Peninsula as a place to make it happen, kind of a museum district. What that exact plan is? Not sure, but I have been hearing about these plans for a while so it my guess is that things are still progressing. 

I would love if this development turned out as great as Slabtown in Portland, it's an amazing area... In fact, we just need to just go full tilt and steal the streetcar/light rail piece of it as well! One can dream right?

Overall my guess is that these first three pieces of development will end up being the smallest pieces we will see on the peninsula and that's exciting to think about. 

Edited by DevolsDance
  • Like 2

I love this project and enjoy what they have released so far, and I am excited about seeing the future phases. It would be amazing if future phases of the project would include some type of green building, like they are doing in Singapore. With it being the peninsula, it would be great to have it include a lot of nature and greenery. I understand it can add a ton of cost, but it looks great and would look perfect in that location.