Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JohnOSU99

The Ohio State University Buckeyes Football Discussion

Recommended Posts

Three former Buckeyes -- Joe Burrow, Chase Young and Jeff Okudah -- were selected with the first three picks in the 2020 NFL Draft(!)

 

Yes I know, Burrow played the last two seasons for LSU.  But I said "former Buckeyes", and Burrow - like Young and Okudah - are former Buckeyes.  Later in the first round cornerback Damon Arnette was selected with the #19 overall pick.

 

Chase Young's selection gave the Buckeyes 82 first-round picks all-time - moving them one pick ahead of USC's total of 81 first-round selections.  The additional picks of Okudah and Arnette gave the OSU program 84 first-round picks all-time, while USC added one more first-rounder to have 82 at night's end:

 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2020/04/113647/ohio-state-passes-usc-for-most-first-round-nfl-draft-picks-all-time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2020 DRAFT RECAP:  https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2020/04/113717/ohio-state-ties-for-second-among-all-schools-with-10-players-drafted-including-seven-top-100-picks

 

-- With 10 total picks in the 2020 draft, Ohio State was second only to LSU with 14; third in first-round picks behind LSU (5) and Alabama (4); and third with seven top-100 picks behind LSU (14) and Alabama (9)

 

-- Ohio State has had at least seven players selected in five consecutive NFL drafts, the second-longest streak among all schools behind only Alabama.

 

-- Ohio State has had 45 NFL draft picks in the past five years, also the second-most among all schools in the past five years behind only Alabama with 48.

 

-- And Ohio State now has 84 first-round picks all-time since the beginning of the NFL's modern draft in 1970; two more than second-place USC.

 

Here are the OSU players selected in the 2020 draft:

  • DE Chase Young to Washington with the #2 overall pick in the first round
  • CB Jeff Okudah to Detroit with the #3 overall pick in the first round
  • CB Damon Arnette to the Raiders with the #19 overall pick in the first round
  • RB J.K. Dobbins to Baltimore with the #55 overall pick in the second round
  • DT DaVon Hamilton to Jacksonville with the #73 overall pick in the third round
  • OL Jonah Jackson to Detroit with the #75 overall pick in the third round
  • LB Malik Harrison to Baltimore with the #98 overall pick in the third round
  • FS Jordan Fuller to the Rams with the #199 overall pick in the sixth round
  • WR K.J. Hill to the Chargers with the #220 overall pick in the seventh round
  • DT Jashon Cornell to Detroit with the #235 overall pick in the seventh round

Five additional Buckeyes were signed as undrafted free agents by NFL teams: TE Rashod Berry (New England), OL Branden Bowen (Carolina), WR Austin Mack (NY Giants), WR Binjimen Victor (NY Giants) and long snapper Liam McCullough (Raiders).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith gives his thoughts on what college football games might look like this fall:

 

https://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/20200520/full-stands-at-horseshoe-unlikely-this-fall-says-ohio-state-ad-gene-smith

 

Some highlights from the article:

 

-- If the current social-distancing requirements forced by COVID-19 are still used this fall, it likely would limit attendance to a fraction of the over 100,000 who usually fill Ohio Stadium.  Though not set in stone, attendance would likely be limited to around 20,000-22,000.  If social-distancing guidelines were relaxed, attendance could be as much as 50,000.

 

-- How OSU determines which fans would be allowed to attend is still being decided.  Although Smith said it would likely be based in part on a point system used to assign seats.  He said players’ parents and guests of players/coaches would have highest priority.

 

-- Last month, Smith said he would be opposed to the 2020 season being played without fans - with the rationale that if football wasn’t deemed safe enough for spectators, it wouldn’t be for players.  But after conversations with counterparts in the Big Ten and around the country, he is becoming more comfortable with the idea of playing in front of empty stadiums, if necessary.

 

-- Whether there will be a 2020 season at all still remains in question.  Smith said he believes a decision needs to be made on that by early July.

 

-- Ohio State is scheduled to open the 2020 season on Sept. 5 at home against Bowling Green.  There has been speculation that COVID-19 could cause teams to cancel non-conference games.  Asked how many games could be cut and still have a viable season, Smith said he hopes to play all 12 regular-season games but would probably be comfortable with as few as eight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just dont get playing mac teams. that's old school oklahoma style padding the schedule. i thought osu was above that? i mean it can only hurt in the rankings. it seems to have become a tradition now though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, mrnyc said:

i just dont get playing mac teams. that's old school oklahoma style padding the schedule. i thought osu was above that? i mean it can only hurt in the rankings. it seems to have become a tradition now though.

 

Several years ago the state legislature mandated at least one in-state game -- to keep the preseason game $$ in Ohio. 

 

Edit:  After further research, I think I was mistaken -- it appears to have been an Ohio State/Jim Tressel policy, not a mandate from the state as I had thought.

Edited by Foraker
Correcting an error.
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mrnyc said:

i just dont get playing mac teams. that's old school oklahoma style padding the schedule. i thought osu was above that? i mean it can only hurt in the rankings. it seems to have become a tradition now though.

 

Does it hurt in the rankings?  When has "oops, they played a MAC (or similar) school...gotta dock them" ever happened?

 

-2019: Florida Atlantic, Cincinnati, Miami OH (still made playoffs as 2 seed)

-2018: Oregon State, Tulane, neutral site with TCU (missed playoffs because they gave up 49 to Purdue)

-2017: Oklahoma, Army, UNLV (missed playoffs because they gave up 55 to Iowa)

-2016: Bowling Green, Tulsa, at Oklahoma (made playoffs)

-2015: at Virginia Tech, Hawaii, NIU, Western Michigan (missed playoffs because they forgot Zeke Elliott was on the team against Sparty)

-2014: Navy, Virginia Tech, Kent State, Cincinnati (made playoffs)

-2013: Buffalo, San Diego State, at California, Florida A&M (1AA - if I recall, this was scheduled to be an SEC team? Georgia or Tennessee?) (missed BCS because they forgot Carlos Hyde was their running back against Sparty)

-2012: Miami OH, Cal, UCF, UAB (missed BCS because Gene Smith was a moron and also the team wasn't good anyway)

-2011: Akron, Toldeo, at Miami FL, Colorado (Fickell year...team was bad)

-2010: Marhsall, Miami FL, Ohio U, Eastern Michigan (missed BCS because they lost at Wisconsin, and not sure they'd get it because that was the Cam Newton year and Oregon with Chip Kelly)

-2009: Navy, USC, Toledo, New Mexico State (team wasn't making the BCS)

-2008: Youngstown State (1AA), Ohio U, at USC, Troy (Pryor's first year...not a great team)

 

Only 2018 and 2017 didn't feature a MAC opponent.  Teams are mostly penalized for losing, so why add another risk to the mix?  They lost to their toughest OOC opponent in 2014 (Va Tech) and still won the title.

 

If you want to talk about schedule padding, let's discuss Alabama and the SEC scheduling 1AA opponents the week before rivalry week/the final week of the regular season.


Very Stable Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about the state legislature mandating at least one in-state game with OSU (I haven't heard of this, but if you've got a link I'll stand corrected).  But when Tressel took over from Cooper, he pretty much mandated an in-state game.  Which makes alot sense, because if OSU needs to pay non-conference teams to appear on the schedule, you might as well keep the money in the state.

 

As far as scheduling MAC schools hurting OSU's rankings, I don't think it does.  Since the Big Ten started requiring 9 B1G games instead of 8, it only leaves 3 non-conference games on the schedule.  And since losses in college football aren't like losses in college basketball, you don't really want to (or need to) load up on super difficult teams in those 3 games.  One difficult opponent plus two respectable-but-beatable opponents is pretty standard.  Which is what OSU has for 2020 - BG, Oregon, and then Buffalo before the nine Big Ten games.

 

(EDIT:  D&S posted about this with more detail before I hit submit) 🏈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

 

Does it hurt in the rankings?  When has "oops, they played a MAC (or similar) school...gotta dock them" ever happened?

 

-2019: Florida Atlantic, Cincinnati, Miami OH (still made playoffs as 2 seed)

-2018: Oregon State, Tulane, neutral site with TCU (missed playoffs because they gave up 49 to Purdue)

-2017: Oklahoma, Army, UNLV (missed playoffs because they gave up 55 to Iowa)

-2016: Bowling Green, Tulsa, at Oklahoma (made playoffs)

-2015: at Virginia Tech, Hawaii, NIU, Western Michigan (missed playoffs because they forgot Zeke Elliott was on the team against Sparty)

-2014: Navy, Virginia Tech, Kent State, Cincinnati (made playoffs)

-2013: Buffalo, San Diego State, at California, Florida A&M (1AA - if I recall, this was scheduled to be an SEC team? Georgia or Tennessee?) (missed BCS because they forgot Carlos Hyde was their running back against Sparty)

-2012: Miami OH, Cal, UCF, UAB (missed BCS because Gene Smith was a moron and also the team wasn't good anyway)

-2011: Akron, Toldeo, at Miami FL, Colorado (Fickell year...team was bad)

-2010: Marhsall, Miami FL, Ohio U, Eastern Michigan (missed BCS because they lost at Wisconsin, and not sure they'd get it because that was the Cam Newton year and Oregon with Chip Kelly)

-2009: Navy, USC, Toledo, New Mexico State (team wasn't making the BCS)

-2008: Youngstown State (1AA), Ohio U, at USC, Troy (Pryor's first year...not a great team)

 

Only 2018 and 2017 didn't feature a MAC opponent.  Teams are mostly penalized for losing, so why add another risk to the mix?  They lost to their toughest OOC opponent in 2014 (Va Tech) and still won the title.

 

If you want to talk about schedule padding, let's discuss Alabama and the SEC scheduling 1AA opponents the week before rivalry week/the final week of the regular season.

 

so it is padding, but doesnt hurt because of the win? i thought the value of the win is weighted on how the losing team's season ends up? no? but you are saying a win is a win.

 

i mean i see what you mean, but playing for cheap early wins just to get in the playoff is kind of a bummer. and it seems thats even a gamble if its tight for playoff choices. why not just erase doubt and prove yourself playing quality early?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mrnyc said:

so it is padding, but doesnt hurt because of the win? i thought the value of the win is weighted on how the losing team's season ends up? no? but you are saying a win is a win.

 

i mean i see what you mean, but playing for cheap early wins just to get in the playoff is kind of a bummer. and it seems thats even a gamble if its tight for playoff choices. why not just erase doubt and prove yourself playing quality early?

 

I mean, if teams only schedule other teams that go 1-11, sure, that's bad.  See: UCF, TCUs of the world.

 

But Ohio State will always have "good enough" opponents on their schedule.  Clemson doesn't exactly play a world beaters schedule and they seem to do fine when it comes to making the playoff.

 

Plus, for better or for worse, there's always recency bias.  Even the committee cares more about the last 3-4 games played than beating ACC, SEC, and Big 12 teams in September.

  • Like 1

Very Stable Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Columbo said:

I don't know about the state legislature mandating at least one in-state game with OSU (I haven't heard of this, but if you've got a link I'll stand corrected).  But when Tressel took over from Cooper, he pretty much mandated an in-state game.  Which makes alot sense, because if OSU needs to pay non-conference teams to appear on the schedule, you might as well keep the money in the state.

 

 

After further research, I think I was mistaken -- it appears to have been an Ohio State/Jim Tressel policy, not a mandate from the state as I had thought.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ that makes sense. i’m just not a fan of it at all. there is osu and a huge gulf in ohio. also i like my mac and the rest in their own worlds.

 

osu would do better to go back to carefully chosing the three early non conference games around the country to show off what they got. also to keep the team well seasoned with travel and away games, which often has been problematic their bowl losses. i guess a couple bunny games are ok, with at least one marquee early game, but ditch the mac matchups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just gotta make sure the schedule doesn't fill up with Washington States and BYUs like it did in '80s. I'd still rather see BG and Kent rather than them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...