The Ohio State University Buckeyes Football Discussion

JohnOSU99

There are many Bearcat fans at Ohio State

REALLY?!?!?!?

News to me :-o

Let's see...what state is CINCINNATI in again?

Yes...you're right, Cincinnati is in Ohio, so is Cleveland....ask me how many Clevelanders are Bengal fans and vice versa?  My point is this:  I am an Ohio fan to a certain extent, for the most part I will cheer on any other team in Ohio.  I also enjoy seeing OSU win big games; however, I also get a slight enjoyment out of seeing OSU struggle....just because of the sheer obnoxious attitudes of OSU fans.

When they lose its one less day that I have to hear from the OSU choo choo about how damn good they are....whether they warrant the accolades or not.

REALLY?!?!?!?

News to me :-o

You've witnessed one in this thread already.  Unless, of course, the westside has slow news ;).

Yes...you're right, Cincinnati is in Ohio, so is Cleveland....ask me how many Clevelanders are Bengal fans and vice versa?  My point is this:  I am an Ohio fan to a certain extent, for the most part I will cheer on any other team in Ohio.  I also enjoy seeing OSU win big games; however, I also get a slight enjoyment out of seeing OSU struggle....just because of the sheer obnoxious attitudes of OSU fans.

When they lose its one less day that I have to hear from the OSU choo choo about how damn good they are....whether they warrant the accolades or not.

A).  There is a difference between the Bengals/Browns and the Buckeyes.  They aren't called the OHIO Browns nor OHIO Bengals.  They are regional cities teams, not a state institution.

B).  I acknowledged the fan base can be quite obnoxious (and I went to Ohio State so I should know) but even your cynical ass needs to acknowledge that Ohio State beating Texas was a good win for not just Ohio but everybody that's not Texas :).

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Well I know Randy is by no means alone in thinking that...I wear an Ohio State hoodie a lot and ppl in Cincinnati always have something smart to say about it.  I don't really get it because UC is known for basketball anyway, whereas Ohio State prides itself in football.

You've witnessed one in this thread already.  Unless, of course, the westside has slow news ;).

Look leave the westside out of this....we all know that the westside has some issues, and is often behind the times. :laugh:

A).  There is a difference between the Bengals/Browns and the Buckeyes.  They aren't called the OHIO Browns nor OHIO Bengals.  They are regional cities teams, not a state institution.

So does everyone in the New England area root for the New England Patriots....or how about another college comparison...does Miami Hurrican fans LOVE their Florida Gators?!?!

B).  I acknowledged the fan base can be quite obnoxious (and I went to Ohio State so I should know) but even your cynical ass needs to acknowledge that Ohio State beating Texas was a good win for not just Ohio but everybody that's not Texas :).

It was a big win and I'm glad they won, I hope they lose this weekend to UC (not a chance, but I can hope).  I also wouldn't mind seeing OSU win the National Championship.....but then again I wouldn't mind seeing them lose a crushing defeat at the hands of Michigan....no wait Michigan SUCKS!

Cry me a river.  Even your other Bearcat friend is rooting for OSU.  Support all your state schools!

That is, unless you are from Kentucky...

I was kidding more so than anything, but I am not going to stroke OSU's ego any more than what it already is.  I get tired of hearing how OSU thinks that they are sooooo great.  I just don't see why the whole state has to jump on board the OSU bandwagon.  Sorry I'm true to my colors!  I am a hometown boy I love ALL the Cincy teams (I even root on XU when they're not playing UC).  I am not a Cbus sports fan....thats all OSU is to me, Columbus University, and I WILL NOT cheer for them!

Let's see...what state is CINCINNATI in again?

It isn't about Columbus.  It isn't about Cincinnati.  It isn't about whatever city you want to say.  Ohio State is a STATE school and last I checked, Cincinnati was in Ohio.  There are many Bearcat fans at Ohio State and there are many Buckeye fans at UC.  It isn't about being an isolationist, as Ohio should support ANY state school we can (talking Wright State, OSU, UC, Bowling Green, Ohio, Kent, etc).

Granted, I'm not so blind to see OSU fanatics can be quite moronic and almighty.  But someone from the state of Ohio should atleast see that with a name like OHIO STATE (or Ohio University) is not about "cities" but simply about state unity.

Chris, I almost shed a tear ...

No disrespect to the Longhorns but Texas was waaaaaay overrated, alot more than I already thought. The teams in thier division had never really been competitive and on sept 9 that was made abundantly clear. Many are now drinking the ND kool aid but Penn State is a completely different team than last year because they lost about 12 starters. ND's decisive win over Penn State shouldnt have been a surprise, and they dont deserve the #2 spot. People will realize ND is also overrated when they play Michigan next week.

Anyway I had an unusually good time watching the Buckeyes.

Well I know Randy is by no means alone in thinking that...I wear an Ohio State hoodie a lot and ppl in Cincinnati always have something smart to say about it.  I don't really get it because UC is known for basketball anyway, whereas Ohio State prides itself in football.

I never got it either, but perhaps there is a justified bias against the largest institution in the state.  Much like the Los Angeles/San Francisco syndrome.

So does everyone in the New England area root for the New England Patriots....or how about another college comparison...does Miami Hurrican fans LOVE their Florida Gators?!?!

It was a big win and I'm glad they won, I hope they lose this weekend to UC (not a chance, but I can hope).  I also wouldn't mind seeing OSU win the National Championship.....but then again I wouldn't mind seeing them lose a crushing defeat at the hands of Michigan....no wait Michigan SUCKS!

The average New Englander actually DOES root for the New England Patriots, statistically.  Boston isn't call The Hub for just show.  Also, Florida is much like a Michigan where there are two or more prominant "flagship" schools instead of just one unipolar institution (like OSU, Illinois, Wisconsin, Penn State).  Thus, the Florida example doesn't cut it, sorry.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

No disrespect to the Longhorns but Texas was waaaaaay overrated, alot more than I already thought. The teams in thier division had never really been competitive and on sept 9 that was made abundantly clear. Many are now drinking the ND kool aid but Penn State is a completely different team than last year because they lost about 12 starters. ND's decisive win over Penn State shouldnt have been a surprise, and they dont deserve the #2 spot. People will realize ND is also overrated when they play Michigan next week.

I don't really think that TX was overrated. They stopped OSU's running attack.  This game just shows how good OSU really is.  The interesting thing will be to see how much the defense improves over the season. Last year, OSU's offense was much much better at the end of the season than they were at the beginning.

For many years Ohio State refused to play any other school in Ohio (Woody Hayes tradition?). It wasn't till some state rep got involved in the 1990s that OSU started scheduling MAC (and Cincy) teams to come to Columbus (going back to the state getting involved, someone thought it would be better for OSU to pay in-state schools to lose in C-bus than out-of-state schools).

And also don't forget the 40+ year feud between UC and OSU because UC defeated OSU's greatest basketball team (Lucas, Havalick, & Knight) in back-to-back years.  That's on Ohio State.

I don't really think that TX was overrated. They stopped OSU's running attack.  This game just shows how good OSU really is.  The interesting thing will be to see how much the defense improves over the season. Last year, OSU's offense was much much better at the end of the season than they were at the beginning.

no dis to your opinion was texas overrated just last year too? call it  revenge.

Also, Florida is much like a Michigan where there are two or more prominant "flagship" schools instead of just one unipolar institution (like  Penn State). 

Tell that to a Pitt Panther fan.  Pitt has more national championships than Penn State and until the last 20 years of mediocrity (the university decided to de-emphasize the football program)... was every bit the respected national powerhouse that Penn State and Ohio State are. 

The Pittsburgh Panthers football team has claimed 5 unanimous NCAA National Championships and parts of 10 others for a total of 15 National Titles:

1981 (Montgomery, NCF)

1980 (FNG, CFR, DeVold, Howell, Self, NYT, Sagarin, Eck, Fleming)

1976 (unanimous)

1937 (unanimous)

1936 (unanimouss shared with Minnesota)

1933 (Kirlin)

1931 (FNG, Kirlin, Davis)

1929 (Davis)

1927 (Esso)

1925 (Sorenson)

1918 (unanimous)

1917 (Weyand, Wilson, Jessen, Koger, Smith, NSF)

1916 (unanimous)

1915 (Libby, Koger, Smith, Davis)

1910 (Century, Morgan, Smith, Premo, NCF, FNG)

Penn State National Championships:

though they had several undefeated seasons when they were screwed over... 1994 being the most obvious

Also, Florida is much like a Michigan where there are two or more prominant "flagship" schools instead of just one unipolar institution (like  Penn State). 

Tell that to a Pitt Panther fan.  Pitt has more national championships than Penn State and until the last 20 years of mediocrity (the university decided to de-emphasize the football program)... was every bit the respected national powerhouse that Penn State and Ohio State are. 

The Pittsburgh Panthers football team has claimed 5 unanimous NCAA National Championships and parts of 10 others for a total of 15 National Titles:

1981 (Montgomery, NCF)

1980 (FNG, CFR, DeVold, Howell, Self, NYT, Sagarin, Eck, Fleming)

1976 (unanimous)

1937 (unanimous)

1936 (unanimouss shared with Minnesota)

1933 (Kirlin)

1931 (FNG, Kirlin, Davis)

1929 (Davis)

1927 (Esso)

1925 (Sorenson)

1918 (unanimous)

1917 (Weyand, Wilson, Jessen, Koger, Smith, NSF)

1916 (unanimous)

1915 (Libby, Koger, Smith, Davis)

1910 (Century, Morgan, Smith, Premo, NCF, FNG)

Penn State National Championships:

though they had several undefeated seasons when they were screwed over... 1994 being the most obvious

I was talking moreso about the idea of state institutions being a flagship (not about sports).  Clearly, Penn State is the "flagship" school of Pennsylvania, regardless of their mediocrity in sports.  U of Pittsburgh is more like a U of Cincinnati, where there is a prominant sports history along with having the second largest academic institution in the state.

Bearcats take an early lead.... OHHHHHHHH YEAH!  :clap:

*singing in the background....I think I love you, so what I am so afraid of....*

That is fabulous....too bad the Bearcats couldn't hold on, at all.  Hell they gave it a ride while they could, I heard that Ohio Stadium was quite quiet for awhile!!  Well done Cats, you did your best.

Good luck the rest of the season OSU.

1) Thank f**king god.  They found a way to win.

2) See below.  The Bucks landed a badass.

PHOTO: Eugene Clifford  The Enquirer / Michael E. Keating

Top recruit going to OSU

BY TOM GROESCHEN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Colerain senior safety Eugene Clifford has given an oral commitment to play football at Ohio State, Colerain coach Kerry Coombs said today.  Clifford is the state's No. 1-ranked senior prospect by some scouting services including Rivals.com, which rates Clifford the No. 31 player nationally.

More at http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060921/SPT030101/309210015/-1/rss

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, so does anyone know why Cincinnati TV isn't showing the Ohio State game?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061021/SPT/610210468/1062

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Noon Texas at Nebraska ABC

Noon Louisville at Syracuse FOX

Noon Michigan State at Northwestern 7

Noon Wisconsin at Purdue ESPN

Noon Illinois at Penn State ESPN2

12:30 p.m. Mississippi at Arkansas 64

2:30 p.m. UCLA at Notre Dame NBC

3 p.m. Toledo at Eastern Michigan FSN

3:30 p.m. Iowa at Michigan ABC

3:30 p.m. Alabama at Tennessee CBS

5:45 p.m. Rutgers at Pittsburgh ESPN2

7:45 p.m. Georgia Tech at Clemson ESPN

9 p.m. Fresno State at Clemson ESPN2

11 p.m. Indiana at Ohio State (same-day tape) ONN

My friends in Columbus said this was quite a story there - it was not shown in many places because ESPN wants more cable providers to pick up their experiment gone bad, ESPNU.  Apparently the station has very little market penetration.  In Cincinnati, we will hear even more about it later this year as the Crosstown Shootout will only be shown there.  They are refusing to let any local stations pick up the broadcast, and I suspect they are doing it in selected football and basketball matchups around the country.  This is probably a good strategic move, but I find it pretty underhanded and hope the move blows up in their face.  I went to the BW3's at Rookwood, and all the staff had ESPNU t-shirts only making the plan more obvious.

Hopefully people will just go to sports bars or pick up the station (since they will pro-rate it for a day or two on providers that have it as part of a premium or sports package) for only the game they want and drop it again.  Enough complaining - go Bucks!

• 3 weeks later...

It's going to be awfully tough for Michigan when Ohio State has a "superior" offense + playing in Ohio Stadium, so I'm going to say:

Ohio State - 27  Michigan - 10

Jim Tressel is probably the only person in Columbus who is rightfully concerned about this game.  Michigan IS that good this year.  Better defensive front 7, better running game, and Super Mario is looking to pull a Biakabutuka and make everyone forget about Ted Ginn.  The Bucks are going to have to play worlds better than they did against Illinois if they want to actually earn their #1 ranking.

;-)

per a UofM distributed email:

We know that it can be uncomfortable being in an opposing team's

environment, especially when the stakes are so high.  We would like to

offer a few suggestions in order to help you stay safe and have a

positive experience this weekend:

--Try carpooling to the game; if possible, drive a car with non-

Michigan license plates.

--Keep your Michigan gear to a minimum, or wait until you are

inside the stadium to display it.

--Stay with a group.

--Stay low-key; don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself.

--If verbally harrassed by opposing fans, don't take the bait.

--Avoid High Street in Columbus.

Jim Tressel is probably the only person in Columbus who is rightfully concerned about this game.  Michigan IS that good this year.  Better defensive front 7, better running game, and Super Mario is looking to pull a Biakabutuka and make everyone forget about Ted Ginn.  The Bucks are going to have to play worlds better than they did against Illinois if they want to actually earn their #1 ranking.

;-)

oh geez.  michigan certainly will have to play better than they did against BALL STATE too.  :-P