Guest The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Purple People Bridge: Devlopment and News

No real news... but a new article: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/01/11/purple-people-bridge-hotel-shops-limbo/21525401/

Building a hotel there seems kind of crazy to me... but I'd love to see a restaurant/cafe open up there. Architecturally, it presents some neat opportunities (challenges!) to make use of the existing iron (steel?) structure. Would have the best sunset views in town.

No real news... but a new article: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/01/11/purple-people-bridge-hotel-shops-limbo/21525401/

Building a hotel there seems kind of crazy to me... but I'd love to see a restaurant/cafe open up there. Architecturally, it presents some neat opportunities (challenges!) to make use of the existing iron (steel?) structure. Would have the best sunset views in town.

As I said a few years ago, 'the plans for this hotel actually call for a Wonka-vator'

I'm not sure if this has been distributed yet, but here is a better look at the concept renderings.  As I mentioned in my earlier posts, they are finalizing financing and have an agreement  for a Hard Rock Hotel and a Nike Training Camp facility.  I am not in love (at all) with the design and am somewhat curious if this will ever move forward, but according to everything I've seen and heard, they are much further along than they lead to believe in the article. 

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure in regards to what a Nike Training Camp is, other than what I was able to find on Google.  It looks like a facility or club that is located in LA, Santa Monica, etc where people can get together (with a fee) and train with professionals.  Maybe somewhat of a Crossfit type of program specifcally for athletes?  Regardless, I was told it'd be a regional facility - meaning you're not going to see one in Dayton, Louisville, etc.  That was just what I was told... 

Or any kind of parking.

That seems like the biggest issue with a Hard Rock Cafe. I imagine most people going to the Hard Rock would want to park right next to the establishment. Though maybe that isn't the case.

I'm all for this if it happens. It would be pretty unique and I wish them the best.

I've heard about this but never seen that rendering. That view is way cooler than I was anticipating, lets build that ASAP! In terms of access and parking there are huge lots or garages on either end of this bridge already, and the same way a suburbanite is willing to park at the entrance of a mall and walk for a "destination" like the Apple store, people would be willing to walk the unique and interesting few hundred yards to get to the tenants on this project.

Does anyone wonder if the reason the second phase of Newport on the Levee has such a MASSIVE garage is that it'll need to handle parking for this development?

That looks sweet!

What about flooding, though?  Has there ever been a flood that reached that high?  Also, what about debris from a flood, etc.  Would the Big Mac catch everything before it got there?

The flood insurance for that would be immense.

Also, any other thing similar to this in the US?  I wonder, would the walkway remain open below, as well?  Lastly, this would be a Kentucky development effort, correct?

I don't think parking is a huge constraint since the parking garage(s) will be right at the base of the bridge. It'll be as accessible as the other restaurants at Newport On The Levee. But I wonder how they will manage the fact that most businesses need a loading dock for receiving deliveries and waste disposal. It would take a lot of creativity to pull that off.

What about flooding, though?  Has there ever been a flood that reached that high?  Also, what about debris from a flood, etc.  Would the Big Mac catch everything before it got there?

Not on record.  The floodwall in Newport was built 1 foot higher than the 1937 water level.

Also, any other thing similar to this in the US? 

I think an old article said that there isn't.  The current article indicates some similar European projects.

I wonder, would the walkway remain open below, as well? 

The renderings make it look like it would remain open.

Lastly, this would be a Kentucky development effort, correct?

The bridge is privately owned/maintained by Southbank Partners.  Technically, that's KY, but it's not like the state is the driver in this.

Heating that in the winter will be a hefty bill. 

I was just thinking that.  Plus, water pipes would have to be engineered to have heating elements on the side to keep them from freezing.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

I wish some state/city entity (park board, for instance) would just purchase the bridge and keep it open to pedestrians and cyclists, and use it as a focal point for the park system. With improved connections, the Cincinnati side could see more use, and Newport is planning extensive improvements for their end (along with Covington). It can be a great asset, like the Big Four Bridge in Louisville's Waterfront Park, instead of a money drain to the current owners.

And if they are still puzzled why their attractions keep failing - well, no one wanted to pay a lot of cash to wear gaudy suits clipped in while walking atop a (not so high) bridge - and not even be able to take a photograph for keepsakes. I'm sure insurance regulations had everything to do with it, but still.

This could be like a navy pier for Cincinnati, except better because it would be modern and intersting and far more connected (and continue to act as a connection) to its surroundings. I don't see what's not to like, if you want a unique and potentially vibrant experience, cross the purple people bridge. If you want a clear easy shot with no people or obstructions, cross the Taylor Southgate.

I really like this, especially if the ped/bike right of way can be preserved. In a way it's like capping FWW, dispensing of blank space that divides the city. (Not to insult the river, but it is a major divider for those on foot or bike.) The design is reasonably attractive. It's unique to the area as far as I know.

I think it's a pretty dumb idea, and I don't think it will end up happening.  I'm all for better utilizing the bridge and the areas immediately adjacent to it on both sides, but I don't think a structure should actually be built on the bridge.  With all the development sites we have begging for something, why do we feel the need to cram something on to the one pedestrian bridge we have in the region? I think it could be cool to add some restaurants or food carts/trucks on or near the bridge, just to make it a bit more of an attraction beyond what it currently is, but anything more than that would be too over the top for my liking.  Let's get a hotel at the Banks before we continue this pipe dream of a proposal.

I really like this, especially if the ped/bike right of way can be preserved. In a way it's like capping FWW, dispensing of blank space that divides the city. (Not to insult the river, but it is a major divider for those on foot or bike.) The design is reasonably attractive. It's unique to the area as far as I know.

The river divides the region, yes, but it's not an unsightly, loud, polluting freeway.  The bridge isn't a space that needs to be dispensed of, imo. 

The bridge should be more High Line than this but it'd be nice for that sort of hotel at the end of the bridge.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I don't see what's not to like, if you want a unique and potentially vibrant experience, cross the purple people bridge. If you want a clear easy shot with no people or obstructions, cross the Taylor Southgate.

Except the PPB is currently pedestrian and bike friendly, where the Taylor-Southgate bridge is much less so.  If Red Bike is to expand across the river successfully, it will be because a bike right-of-way is preserved on the PPB.  People who are not comfortable cycling in traffic will not feel safe on the T-S.  I'm willing to wait and see if (and how) they preserve the right-of-way with this development, but I'm not optimistic.

Where are people getting the idea that the ROW won't be maintained? There are not only images of it being preserved but that was also mentioned in the earliest articles about the project. The ROW will be maintained. This building is built on the open portion and above the existing pathway according to their description and the renderings released.

I think it's a pretty dumb idea, and I don't think it will end up happening.  I'm all for better utilizing the bridge and the areas immediately adjacent to it on both sides, but I don't think a structure should actually be built on the bridge.  With all the development sites we have begging for something, why do we feel the need to cram something on to the one pedestrian bridge we have in the region? I think it could be cool to add some restaurants or food carts/trucks on or near the bridge, just to make it a bit more of an attraction beyond what it currently is, but anything more than that would be too over the top for my liking.  Let's get a hotel at the Banks before we continue this pipe dream of a proposal.

The river divides the region, yes, but it's not an unsightly, loud, polluting freeway.  The bridge isn't a space that needs to be dispensed of, imo. 

Fair enough. I am sympathetic to this view. I certainly don't think the river is "a space that needs to be dispensed of," and that's why I said "not to insult the river," but I also think it would help make Newport feel closer to Downtown if this were built. There are other ways that could be done. Adding some food carts would be great. Developments closer to both sides of the bridge would be fantastic. Still, this would be a unique attraction and it could really make walking/biking over one crossing seamless. Which might create synergistic development on both sides of the river.

I won't be crying if this doesn't happen, but I think it would be a new landmark that raises the image of the city. This thing absolutely would be photographed all the time, published in architectural magazines, people would know about it. It looks sleek and contemporary. Some people would, no doubt, hate it. And if in 20-30 years it's decided this was a huge error, the bones of the bridge will still be there when the building is torn down. If we didn't have the Roebling bridge, I'd be more worried about insulting the historic character of this bridge. But we do have the Roebling bridge, which puts the quaintness of PPB to shame.

If the plan were to get rid of the ped/bike ROW, I'd be more hesitant to support this.

The bridge should be more High Line than this but it'd be nice for that sort of hotel at the end of the bridge.

Making it like the High Line would feel derivative. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it wouldn't have the Wow factor. There's a lot of park space on the Cincy side and hopefully soon there will be on the KY side. Actually, High Line-ifying the Roebling would be pretty damn cool if Covington makes a Smale(lite) on their side. That would be epic, really. That wouldn't be derivative, because the Roebling will never be derivative no matter what it does. And it's dead center on the city and the flagship riverfront park. That would be another project to garner (inter)national attention and be endlessly photographed.

Having a High Line-like structure wouldn't make it a derivative.  By that logic, the High Line would be a derivative of the Promenade Plantée.  Neither the NYC or Paris elevated parks span a large river so it would be unique.  The Roebling wouldn't be practical as it's still a traveled roadway.  The PPB is, well, the PPB.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Having a High Line-like structure wouldn't make it a derivative.  By that logic, the High Line would be a derivative of the Promenade Plantée.  Neither the NYC or Paris elevated parks span a large river so it would be unique.  The Roebling wouldn't be practical as it's still a traveled roadway.  The PPB is, well, the PPB.

Roebling is a travelled roadway currently, but doesn't always have to be. It would be a fantastic place for a linear park.

That rendering is pretty awesome.  It would give Cincy a unique and interesting landmark that will really standout.  Please build this now!!

Newport should get behind this project.  It would compliment the increased density in the Levee. 

How would people access the hotel? Would there be a way for cars to drive up to the entrance, or would guests be expected to lug their bags from a garage on one of the riverbanks?  Also, there is basically nothing on the Ohio side of the bridge, other than the park.  The Montgomery Inn banquet center was demolished for that condo project that fell through, and it is still just sitting there vacant, adjacent to the bridge.  There is also another surface parking lot directly across from the entrance to the bridge.  Infill on these sites would do much, much more to connect downtown with Newport than this hotel would.  I'm also skeptical that there would be adequate room for pedestrian and bike paths if the hotel is built.  The current span is really not that wide, and it's not just just one wide expanse, but rather it's broken up into a couple of sections.  I just don't see how this project would be possible, or even that beneficial to the region.  Yeah, it might get some press at opening, but beyond that, I don't think Cincinnati gains much.  Really, Newport on the Levee is the only area that I think would see considerable improvement if this project goes through.

The shipping container look is cool.  It allows them to strategically bump some sections out beyond the bridge's profile and it is also a reference to its history as railroad bridge. 

Does anyone know what firm designed this? The rendering posted on this site looks professionally done, not like a developer just threw something together.

^That's part of what leads me to believe this is further along than maybe we realize. How long ago were the Hard Rock Hotel rumors posted? 6 months? Now renderings that were done by an architecture firm that shows just that. I'm still cautious about this project happening, but so far any information we have received as rumors has turned into something more months later.

I quite like the looks of this design. It doesn't try to blend with the bridge but rather offers a contrasting design which allows one to see the hotel and bridge independently even though they would become one. It allows for the bridge's purple essence to continue on, allows for the pedestrian nature of the bridge to continue on, and offers something extremely unique to this country (and really the world). I'd love if this happened.

Yeah I think this isn't a bad solution to give the area a bit more vibrancy and connect it a little stronger to Cincinati's riverfront - though part of the row should be preserved for Bicycles - its really the best bridge across the Ohio for bikes.

How would people access the hotel? Would there be a way for cars to drive up to the entrance, or would guests be expected to lug their bags from a garage on one of the riverbanks?  Also, there is basically nothing on the Ohio side of the bridge, other than the park.  The Montgomery Inn banquet center was demolished for that condo project that fell through, and it is still just sitting there vacant, adjacent to the bridge.  There is also another surface parking lot directly across from the entrance to the bridge.  Infill on these sites would do much, much more to connect downtown with Newport than this hotel would.  I'm also skeptical that there would be adequate room for pedestrian and bike paths if the hotel is built.  The current span is really not that wide, and it's not just just one wide expanse, but rather it's broken up into a couple of sections.  I just don't see how this project would be possible, or even that beneficial to the region.  Yeah, it might get some press at opening, but beyond that, I don't think Cincinnati gains much.  Really, Newport on the Levee is the only area that I think would see considerable improvement if this project goes through.

What makes you think this wouldn't spur development on the Ohio side?

It should remain a pedestrian bridge, and people should have revolted when the state wanted to get rid of it.  Since when does a Transportation department not maintain foot traffic?  Just because cars aren't on it doesn't mean it the state shouldn't maintain it for the taxpayers who use it.

Hotel project stalled on Purple People Bridge

There’s nowhere to park on a pedestrian bridge.

That detail will likely keep any hotel or shop from opening on the Purple People Bridge, the bridge’s owners told The Enquirer.

The development agreement to build a $100 million railroad-themed hotel and restaurant complex on the bridge – an agreement between the bridge’s owner, the Newport Southbank Bridge Co., and developer, DW Real Estate Holdings – lapsed in June, said Wally Pagan, president of the Newport Southbank Bridge Co.

Pagan wouldn’t declare the project dead, but said it’s not likely to be resurrected. Instead the bridge company is looking to other sources of income to keep the bridge in good shape.

url=http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/07/29/hotel-project-stalled-purple-people-bridge/30792841/]Cont[/url]

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton