Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jeffery

Kentucky Politics

As you all know I still follow KY politics a bit, mainly in Louisville.

The big news in KY is Rand Paul.  But, interestingly enough, he did not carry two of the larger metro counties in the state...Lexington and Louisville.  He did (of course) carry the Cincinnati counties of Kenton, Campbell, and Boone. 

Louisville bucked the GOP trend, once again proving itself as somewhat of an anomaly in the usually quite conservative Ohio Valley region of the US...

They had a big mayors race there, the first since the departure of "Mayor for Life" Jerry Abramson.  Turns out the Democrat, Greg Fischer, won in a narrow race:

Louisville’s history of electing Democratic mayors continued Tuesday when Greg Fischer — an entrepreneur and investor who promised to help create more jobs — was narrowly elected over Republican Metro Council member Hal Heiner.

Fischer won with 51 percent of the vote to Heiner’s 49 percent. About 6,100 votes separated the candidates, out of more than 257,000 cast.

The Democrats continued to control metro council, in fact a two-term social conservative Republican was actually(suprsingly) defeated, replaced by a Democrat (this was my old district), so the Dem margin increased a bit in local government. 

This didnt translate to state legistlature races, as the same part of the county voted in a Republican, who ran a populist campaign.  So, some ticket splitting. 

For Congress, the GOP trend was again bucked, as liberal John Yarmuth defeated a Tea-Party Republican challenger by a close (for him) margin.  Unlike a some Dems, Yarmuth did not try to distance himself from Obama

Defying a national Republican surge, Louisville’s Democratic Rep. John Yarmuth successfully fended off his tea party-backed challenger, Todd Lally, to capture a third term in the 3rd Congressional District.

Despite pre-election polls predicting heightened Republican turnout, Yarmuth, 62, the former publisher of LEO Weekly, won with 55 percent of the vote to Lally’s 44 percent with 99.8 percent of the ballots counted. The Democratic-leaning district covers most of Jefferson County.

Meanwhile in the Lexington area, it seems that the Democratic incumbent, Ben Chandler, may have won re-election.  Returns show him winning Lexington and Frankfort (Fayette and Franklin counties) and the horse country counties of Bourbon and Woodford.  But it's really too close to call and there might be a recount. 

Speaking of Bourbon...

*chugs*

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

For some reason, that does not surprise me.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

A Bevin-Beshear recount? Here's what could happen in the Kentucky governor's race

By Joe Sonka - Louisville Courier Journal

LOUISVILLE – To cap off one of the wildest finishes to a gubernatorial election in Kentucky history, Democratic candidate Andy Beshear declared victory to supporters Tuesday night, moments after Republican incumbent Matt Bevin told supporters that he will not concede the race.

Recounts in the past haven't proven very dramatic.

There's a blurb about the KY legislature overturning the results unilaterally. Bevin would have to request it by next Tuesday. I can't imagine any sane person doing this, but you never know. Basically they have to find significant issues with the election. I highly doubt they would attempt this.

If they had ranked voting, Bevin likely would have been reelected since the number of people who voted Libertarian was much higher than the difference, and Beshear didn't receive 50% of the vote.

I'm a huge proponent of ranked voting and think it would solve a lot of our two-party system problems. But I suppose that's a topic for another thread.