Sign in to follow this  
Guest Seth

Media discussion

This thread is for all the soulless people who fall victim to the world of cable "news". From cable to comedy central to the three major networks to stupid local stations, American "news" cranks out more pathetic crap than Lady Gaga.

To start the thread, let's take a look at the new ad campaign/tagline "Lean Forward"

Here's one of the ads starring Keith Olbermann. I pretty much like it:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/39606288%2339606288

And a parody:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

And Jon Stewart taking a swipe at it:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-october-11-2010/msnbc-left-behind

After having to listen to Action News and "Fair and Balanced" for the last decade I really don't know what I'm supposed to be disgusted about with that ad campaign/branding.  Other than Olbermann is a crazy windbag (which the ad didn't tell me it's just what I think whenever I see his face) what's the big deal?  They want you to watch and be engaged in what they're talking about.

Also just to clarify, we're supposed to use the Comedy Central shows as a source of "crap" and as a source for material mocking "crap?"  Equating them to cable news and the networks while linking to one of their shows to make fun of the ad is making me unsure.

Hmm, I think this thread may be better titled, national media news and discussion. Just a thought

Changed the title.

Also just to clarify, we're supposed to use the Comedy Central shows as a source of "crap" and as a source for material mocking "crap?" Equating them to cable news and the networks while linking to one of their shows to make fun of the ad is making me unsure.

Comedy Central is both a source of news and provides a critique of the news.  I think journalism matters.  This is a thread to highlight the asinine aspects of the current news media system.

Comedy Central is not a source of news.  It is a source of laughs.  Many, many laughs under the current political climate.  They don't report news that is not "laugh-worthy".... and there is plenty of that to go around, especially since "the American people" started blending political rallies and costume parties.

I love how on American news they always bring up the fact that other countries' news is "state-controlled" as if ours isn't because it is ran by private enterprise. The reason our news is so terrible is that it's state controlled AND for profit.

Comedy Central is both a source of news and provides a critique of the news.   I think journalism matters. This is a thread to highlight the asinine aspects of the current news media system.

Comedy Central is not a source of news. It is a source of laughs. Many, many laughs under the current political climate. They don't report news that is not "laugh-worthy".... and there is plenty of that to go around, especially since "the American people" started blending political rallies and costume parties.

Honestly, I have to repeat my comment in the "rally" thread. I don't get people that take up arms against something that is purely entertainment/ fictional. If you're holding "The Daily show" to the same standard as the evening news, then you have to hold "Weekend Update" and "The Onion" to the same standard.

If these are the windmills toward which someone wishes to tilt, I have to wonder about about their own underlying convictions.

This thread is about the media in all its forms.

If you're holding "The Daily show" to the same standard as the evening news, then you have to hold "Weekend Update" and "The Onion" to the same standard.

To what standard do you think people should hold propaganda? Honestly.

I agree Olbermann can be a little nutty for the left, but no more so than Hannity is for the right. IF I watch the news I've really grown to like the Rachael Madow show on MSNBC and the O'Reilly Factor on Fox. I also do watch the Daily Show quite often, not as a source of news, but as a parady to what I already know.

I think if people had held Propaganda to a high standard, then the missionary territories would have remained loyal to the Roman empire, and we wouldn't have had the fractured European Union you see today.

You tell me.  You're the one who spends all day copying and pasting it for our viewing pleasure.

Comedy Central is not "media" and does not try to pass itself off as media.  It's.... ummmm.... comedy.  Just because, more often than not, it is laughing at you, not with you, doesn't make it something other than comedy.

You tell me. You're the one who spends all day copying and pasting it for our viewing pleasure.

I'll stick with wikipedia: Propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position.

Comedy Central is not "media" and does not try to pass itself off as media. It's.... ummmm.... comedy. Just because, more often than not, it is laughing at you, not with you, doesn't make it something other than comedy.

It is part of the media, there's no question about that.

What you don't understand is this: I don't have a vested interest in the media. I care about news, real news. Like wire reports and breaking news and investigative journalism.  Not TV personalities that trick people like you into thinking they are making fun of the guys across the aisle. Wake up, there is no aisle! The joke's on you.

I don't have a horse in this race.

If you cared about "news" then you would not spend the better part of your day posting all the slanted, disingenuous, half-truth op-eds you can find on the worldwide web. 

And you do have a horse in this race - that being, whichever horse is running against the current administration.  Simple as that.

Which makes me wonder why you don't enjoy Stewart and Colbert for what they are - comedians, entertainers - especially given how much they make people laugh at the expense of the current administration.

The biggest target of the Daily Show is not the Republicans, though it skewers them. The biggest target is not the Democrats, though it skewers them. The biggest target of the Daily Show is TV news -- particularly cable news. Several times a week it shows a montage of morons on cable shows repeating the same catchphrase ad infinitum, each yahoo grinning proudly as if he or she had coined a witty new phrase. And half the time they're prattling about some insignificant, gossipy tidbit. Daily Show skewers Fox for being unfair and unbalanced. And it skewers CNN for beign irrelevent. And it skewers MSNBC for being clueless. The show uses irreverence to bring a bit of sanity and perspective.

^^^ There's no way Scrabbles watches the Daily Show because if he did he would realize how much they parody and satire the current administration.

I don't regularly watch any show but I do watch the Daily Show from time to time.  I think Stewart is a comedic genius. Did you assume I didn't like him or something?  I've shared a bunch of his clips that parody both sides.  I really don't have a horse in this race.

The biggest target of the Daily Show is not the Republicans, though it skewers them. The biggest target is not the Democrats, though it skewers them. The biggest target of the Daily Show is TV news -- particularly cable news. Several times a week it shows a montage of morons on cable shows repeating the same catchphrase ad infinitum, each yahoo grinning proudly as if he or she had coined a witty new phrase. And half the time they're prattling about some insignificant, gossipy tidbit. Daily Show skewers Fox for being unfair and unbalanced. And it skewers CNN for beign irrelevent. And it skewers MSNBC for being clueless. The show uses irreverence to bring a bit of sanity and perspective.

Right!!!

Juan Williams should not have been fired.  They viewed his statement in isolation.  If viewed in the context he was making the statement, it was distasteful at most.

^But even in Huckabee's request to cut funding, he admitted he has been treated fairly and objectively on NPR:

"While I have often enjoyed appearing on NPR programs and have been treated fairly and objectively, I will no longer accept interview requests from NPR as long as they are going to practice a form of censorship, and since NPR is funded with public funds, it IS a form of censorship."

My personal perspective on the Juan Williams firing is that it emboldens NPR's enemies. The media is tit for tat. It could be a major mistake for NPR management to fire someone for what was said in a Fox interview. In media, it's best to not lend credibility to your enemies. I have a feeling there was something personal going on behind the scenes. The comments on O'Reilly were probably just the tip of the iceberg.

This is an issue at almost every news outlet. Most media outlets are controlled with iron fists. It's not a liberal or conservative thing, it's a power thing. You say anything against management or do anything against your protocol (which is not always communicated), and you're gone.

Juan Williams wasn't fired for comments made on Fox news. He was fired for repeatedly ignoring private reminders from his bosses about stretching the limits of company policies when he went to work in his second job. He was basically fired for insubordination.

Juan Williams wasn't fired for comments made on Fox news. He was fired for repeatedly ignoring private reminders from his bosses about stretching the limits of company policies when he went to work in his second job. He was basically fired for insubordination.

I was going to say he probably violated some terms of his contract and his company's code of conduct/ethics clause.

^That's what they are saying..... but I must repeat that his comments were not viewed in the proper context.  In isolation, his comments that keep getting replayed were bigoted.  Taken in the proper context, they were not.  They weren't supposed to provide any objective, journalistic analysis.  That being the case, I think NPR misapplied its own rules.  JMO.

When you're looking to get rid of someone, you keep your eyes out for ways for the person to "fire themselves".

This is true.  I always give the kids enough rope to hang themselves and any conspirators.

She should have saved the flowers and sent them to the rape victims she wants to force through pregnancy.

She truly does hold some fabulous positions:

- No abortion, even in cases of rape and incest

- Believes that the constitution should be used to deny individual rights

- Does not believe in the separation of church and state

- She believes, and has stated publicly, that "sharia law" has taken over certain parts of the U.S.

- She wants to allow insurance companies to deny coverage for mammograms and colonoscopies

She should have saved the flowers and sent them to the rape victims she wants to force through pregnancy.

She truly does hold some fabulous positions:

- No abortion, even in cases of rape and incest

- Believes that the constitution should be used to deny individual rights

- Does not believe in the separation of church and state

- She believes, and has stated publicly, that "sharia law" has taken over certain parts of the U.S.

- She wants to allow insurance companies to deny coverage for mammograms and colonoscopies

And to think she might take down the Senate Majority leader!

I just didnt see where her illegal alien commercial was offensive though. 

It was a political commercial and used the same tactics, but I didnt find it any more offensive than any other.   

A good read from a conservative fan of NPR:

Rural Radio and the Juan Williams Controversy

[...]

I knew other NPR listeners in rural Nebraska: electrical journeymen, shop keepers, school teachers. They noticed NPR’s political and religious blind spots. But they appreciated its consistent effort to put policy before personality and substance before scandal. I am not sure if these virtues are conservative, but the people who valued them were.

Attempts to spot and highlight media bias have, I think, caused us to overestimate its importance in media coverage. Say one station is biased but offers otherwise excellent content while another is unbiased but does spotty and shoddy reporting. Any person willing to expend a little effort in listening can simply ignore the bias and take in the good content, though he may find it necessary to occasionally shake his fist at the radio. Rural Americans are no more susceptible to being buffaloed by liberal bias than their suburban or urban counterparts.

[...]

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2010/10/29/rural-radio-and-the-juan-williams-controversy/

t1larg-olbermann.jpg?w=640

UPDATE: Olbermann suspended for Dem contributions

By: CNN Political Unit

(CNN) - Keith Olbermann, MSNBC's primetime firebrand host, has been suspended indefinitely for violating the ethics policies of his employer earlier this year when he donated to three Democrats seeking federal office, MSNBC announced Friday.

"I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay," MSNBC President Phil Griffin said in a statement.

more: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/05/olbermann-donated-to-three-dems-in-apparent-violation-of-nbc-policy/

I have a new respect for MSNBC.  Fox News would've never done that.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers