Cleveland: Flats Developments (Non-Stonebridge or FEB)

1 hour ago, viscomi said:

^Thanks. I was just going to ask for a refresher on those past discussions.

I think that it really should happen. It would be a huge benefit to have one long boardwalk that connects to the park. With the next phase of development, one long connected boardwalk would be truly incredible for the city. Having a board walk with shops, dining, and bars with seating and stuff along the entire stretch would give us a really great water front experience. This parking lot that recently sold would really make for some great condos. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, imjustinjk said:

I think that it really should happen. It would be a huge benefit to have one long boardwalk that connects to the park. With the next phase of development, one long connected boardwalk would be truly incredible for the city. Having a board walk with shops, dining, and bars with seating and stuff along the entire stretch would give us a really great water front experience. This parking lot that recently sold would really make for some great condos. 

So I'm always on board with expansion and think this is a wonderful idea.

Nonetheless - the clientele at East End is an issue. It just is. That place will be the bane of an otherwise beautiful boardwark that would connect a thriving entertainment district to a public space. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

So I'm always on board with expansion and think this is a wonderful idea.

Nonetheless - the clientele at East End is an issue. It just is. That place will be the bane of an otherwise beautiful boardwark that would connect a thriving entertainment district to a public space. 

I personally enjoy going to East End, and I feel like this comment has racist, classist, whatever undertones. It's a thriving bar with a great outdoor space to hang out when the weather is good. *shrug* 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, imjustinjk said:

I personally enjoy going to East End, and I feel like this comment has racist, classist, whatever undertones. It's a thriving bar with a great outdoor space to hang out when the weather is good. *shrug* 

I used to go to East End all the time... including times when I was one of only a handful of white people in the bar... so no...

What I take issue with is the fact myself - and people I know - have three times been harassed outside that bar on three separate occasions. I actually posted about one instance on here shortly after it happened. 

Moreover, last time I was in there, a fight broke out when a man began peeing on the bar... if that makes me classist than so be it. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

I used to go to East End all the time... including times when I was one of only a handful of white people in the bar... so no...

What I take issue with is the fact myself - and people I know - have three times been harassed outside that bar on three separate occasions. I actually posted about one instance on here shortly after it happened. 

Moreover, last time I was in there, a fight broke out when a man began peeing on the bar... if that makes me classist than so be it. 

It just sounded like the typical anti-black establishment rhetoric that I hear about Rumor and Union. I've never personally had issues there, and enjoy going there. Anyway, way off-topic, and I stan a unified boardwalk for the FEB ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, cle25 said:

A waterfront parking lot...only in Cleveland ?

Parked in that lot many many times (even back to the original Flats days!!).  Will be nice to see some new construction along the river!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TPH2 said:

Only in Cleveland? 

Haha okay, fair enough. But you get my point. Cleveland is replete with examples of getting the least utility (i.e. parking) out of areas with the highest visibility and value.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TPH2 said:

Only in Cleveland? 

Untitled.png

FWIW, we're falling out of pace with Pittsburgh when it comes to comparisons- that lot (and most of their riverfront parking) is being developed into something [at least my old engineering firm was surveying/doing a TON of environmental on that lot for development]. Additionally, there's a bike path that goes along that part (and this goes for most of the land bordering their rivers). A bit off topic from the FEB, but at the same time, I wish the city would put more value into our river/recreation outside of the towpath, and that includes requiring a walkable boardwalk between establishments...

• Like 9

Incorporating a public boardwalk into these properties would add a boost in foot traffic for the businesses there. I'm surprised none of these places (to my knowledge) are pushing for it.

My dream project would be to have the boardwalk go further up the river past Merwin's Wharf and linking up with the towpath trail via the Columbus Road bridge. Of course that would require a LOT of property easements.

Edited by RoabeArt
  • Like 5

New study says Metroparks Lake Link Trail in Flats sits on unstable ground: Mark Naymik

http://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/04/new-study-says-metroparks-lake-link-trail-in-flats-sits-on-unstable-ground-mark-naymik.html

• Sad 2

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

The slope issue is not great, but this is a pretty silly crusade by Naymik.  We're not talking about an especially large capital investment put at risk here. The Red Line Greenway would still be great even without that one segment of Lake Link Trail.  Yeesh. 

Edited by StapHanger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StapHanger said:

The slope issue is not great, but this is a pretty silly crusade by Naymik.  We're not talking about an especially large capital investment put at risk here. The Red Line Greenway would still be great even without that one segment of Lake Link Trail.  Yeesh. 

Exactly!  we're talking 500 feet of asphalt....I don't get Naymiks tone.  

• 2 months later...

"Heritage Park on the West Bank of the Flats, adjacent to Canal Basin Park" 

Isn't Canal Basin Park on the East Bank? 

Edit: Heritage Park is definitely on the West Bank. But Canal Basin Park is (or will be) in the upper-right corner of this map. It, along with Merwin Avenue, are on the East Bank....

Boat slip on river.JPG

Heritage Park-Canal Basin Park.JPG

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

39 minutes ago, KJP said:

"Heritage Park on the West Bank of the Flats, adjacent to Canal Basin Park" 

Isn't Canal Basin Park on the East Bank?

I believe Heritage Park is the little park on the west bank along Detroit Ave (the lower Detroit) by the Center Street Swing Bridge.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ydard said:

I don't know the business that well, but I am kind of surprised an architecture firm would move into such a sloppily constructed building.

Agreed! I worked in this building for about 4 years (2010-2014 or so), and while I loved working in that location, the building was terrible in a lot of ways. Drafty, cold, hot, horrible soundproofing between floors. One day, there was like a mini waterfall that appeared on one interior brick wall, apparently water leaking from the 4th floor above us.

And as a weird side note, we moved into our space when an architectural firm moved out. Lol.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know of plans for a hotel on this Flats West Bank site?  I've heard Osborn Engineering is involved and beyond that all that has been said is "Future redevelopment for hotel".  They appear to be doing their due diligence on the site.

FWB.JPG

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, scb0525 said:

Anyone know of plans for a hotel on this Flats West Bank site?  I've heard Osborn Engineering is involved and beyond that all that has been said is "Future redevelopment for hotel".  They appear to be doing their due diligence on the site.

FWB.JPG

Maybe for that building at the end of the bridge? Pretty sure it’s been vacant for awhile. 

15 minutes ago, scb0525 said:

FWB.JPG

Perhaps that's the 21c Museum Hotel development referenced here?

This is Jacobs' masterplan/vision for the Flats West Bank/Nautica, for which he's been pursuing a joint venture(s) with other developers......

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, simplythis said:

There was a hotel proposed as part of Jeff Jacob's Nautica Project years back.

No one seems to know anything about this project because it was proposed years back

and nothing has been done.

Not physically, but developers are talking to Jacobs and his staff. There is stuff happening.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, KJP said:

Perhaps that's the 21c Museum Hotel development referenced here?

This is Jacobs' masterplan/vision for the Flats West Bank/Nautica, for which he's been pursuing a joint venture(s) with other developers......

This vision is great above second level. Some very cool elements. But way too much blank wallspace below that. It's as if these developers have never seen a street corner in a city before. 

Once Firebird on Scranton is fully built, along with filling in the West Bank with the likes of these developments, we may have a nautical tourist attraction the likes of Venice. Restaurants and residence accessible by boat. The corridor of the river would just be amazing to boat through at night, with the new and improved pedestrian parkway along Huron and Ontario. Something I could only dream about. A livelier Cuyahoga.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, tastybunns said:

Once Firebird on Scranton is fully built, along with filling in the West Bank with the likes of these developments, we may have a nautical tourist attraction the likes of Venice. Restaurants and residence accessible by boat. The corridor of the river would just be amazing to boat through at night, with the new and improved pedestrian parkway along Huron and Ontario. Something I could only dream about. A livelier Cuyahoga.

Thunderbird

And like Thunderbird, I'd be very surprised if this Jacobs "master plan" is anything except marketing fluff meant to communicate an openness to having some of the land developed.  I wouldn't spend much time dissecting the actual design.  Unfortunately, also like Thunderbird, I worry that any development that does occur with the current ownership involved will be bad, and will wipe out some good existing stuff there now, so I'm hoping this ends up going nowhere at all. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, StapHanger said:

I worry that any development that does occur with the current ownership involved will be bad, and will wipe out some good existing stuff there now, so I'm hoping this ends up going nowhere at all. 

Harbor Inn and those cool warehouses need to be saved.

Lol @ Firebird. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, StapHanger said:

And like Thunderbird, I'd be very surprised if this Jacobs "master plan" is anything except marketing fluff meant to communicate an openness to having some of the land developed.  I wouldn't spend much time dissecting the actual design.  Unfortunately, also like Thunderbird, I worry that any development that does occur with the current ownership involved will be bad, and will wipe out some good existing stuff there now, so I'm hoping this ends up going nowhere at all. 

Thankfully, Planning Commission sent NRP Group back to the drawing board after what they proposed for Scranton Peninsula. I hope that NRP finds that to be instructive rather than destructive, killing their desire for anything resembling urban design.

And yes, the Jacobs master plan is nothing more than a marketing fishhook. In fact, when I wrote that short piece about Nautica a couple of months ago, a friend reached out to Jacobs to inquire about anything going on there. He basically told my friend that he wasn't going to build anything here, but he would love to make his properties available for someone who would. When asked if he had any joint-venture opportunities pending, he said his VP of development David Grunenwald was talking to some developers but didn't have any agreements signed.

• Like 3

Jeff Jacobs said this about a proposed hotel at Nautica back in '16...

"Jacobs acknowledged the risk of proposing a hotel at a time when the downtown hotel market is almost doubling in size, with additions of the 600-room Hilton Cleveland Downtown Convention Center Hotel and the new Kimpton and Drury hotels. However, the Windows on the River at the Powerhouse complex hosts several weddings a week, and Nautica constantly fields requests about where bridal parties and guests may stay nearby. “It’s risky, but it’s an important component to complete the mosaic of a waterfront district,” Jacobs said of the hotel. “The benefit of the hotel might not show in its books but would show up in other results in the development.”

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:12 PM, Mov2Ohio said:

20190830_113214.jpg

Borrowed this photo from the Rocket Fieldhouse thread

It looks like demolition has been completed along W. 3rd and Stones Levee in the background.

Is there any development news for this project?

• Like 1