Guest montecarloss

Kings Island

Kings Island's Vortex roller coaster is closing after 33 seasons

Jennifer Edwards Baker, Fox 19 Published 5:56 a.m. ET Sept. 27, 2019 | Updated 8:02 a.m. ET Sept. 27, 2019

DEERFIELD TWP. - It opened in 1987 as the tallest, full-circuit roller coaster with the highest drop in the world and the first roller coaster in the world with six inversions, but in the coming weeks Kings Island’s Vortex steel roller coaster will be closing for good.

While most coasters of this type typically last 25 to 30 years, Vortex is currently in its 33rd season and the amusement park said it "simply reached the end of its service life."

MORE

• Dislike 1

This makes me very sad, and in general I feel like our society is too quick to demolish structures (whether buildings or roller coasters) instead of trying to upkeep them. It's a large scale symptom of a throw-away society. Soon there will be almost no large Arrow loopers left because no one is willing to spend the money to rehab and replace the trains. I understand that spending a few million on Vortex wouldn't generate a big push for ticketholders, but destroying the past and reducing the nostalgia has a negative impact on the core season ticket buyers as well, especially those that remember this ride fondly because they were kids when it was built. That same age range is the one that has young kids now and would be buying season tickets, season long food plans, drink refill program and buying merchandise. Kings Island can spend their money to chase the next big thing (like the new world's shortest giga coaster) and try to attract new people, but they need to keep the locals happy too. Especially since Kings Island is much more reliant on season pass holders than destination type parks like Cedar Point.

Sorry to rant, but this one hurts a lot more than Firehawk did...

1 hour ago, ucgrady said:

This makes me very sad, and in general I feel like our society is too quick to demolish structures (whether buildings or roller coasters) instead of trying to upkeep them. It's a large scale symptom of a throw-away society. Soon there will be almost no large Arrow loopers left because no one is willing to spend the money to rehab and replace the trains. I understand that spending a few million on Vortex wouldn't generate a big push for ticketholders, but destroying the past and reducing the nostalgia has a negative impact on the core season ticket buyers as well, especially those that remember this ride fondly because they were kids when it was built. That same age range is the one that has young kids now and would be buying season tickets, season long food plans, drink refill program and buying merchandise. Kings Island can spend their money to chase the next big thing (like the new world's shortest giga coaster) and try to attract new people, but they need to keep the locals happy too. Especially since Kings Island is much more reliant on season pass holders than destination type parks like Cedar Point.

I agree.  So much of a theme park is about the nostalgia people had for the place when they were young.  People want to go back and they want it to be the same.  They want their own kids to have the same experience they did.  

Few rides remain at King's Island that were there when I wad a kid:

-The Smurf Ride

-Flying Eagles

-Zodiac

-Antique Cars

-Log Flume

-Screamin' Demon

-King Cobra

-whatever the cable cars were over Coney Mall

-Monorail through the zoo 

They put up a lot of stupid rides over the years like Flight Commander that nobody misses.  But the simpler stuff like The Viking Ship needs to stay.  The stuff from the 70s and 80s that they got rid of like The Monorail would be retro-cool now in the way that they don't take out the original rides from Disneyland.  

29 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

-The Smurf Ride

-Flying Eagles

-Zodiac

-Antique Cars

-Log Flume

-Screamin' Demon

-King Cobra

Antique cars are back and the log flume is still there. 

1 hour ago, ucgrady said:

I would feel this way if they tore down the Beast obviously or the Racers. But I'm not really that sad about this. Vortex beat you up pretty good even back in the 90s. And being pretty tall, I don't really fit in the seats at all. My knees are pinned against the seat in front of me (unless I sit in the front). It's prime real estate within the park and I'm actually pretty excited to see what they end up doing with it. 

• Like 1

The company that made Vortex, Arrow Dynamics, went out of business quite a while ago and more parks are tearing down their old Arrow loopers with only a few being refurbished. KI had a tendency to run Vortex at max capacity with three trains instead of two. This meant that if trains got stacked at the station, they'd have to really slam the breaks in order to stop trains. 

As sad as I am to see Vortex go (it was my favorite Arrow looper) its time was coming. Now they can put another coaster in that spot in a few years. Maybe a T-Rex or an infinity coaster.

I definitely am in the "We need our own version of The Smiler" camp. I have not been to KI since Halloween 2004 (my last day employed by PKI), an Infinity Coaster would definitely be the carrot to get me back for sure.

Also, bring back KCKC.

Lastly, I question the part line about service life. If this were truly the case, we would be saying good bye to Dragon Fire (1981), Carolina Cyclone (1980), and Demon (1976). Did I intentionally list older Kings Entertainment Arrows? Sure did. I feel there are plans afoot for the future.

The Vortex was the park's premier attraction from the time it was built until Son of Beast, a span of about 15 years.  It usurped the King Cobra, which was a really big deal when it in, and the 1-2 combo of new metal coasters was pretty...metal.  Of the two I recall The King cobra being the better pound-for-pound ride.  Its helix was much more dramatic than the Vortex's.  It made way more noise, in addition to being faster.  It also had those bunny hills and the weird sideways tilt thing along the back side, which were the sort of small-ball stuff missing from The Vortex.  

I can't exaggerate what is was like when these rides went in.  People watched them over and over again, entranced, but never riding.  We had never seen anything like them.  

The only non-roller coaster ride that I recall generating big-time excitement was Whitewater Canyon.  I remember not being able to ride the thing for years because the lines were so long.  I didn't get to ride it until year 3 or 4, by which ever single pole in the cue was covered in chewing gum.  

-The Smurf Ride

-Flying Eagles

-Zodiac

-Antique Cars

-Log Flume

-Screamin' Demon

-King Cobra

Before it was "The Smurf Ride", it was Enchanted Voyage, and way better than the Smurfs!

I miss the Flying Eagles the most.

As the Log Flume is still there, I think you are remembering Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal

3 hours ago, JaceTheAce41 said:

As sad as I am to see Vortex go (it was my favorite Arrow looper) its time was coming. Now they can put another coaster in that spot in a few years. Maybe a T-Rex or an infinity coaster.

You know it's going to be a Walmart version of Yukon Striker.  Alberta Clipper or something.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

2 hours ago, The_Cincinnati_Kid said:

Before it was "The Smurf Ride", it was Enchanted Voyage, and way better than the Smurfs!

I miss the Flying Eagles the most.

As the Log Flume is still there, I think you are remembering Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal

I remember almost getting kicked out of the park when I was 12 or 13 when my friend and I tried to spit on every smurf we floated past.  They took us aside when we got off the ride and insisted that we have you on video.  I was so wound up by the dramatic(?) tongue splashdown that I had already forgotten the spitting and made a convincing case that it must have been those other guys in the next boat.  

15 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

You know it's going to be a Walmart version of Yukon Striker.  Alberta Clipper or something.

Banshee and Mystic Timbers have been pretty highly regarded and Banshee was a record-breaker. They might go with something big. My money is on the first real T-Rex coaster in 2022

Honestly surprised that KI got their long rumored giga this year .... supposedly both Mystic Timbers and Banshee did not do much to increase attendance or more importantly for KI season pass sales.  If Orion doesn't move people through the gates then I think it could be a good while before another major roller coaster is installed.

Among the other Cedar Fair parks Worlds of Fun, Dorney, and Valleyfair are all due to get something of a significant upgrade soon.  And I would not be surprised if Cedar Point gets something significant for 2021, the year after they celebrate their historical 150th season.

23 minutes ago, tedders55 said:

If Orion doesn't move people through the gates then I think it could be a good while before another major roller coaster is installed.

Which is fine now that they are getting a Giga.  I see KI as a pretty complete park coaster-wise, nothing wows you, but it has something for everybody.  It could use some theme/scenery upgrades more than coaster upgrades at this point.

1 hour ago, tedders55 said:

Honestly surprised that KI got their long rumored giga this year .... supposedly both Mystic Timbers and Banshee did not do much to increase attendance or more importantly for KI season pass sales.  If Orion doesn't move people through the gates then I think it could be a good while before another major roller coaster is installed.

Among the other Cedar Fair parks Worlds of Fun, Dorney, and Valleyfair are all due to get something of a significant upgrade soon.  And I would not be surprised if Cedar Point gets something significant for 2021, the year after they celebrate their historical 150th season.

ValleyFair is a small park. I don't think it gets the same level of investment of a park like Cedar Point, KI, Carrowinds, and Canada Wonderland.

^ No I agree that none of their "other" parks outside of those you mentioned and Knotts get much.  But every once in a while they do need some kind of investment, and Worlds of Fun and Dorney have not had anything go into their parks in quite a while.

Screw those parks, how about Michigan's Adventure?  They got goats one year.  Goats.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers