ClevelandOhio

Cleveland: Random Quick Questions

9 hours ago, MuRrAy HiLL said:

Anyone been to or know anything about the Buckland Museum in Old Brooklyn?

https://bucklandmuseum.org/buckland-gallery/

Seems like an interesting / quirky addition to the neighborhood. 

EDIT: I see the last few questions have gone unanswered. Perhaps this isn’t the best place to post this...

Since we're on the next page, here is my question again.

37 minutes ago, Cavalier Attitude said:

Where are some free/cheap places to do remote coding work on the near west side? Coffee shops/co-working spaces etc? Wifi required obv.

I really liked Phoenix Coffee in Ohio City and Loop Records in Tremont too. Hon. mention for the Rising Star in Hingetown, but outlets were scarce. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 10:37 AM, originaljbw said:

It used to be the wiccan store/museum that was in Tremont on w14th roughly across from Bac, (nevermind, now trio), I mean the empty resraurant.

I think that's where the fire was at this morning.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/oh-cuyahoga/firefighter-injured-while-battling-building-fire-in-clevelands-tremont-neighborhood

On 12/10/2019 at 3:44 PM, Cavalier Attitude said:

Where are some free/cheap places to do remote coding work on the near west side? Coffee shops/co-working spaces etc? Wifi required obv.

Terrapin Coffee - it’s small but good coffee and next to Tremont Animal Clinic so you’ll have great pet watching as well. Added bonus is Bon Cleveland bakery uses part of the space as a prep kitchen. 

https://m.facebook.com/terrapincoffeeco/

• Like 1

All - 

My wife and I just ditched cable (as Spectrum was costing us $173 a month) - we kept the internet, but want some advice on what alternatives are out there and if anyone has recommendations. 

The only times I watch TV, really, is sporting events, i.e. Browns games, bowl games, March Madness, Tribe games. 

I already have HBOGO and Netflix, and want a provider that can give me at least a limited sports package. Thanks! 

Obviously an good outdoor antenna for network TV will be necessary.  Some people like SlingTV because you can get ESPN. I am not sure about Tribe games, I mooch off of a friend's cable account for FoxSports GO.  I'm not sure if it is available as a stand alone app. 

Edited by freefourur
  • Thanks 1

We have been doing a similar experiment and YouTubeTV has been pretty good on sports coverage.  The coverage is tied to the local market, so if a game is on local TV, it will be on there.  I was worried about buffering speed and lagging, but so far it has been fine.  It is $49 a month, so cheaper than cable.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, YABO713 said:

All - 

My wife and I just ditched cable (as Spectrum was costing us $173 a month) - we kept the internet, but want some advice on what alternatives are out there and if anyone has recommendations. 

The only times I watch TV, really, is sporting events, i.e. Browns games, bowl games, March Madness, Tribe games. 

I already have HBOGO and Netflix, and want a provider that can give me at least a limited sports package. Thanks! 

Hulu live has been fantastic. Unfortunately it is now going up to 54.99 a month (58 with taxes).  But you get all the espns, big ten network, fox sports (including Ohio), and so forth. It’s like 75 channels total. You also get access to Hulu w/commercials which is great for certain tv shows. 

Edited by cle_guy90

It seems to me that the cable cutting was initially a great cost savings, but now all the streaming services provide the same content...so cost as much as cable!  

• Love 1

Has anyone noticed that in the last six months, many Uber and Lyft drivers are now from out of state? I've been keeping track and I would estimate 75% of cars with Georgia and Florida plates also have glowing rideshare signs in their windows.

That's weird. I see them a lot in Chicago with IN and WI plates. And rode in them. Their excuse is that it is the only way for them to make a lot of money in a short period of time and that they can't do it where they live. A lot from the far burbs like Naperville too. They have zero idea where they are going in the city, and I have to tell them where to go and not use the GPS...their GPS does not work well with places like lower Wacker Dr, and not taking a freeway.

I also have had a college students that rented a car on the weekend to do it. Maybe that explains out of state plates too.

I have gone back to taking cabs more. Usually same price or cheaper.

Edited by metrocity
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 4:44 PM, originaljbw said:

Has anyone noticed that in the last six months, many Uber and Lyft drivers are now from out of state? I've been keeping track and I would estimate 75% of cars with Georgia and Florida plates also have glowing rideshare signs in their windows.

Obviously not quite the same, but I used to do airbnb at my place and had a guy that would come up from Columbus to Cleve just to drive because (in his mind) the increased fees were worth the hassle. Echoing @metrocity I hate ridesharing when folks aren't from the area and can barely follow a GPS on their phone (when it works). There's one thing to be said about taxi drivers they generally know where they're going and are familiar with peculiarities- if only they got with the 21st Century and all accepted cards/paypal and were more transparent with their fares... 

Edited by GISguy