Jump to content
Guest seicer

Cincinnati: Mt. Adams: Development and News

Recommended Posts

Exactly. When I moved to Mt. Adams, everyone I dealt with at both rental companies insisted on referring to Mt. Adams as "the hill". 

 

It's kind of strange to see everyone saying that the retail scene will sort itself out, especially since that has been the standard response for years, as the business district has gradually died. Imagine if 3CDC took that kind of stance with OTR back in 2006 or whenever they started. "Oh these boarded up buildings will just sort themselves out because they're right next to the CBD and the architecture is solid." Maybe the key to Mt. Adams business district's woes is converting St. Gregory to a primarily residential street, and just removing a lot of the commercial space that's up there. Vacant storefronts certainly don't help anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A dying retail scene is a reoccurring theme in a lot of small, historic, highly desirable neighborhoods. I know that German Village up in Columbus is facing the same struggle and the commission often cites Mt. Adams as what they're trying to avoid. I think the days of Mt. Adams being the go-to destination are long gone, but I think Mt. Adams could fill a new niche of more high end destinations that local residents could afford to frequent regularly . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mt. Adams needs more places like Longfellow, Lackman, Blind Lemon, etc. Smaller places that are good for date nights. Not large clubs with huge patios. What does that mean for the existing large spaces? I don't know.

 

Mt. Adams could be the premiere date night location while OTR becomes the nightlife destination in conjunction with downtown.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Agreed. I also think someone mentioned a gondola? Usually they have a reputation for being cheesy transit, but in a city like Cincinnati and a hard to access neighborhood like Mt. Adams, a gondola system would do wonders.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is that a lot of the retail and restaurant establishments don't cater to the demographic that lives in the neighborhood. The clubs rely on people from elsewhere to patronize them. Places like Mt. Adams Tavern and Blind Lemon do just fine. More places should cater to people living there and people going to the museum/shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or Santa Clara in Dayton, which boomed for about three weeks in the 90s and is now in worse shape than most of OTR. 


“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ryanlammi said:

Mt. Adams needs more places like Longfellow, Lackman, Blind Lemon, etc. Smaller places that are good for date nights. Not large clubs with huge patios. What does that mean for the existing large spaces? I don't know.

 

Mt. Adams could be the premiere date night location while OTR becomes the nightlife destination in conjunction with downtown.

 Mt. Adams became too bar centric/club centric in the mid 2000s. There was always Longworth's and Pavilion, but they were more geared toward the band scene or the outdoor patio instead of the whole club feel that they became too clubby.

 

There used to be a mix of small restaurants for date nights, wine bars, more small bars and other establishments. Places like A Live One offered a place to get a drink after a dinner or a show.

 

What is missed is places like the Fish Market. Mt. Adams is best centered around the Playhouse and establishments to support that as the anchor.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lucas_uLsac said:

A dying retail scene is a reoccurring theme in a lot of small, historic, highly desirable neighborhoods. I know that German Village up in Columbus is facing the same struggle and the commission often cites Mt. Adams as what they're trying to avoid. I think the days of Mt. Adams being the go-to destination are long gone, but I think Mt. Adams could fill a new niche of more high end destinations that local residents could afford to frequent regularly . 

 

What?? German Village in Columbus is not facing any kinds of struggles.  I was there last week and that neighborhood is hopping.  Always has been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I think he meant is that German Village has been trying to nip any kind of losses like that in the bud for a long time as a neighborhood that had been gentrifying since all the way back in the 1950s. There's not much left to fix up in GV, but it also doesn't want to become stale. GV hasn't been considered a big place to party in the past unlike Mt. Adams so in that respect it hasn't been subject to "trendyness".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jeremyck01 said:

 

What?? German Village in Columbus is not facing any kinds of struggles.  I was there last week and that neighborhood is hopping.  Always has been.

 

I was working on a project with the GV Commission last year and one of the big concerns they had was the continuing decrease in retail over the years. They often cited Mt. Adams and how they didn't want to continue to lose retail. German Village competes with the Short North the same way Mt. Adams competes with OTR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

      As a younger resident of Mount Adams, and one that participates and attends the Community Council meetings monthly, there is a major problem among the majority of my neighbors. They are 55 and older, majority of them are self made and have considerable net worth. However they continuously think that they should open like six different white table cloth restaurants along St. Gregory. I have heard them time and time again shouting how about... fine dining, restaurants with live music, restaurants with raw bar. It just wont happen, because the residents don't frequent the existing establishments enough now for them to be successful. Plus parking will always be a sore spot in the neighborhood bringing non-residents up to the area.

      Brief food history, The Celestial was a dump, in the end that killed itself, Rookwood, closed because the rent was way out of control, and maintenance was poorly attended too. Teak closed because of poor ownership. Daveed's, made a second go of it and couldn't get the business to keep them profitable. Tavern on the Hill, had excellent bar food but couldn't capture the business of the neighbor on non weekend hours. The Wine Bar, with food closed never could get the business in the door,  Quincy's is now located there. Longworth's, use to have a decent food menu. Chapter, has really scaled back food menu as well. Pavilion, has bar food, but never been impressed with food to service in the bar. Mt. Adams Bar and Grill is truly the only restaurant left in Mount Adams and it does a decent business and the food is alright but nothing to tell your work colleagues or family members. Bow Tie cafe is basically a coffee house with some minor food offers, but again you rarely see many people in there as well, they did a remodel to attract more business but traffic is slow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jeremyck01 said:

 

What?? German Village in Columbus is not facing any kinds of struggles.  I was there last week and that neighborhood is hopping.  Always has been.

 

The few times I've been to German Village I always thought it was massively under retailed. It's a cute area to walk around in, but other than the big book store and a couple restaurants, it seems like it's very sleepy and residential. It doesn't have a real business district in the way Mt. Adams does. It's a charming neighborhood, for sure, but not really comparable to what Mt. Adams had, which is a cluster of ~20 businesses on two streets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, savadams13 said:

      As a younger resident of Mount Adams, and one that participates and attends the Community Council meetings monthly, there is a major problem among the majority of my neighbors. They are 55 and older, majority of them are self made and have considerable net worth. However they continuously think that they should open like six different white table cloth restaurants along St. Gregory. I have heard them time and time again shouting how about... fine dining, restaurants with live music, restaurants with raw bar. It just wont happen, because the residents don't frequent the existing establishments enough now for them to be successful. Plus parking will always be a sore spot in the neighborhood bringing non-residents up to the area.

      Brief food history, The Celestial was a dump, in the end that killed itself, Rookwood, closed because the rent was way out of control, and maintenance was poorly attended too. Teak closed because of poor ownership. Daveed's, made a second go of it and couldn't get the business to keep them profitable. Tavern on the Hill, had excellent bar food but couldn't capture the business of the neighbor on non weekend hours. The Wine Bar, with food closed never could get the business in the door,  Quincy's is now located there. Longworth's, use to have a decent food menu. Chapter, has really scaled back food menu as well. Pavilion, has bar food, but never been impressed with food to service in the bar. Mt. Adams Bar and Grill is truly the only restaurant left in Mount Adams and it does a decent business and the food is alright but nothing to tell your work colleagues or family members. Bow Tie cafe is basically a coffee house with some minor food offers, but again you rarely see many people in there as well, they did a remodel to attract more business but traffic is slow. 

 

Yeah, the places in Mt. Adams did nothing to innovate or keep up with the times. I lived in Mt. Adams for 3 years, and other than Teak or Mt. Adams Bar and Grill, I would never go to the other places for food, because they were awful. Even Tavern, which was probably the best of the bunch, had very standard (mostly fried) bar food. The Mexican place was somewhat promising, but their hours were so spotty that you couldn't depend on them being open, or actually serving food if they were open. If some of the Vine St. type of places would have opened in Mt. Adams, I think the business district would still be doing well. People like coming to Mt. Adams. It's like an urban island kind of floating above downtown, has great views, picturesque architecture, etc. But they're not gonna make the trek for some fried pickles and wings. Now that the crowds have largely left, it's going to be harder to draw people back. One cool new restaurant (preferably in the Longworths space) could spark a major comeback, though.

 

BTW, is Monks Cove still around? Even though it could attract a douchey crowd, I have a soft spot for that little bar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, edale said:

 

Yeah, the places in Mt. Adams did nothing to innovate or keep up with the times. I lived in Mt. Adams for 3 years, and other than Teak or Mt. Adams Bar and Grill, I would never go to the other places for food, because they were awful. Even Tavern, which was probably the best of the bunch, had very standard (mostly fried) bar food. The Mexican place was somewhat promising, but their hours were so spotty that you couldn't depend on them being open, or actually serving food if they were open. If some of the Vine St. type of places would have opened in Mt. Adams, I think the business district would still be doing well. People like coming to Mt. Adams. It's like an urban island kind of floating above downtown, has great views, picturesque architecture, etc. But they're not gonna make the trek for some fried pickles and wings. Now that the crowds have largely left, it's going to be harder to draw people back. One cool new restaurant (preferably in the Longworths space) could spark a major comeback, though.

 

BTW, is Monks Cove still around? Even though it could attract a douchey crowd, I have a soft spot for that little bar. 

Monks Cove is up for sale, but still operating. The douchey crowd isnt there anymore so its mostly dead, only time they get a slight crowd is events and weddings that come from the Monastery Event center. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moncks Cove will not be going anywhere, it doubles as a real estate office upstairs and offers a nice tax write off for the owner.

 

14 hours ago, Lucas_uLsac said:

 

I was working on a project with the GV Commission last year and one of the big concerns they had was the continuing decrease in retail over the years. They often cited Mt. Adams and how they didn't want to continue to lose retail. German Village competes with the Short North the same way Mt. Adams competes with OTR. 

I have never found German Village to be that impressive. Mt. Adams is set up a lot better with a better defined business district than GV.  I think Mt. Adams has much for potential than GV ever had.

 

4 hours ago, savadams13 said:

      As a younger resident of Mount Adams, and one that participates and attends the Community Council meetings monthly, there is a major problem among the majority of my neighbors. They are 55 and older, majority of them are self made and have considerable net worth. However they continuously think that they should open like six different white table cloth restaurants along St. Gregory. I have heard them time and time again shouting how about... fine dining, restaurants with live music, restaurants with raw bar. It just wont happen, because the residents don't frequent the existing establishments enough now for them to be successful. Plus parking will always be a sore spot in the neighborhood bringing non-residents up to the area.

      Brief food history, The Celestial was a dump, in the end that killed itself, Rookwood, closed because the rent was way out of control, and maintenance was poorly attended too. Teak closed because of poor ownership. Daveed's, made a second go of it and couldn't get the business to keep them profitable. Tavern on the Hill, had excellent bar food but couldn't capture the business of the neighbor on non weekend hours. The Wine Bar, with food closed never could get the business in the door,  Quincy's is now located there. Longworth's, use to have a decent food menu. Chapter, has really scaled back food menu as well. Pavilion, has bar food, but never been impressed with food to service in the bar. Mt. Adams Bar and Grill is truly the only restaurant left in Mount Adams and it does a decent business and the food is alright but nothing to tell your work colleagues or family members. Bow Tie cafe is basically a coffee house with some minor food offers, but again you rarely see many people in there as well, they did a remodel to attract more business but traffic is slow. 

There needs to be something to cater to the older residents who live there. Maybe not 4 white table cloth places but 1-2. The Celestial was a dump and the food sucked but it had a great view and catered to the 50+ crowd.  Like OTR, the 50+ crowd has the money to invest in the area and keep growth going. They are the ones that will actually be spending on the retail scene there since they have the money to do so.

 

Also, losing the Art Institute and Empower/Clear Channel took away a lot of jobs to the area which helped to make it more of a 24/7 destination. Without the few hundred employees who work in the building. These were people who were going to happy hour at Longworths and A Live one during the week that no longer patronized the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chas Wiederhold said:

Mt. Adams should do what other declining neighborhoods do and open up some low rent art gallery/studio spaces.

 

 image.png.c5446a7d6afba24b6e650fca5abd9d62.png

 

If you talk to alot of the older residence on Mount Adams, during the 60's there were many artist and flower children living in the area and made it more bohemian and hip. With the Art Academy and the Park it added to the desire for the creative culture to thrive in the area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the 50's and 60's Mount Adams was a working class neighborhood with a more age diverse populace and a good amount of school age children. Supermarkets wasnt the big thing it is now so all you needed was a butcher shop and a bakery in Mount Adams to satisfy your everyday food needs.   A co worker of mine that was born there whose family owned property on a prominent corner in the business district during that era  told me marveling of how much it changed to the present day  that " could you believe that the neighborhood was considered a dump back then"  so his family fled to the suburb of Reading.

Edited by Coseau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I lived in Mt. Adams as an infant in the late 70s, but remember it more from photos than from actual memories.  Judging from the photos we were the only white family in the building.  We were evicted and the building was demolished when construction of the big retaining wall below Kilgour St. damaged the building. 

 

I'll repeat that the loss of the Art Academy was pretty significant.  There used to be a crackle of energy on St. Gregory that disappeared after that building was renovated into sleepy condos.  Also, I remember when the commercial building and parking garage where WEBN used to be was under construction, but can't remember what was there before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my mother  migrated from small town Georgia to Cincinnati as a teen in the 1950's  Mount Adams was a predominantly black neighborhood . She said Cincinnati was a big city compared to Atlanta back then lol.  That was before the interstates were built and the West End was still intact.    She remembers the other kids laughing at her when she was frightened by the sparks coming from the streetcar wires when the streetcar was approaching.  Newport was the destination nightlife spot where everyone went to for a night out on town because all the fancy high end night clubs were there.  The nightclubs in Newport were also racially intergrated real well  where black and white people comingled freely in the same  fancy nightclubs, unusually progressive for its time in 1950's America.

Edited by Coseau
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playhouse in the Park lands lead gift for renovation

 

The Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park has received a lead gift for its capital campaign that will fund its renovation.

 

Moe and Jack Rouse have provided $5 million for the project. As a result, the company’s new mainstage theater will be called “Moe and Jack’s Place - The Rouse Theatre.”

 

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/04/29/playhouse-in-the-park-lands-lead-gift-for.html

 

exterior-view-from-south-as-of-4-17-19*1

  • Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mt. Adams is not dead.  The Teak will be reopening over the next 3-4 months only it can no longer be called the Teak due to the fact that when I sold the business in 2002, the individual I sold it too gets to keep the name even though he ran my creation that my family built into the ground.  That individual also was the seed that led to many of the downfalls of Mt. Adams as he owned The Fishhouse, which closed down, took over Longworth's which was the beginning of the end of that place, and finally owned the former Celestial, which closed and is now something else.  There is a plan for Mt. Adams and we will be a part of the revitalization of the business district by introducing new restaurants and night life that caters to everyone.  In particular, the former Teak will now be called 1194 representing the day we originally opened Teak.  We will have some of the old favorites, but we are planning some really interesting and new things that are not served or underserved in our genre of food in the Midwest.  We will see you in a few months as the Hill will be back just like we are!!!

Edited by Bret
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there was an article in yesterday's Wall St. Journal real estate "Mansion" section highlighting Mt. Adams (subscription required to read the whole thing online). The couple of times I visited there in the late 70's I remember a bar called City Lights (I think that's what it was called) with great views of downtown. Don't know if it's still there.

 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-cincinnati-neighborhood-with-a-presidential-past-11567525573

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

there was an article in yesterday's Wall St. Journal real estate "Mansion" section highlighting Mt. Adams (subscription required to read the whole thing online). The couple of times I visited there in the late 70's I remember a bar called City Lights (I think that's what it was called) with great views of downtown. Don't know if it's still there.

 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-cincinnati-neighborhood-with-a-presidential-past-11567525573

How about City View. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

City approves lease for Playhouse in the Park expansion

 

playhousemainstage*750xx1780-1001-0-6.jp

 

The Cincinnati Planning Commission on Friday unanimously approved a lease in Eden Park to Playhouse in the Park, which will allow a new theater to be built to replace the main Marx Theater.

 

The city will lease the land for 99 years, with a base annual rent of $88,500 based on an appraisal, according to documents filed with the planning commission.

 

The city will reappraise the site every 10 years, with rent increases capped at 25% of the rent from the previous 10-year period.

 

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/10/18/city-approves-lease-for-playhouse-in-the-park.html

  • Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just learned My.Adams Pavilion has now closed and is now a seasonal bar. Won't reopen again till April.

 

The pavilion used to be the place to be even 5 years ago. Sad and somewhat surprised 4EG is keeping the place open even if it's on a seasonal basis. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Five years ago? Nah, more like 10+ years ago.


"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 9:18 AM, troeros said:

Just learned My.Adams Pavilion has now closed and is now a seasonal bar. Won't reopen again till April.

 

The pavilion used to be the place to be even 5 years ago. Sad and somewhat surprised 4EG is keeping the place open even if it's on a seasonal basis. 

 

Surprising news!  That is the original 4EG location so I assume they own the building and it has been paid off for years, which makes it easier to keep open seasonally.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2019 at 12:06 AM, jmecklenborg said:

The closure of Longworth's was a disaster.  There is a big dead spot right in the middle of the bar district. 

Well between that and tavern on the hill across the street, the whole area is a dead spot. It's going to struggle and the old blue hairs love it. They think white table cloth restaurants are going to move in up here to appeal to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...