Sign in to follow this  
Guest zaceman

Cleveland: MOCA

Oh man, this sounds like progress.  I cannot wait to see that part of Euclid under construction for this, the Uptown apartments and CIA.  Will be a totally different place.

yes this is just excellent news! and with the train connection very close by. The possibility of urban developments near a metro train station makes me elated for the future of this city. From what I have experienced, it will become practically necessary as cities move forward. Can't wait to get back to the CLE when im out of school.

based on other foa cultural stuff, some kind of interesting boxy-like something sounds about right. cant wait to see the renders.

i wish foa would have gotten the new wtc job, i liked their designs best.

Does anybody know if the MOCA Board met June 15 to offically approve going forward with the new building? (Tentative approval had been given to the architect to start construction drawings)  I was just re reading a PD article from April and it indicates that the Board was to vote on that date, and the article suggested that if the "official" go ahead was given, renderings could follow shortly.

I've been wondering about the board's scheduled June 15th vote as well. It doesn't appear that they've made any mention of their decision to any media yet, but on GreenCityBlueLake's website, dated June 16th, 2010; they've posted  job openings of which one is Director of Development. I have no qualifications for the job, so I barely read the requirements. The thing that caught my eye was a "planned 2012 opening" of the new building. While this is certainly not definative in answering whether or not the board issued it's final approval, it looks to be a sign of a little forward momentum. Here's hoping final renderings come out VERY soon...

http://www.gcbl.org/action-areas/jobs

i went back and immediately read the job opening and noticed the posting says specifically that the Director of Development is NOT raising money for the capital campaign...so, yea. haha. guess its interesting, nonetheless.

I'm a little scared of that design. 

Maybe, I was hoping for something more glass and inviting....almost like a RRHOF looking building.

If it's somewhat transparent, then maybe this won't be so bad.

Someone was inspired when they dropped a piece of obsidian on the floor?

"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

"I smite thee with my broadsword for....(rolls model of new MOCA building)...a damage of seven hit points!"

Can't really tell much from the rendering.

Would love to see some simulated nighttime views from pedestrian perspective and some description of the facade materials.

Black glass and steel is how it has been described.  We had a very similar image posted about a year or so ago before the forumer who posted it removed the image.

A friend sent me this recently, guess its the latest image of the proposed building

Needs a pyramidal roof of the same material.  Flat roof=no good.

Remember that one 70's Doctor Who episode where everybody was trying to find the Dodecahedron?  Found it!  On second thought X is right, it looks more like the d8 traditionally used for sword damage.

Actually I think this design is just weird enough to work.  A modern art museum doesn't call for a classical design, and it shouldn't look like everything else in town that claims modernity.  This is at least unique.  It's got no corrugated aluminum, no plastic sheeting, no undersized windows, no exposed cinderblock, no chicken-wire railings... none of the awful design elements that have plagued new construction around here for the last decade.  I like it. 

It's different, challenging, thought provoking, new, not ordinary, or practical or even the absolute design but people will of course go on the attack.

from what i have been able to deduce, it also has maybe 6 inch wide "stripes" where the glass becomes a bit less opaque and more just shaded. seems like an interesting design to me, and Farshid Moussavi definitely knows how to build. she is probably one of the best choices made in this city towards architecture, becuase she is not that level of fame where anything goes, but famous enough to be an internationally well-known designer of good architecture. I may or may not be sitting at a desk working for Coop-Himmelb[l]au and if I have talked to anyone here about Farshid they probably said her work was very good and that she was the real talent behind FOA. And as a side note, I bet this thing is stunningly gorgeous at night, as StrapHanger mentioned.

I am very much looking forward to this new "gem" for our city.

It doesn't go far enough.  Take two cubes, superimposed on each other.  Rotate one 90 degrees (any direction) Rotate again 90 degrees about an orthogonal axis.  There. Kind of like a Star of David rotated through 360 degrees.  I am sure there is an name for this polygon but it has been two many years since I took anyalytic geometry. 

It doesn't go far enough. Take two cubes, superimposed on each other. Rotate one 90 degrees (any direction) Rotate again 90 degrees about an orthogonal axis. There. Kind of like a Star of David rotated through 360 degrees. I am sure there is an name for this polygon but it has been two many years since I took anyalytic geometry.

Do you mean 45 degrees?  Rotating a cube 90 degrees along any axis running from the center of the cube through the center of a surface of the cube doesn't change its appearance if all sides have the same surface.

Keep an eye on the City Planning Commission Design Review agenda.

From the Uptown thread link:

"The MOCA project, for which the design could be unveiled July 15 at a meeting of the Cleveland Design Review Committee, will occupy the strategically important corner at the western end of the triangle formed by Euclid Avenue and Mayfield Road in University Circle."

More good news on the MOCA front:

Gund Foundation gives $2.5 million in cash and loans to Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland building project

Published: Thursday, July 08, 2010, 11:05 AM    Updated: Thursday, July 08, 2010, 11:21 AM

Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

The George Gund Foundation has pushed the Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland closer to its dream of building a new home in University Circle with a $500,000 grant and a $2 million loan.

http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2010/07/gund_foundation_gives_25_milli.html

^ awesome news, they did the highline landscaping.

and moca is certainly looking sharp -- cant wait to see more detailed renders!

MOCA Cleveland board votes to unveil Farshid Moussavi design for new building Thursday

Published: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 5:36 PM   

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland took decisive steps Tuesday toward realizing its long-held dream of building an architecturally dramatic new home in University Circle.

Twenty members of the museum's board voted unanimously to break ground in December, pending completion of a campaign to raise $26.5 million for construction by the end of October.

The board also voted to unveil its closely held architectural plans Thursday morning at a meeting of the Euclid Corridor Design Review Committee.

"It's a pivotal moment for us," said MOCA Director Jill Snyder. "All cities need and deserve a contemporary art museum. I think especially for Cleveland, we become a beacon and a symbol of creativity and innovation, and even risk."

The building's design architect, Farshid Moussavi of Foreign Office Architects in London, is scheduled to speak Thursday at the design review meeting, which begins at 8 a.m. at East Mt. Zion Church, 9990 Euclid Ave., and is open to the public. She's also to speak Friday at the meeting of the city's Planning Commission.

http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2010/07/moca_cleveland_board_votes_to.html

It doesn't go far enough.  Take two cubes, superimposed on each other.  Rotate one 90 degrees (any direction) Rotate again 90 degrees about an orthogonal axis.  There. Kind of like a Star of David rotated through 360 degrees.  I am sure there is an name for this polygon but it has been two many years since I took anyalytic geometry. 

Do you mean 45 degrees?  Rotating a cube 90 degrees along any axis running from the center of the cube through the center of a surface of the cube doesn't change its appearance if all sides have the same surface.

Yes, yes 45 degrees.  How about a pyramidal roof?

MOCA Cleveland design by Farshid Moussavi of FOA calls for a multifaceted gem clad in glass and shiny black stainless steel

Published: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 10:15 AM    Updated: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 11:21 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The new Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland, for which designs will be made public today at a meeting of the Euclid Corridor Design Review Committee, is the latest manifestation of a familiar story: Yet another cultural institution is attempting to brand itself with an architecturally spectacular building-as-logo.

At 34,000 square feet, the building, designed by the internationally renowned architect Farshid Moussavi, of Foreign Office Architects in London, England, is a variation on a theme that has included everything from Peter Eisenman's Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, to Frank Gehry's Guggenheim Museum branch in Bilbao, Spain.

Moussavi's design calls for a four-story faceted gem clad in tinted and transparent glass and shiny black stainless steel, which rises from a hexagonal footprint at the base to a square-shaped gallery floor on the top level.

For the rest of the article, visit: http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2010/07/moca_cleveland_design_by_farsh.html

I like it better now that I have seen more renderings and I generally am not impressed by modern architecture.  It sure beats the hell out of the new public library we have here in Seattle-what a monstrosity.  I think it will look cool in the snow on a sunny winter day. 

I like it better now that I have seen more renderings and I generally am not impressed by modern architecture. It sure beats the hell out of the new public library we have here in Seattle-what a monstrosity. I think it will look cool in the snow on a sunny winter day.

Off topic, what don't you like about the Seattle PL?

Awesome!  Besides being an iconic new building for University Circle, I must say on a side note that I'm impressed with the main image that shows a computer generated version of the building integrated with a photo of the area.  That, and the computer generated video, are both pretty neato!

Awesome!  Besides being an iconic new building for University Circle, I must say on a side note that I'm impressed with the main image that shows a computer generated version of the building integrated with a photo of the area.  That, and the computer generated video, are both pretty neato!

jborger, you are so funny to me.  "neato".  I haven't heard that in a long time!

I like it better now that I have seen more renderings and I generally am not impressed by modern architecture. It sure beats the hell out of the new public library we have here in Seattle-what a monstrosity. I think it will look cool in the snow on a sunny winter day.

Off topic, what don't you like about the Seattle PL?

I could write a disertation on everything that is wrong with it but here goes:

i)  not harminious in size, shape, materials with surrounding buildings;

ii)  Cheap materials inside and out, interior floor is painted concrete;

ii)  Garrish interior colors, one floor is all blood red, floor, walls and cielings.  Some report vertigo and nausea when inside;

iv)  Nobody likes it;

v)  I could go on, the addition to the Cleveland Public library looks like the taj Mahal in comparison.