Sign in to follow this  
Guest zaceman

Cleveland: MOCA

It's not just (or even critically) the style that makes it out of place, it's the placement. Are they really knocking the sidewalk down to 4' on the Euclid side, or are they just sloppy with the rendering?  Do they expect pedestrians to cross Mayfield and then filter around the building on narrow sidewalks or vice versa?  What's going on at the ground floor?  Looks to me like windowless, blank walls.  Would we except that out of a design firm with a lesser pedegree?  How does this building get accessed by patrons? For loading/unloading?  What's it going to turn it's service oriented back to?  Euclid, our main street?  Mayfield, which would be nice to upgrade as a link to Little Italy? The little pedestrian pass-through behind it? (I'm assuming the main entrance would go there)  Are any of those good options?  Maybe it's accessed by underground tunnel?

^all good questions... and that's why I'll wait for more details to come out before judging... but my initial response to the form and design of the building... is that I for one really like it.

:clap:Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland is nearly ready to build a dramatic new home in University Circle

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

February 08, 2010, 8:34PM

The Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland, long a foil to the bigger, richer and more conservative Cleveland Museum of Art, is on the verge of a breakthrough.

After renting less-than-visible space for 20 years in the Cleveland Play House complex in Midtown, it's nearly ready to build a dramatic black-glass-and-steel building in University Circle.

http://www.cleveland.com/arts/index.ssf/2010/02/museum_of_contemporary_art_cle_2.html

The verbal description of the renderings make it sound great.  I don't understand the secrecy surrounding any images, though.

Well they had said they wanted to refrain from disclosing them because if they could not raise the funds required to build it they didn't want to have to publicly scale the plans down and create disapointment.  That being said now they are almost over the hump ($11 million is still no chump change to be short on) they might do well to release them, they might get some smaller donations that might add up...

Excellent news.  With the recent redesign/expansion  for the CIA's McCullough Center, the 118 and Coltman 24 townhouses along w/ other developmen in the area, I really hope the forward momentum can shake loose enough credit to stimulate the main residential piece of the mixed-use portion of Uptown at Euclid-Ford-E. 115.

How big is this building going to be? Just curious

I am pretty sure it is well under 100k sqft... I remember someone had put up some renderings awhile ago that leaked but was forced to remove them.  Maybe some one who recalls can give you more accurate information.

^ The same size as LBJ's house in Bath!

Not sure how I feel about the black glass and steel for that particular intersection but will wait for the renderings.  Is there any indication that it will be something like that "cube" image we saw before?

^ The same size as LBJ's house in Bath!

Not sure how I feel about the black glass and steel for that particular intersection but will wait for the renderings. Is there any indication that it will be something like that "cube" image we saw before?

I believe it to be the same one (for those who got a glimse).  They describe it as gemlike....

It sounds like it would be a cool space but I agree the exterior description sounds similar to a "70's/80's" mistake or something.  I guess we have to wait for March for a better look.

Well, it's a modern art museum, so I guess modern architecture is appropriate.  Please no Borg cube though.

EDIT:  Apparently it's to be a hexagon shape... can't wait to see Uptown renderings that include this.

I hope this is another piece to turning University Circle into a great neighborhood.  Can you imagine just how amazing University would become with some more housing and commercial.  It would the neighborhood with the most cultural amenities in the state and one of the best in the whole country!!

for the record, litt's line is that the CMA as a whole is conservative, in keeping with his self-appointed role as arbiter of taste or whatever. his recent article about major exhibitions at the CMA reveals his bias if you missed it. your paraphrasing of this, as conservative collections, is simply inaccurate. the collection of the CMA is encyclopedic, covering the entire history of art. perhaps the word you are looking for is traditional or perhaps canonical. an institution does not amass a collection such as the CMA's by collecting conservatively, whatever the period, style, or medium.

Those renderings showed a footprint, with some indication of what the upper story's outlines would be like.  We haven't really seen a full rendering yet, or even a massing.

I definitely remember the cube/gem/hexagon/whatever on the corner of Mayfield and Euclid.

yeeeaaaaah thats what it looked like. i have the image but reading this I will hold it until they want it released. Plus by the sound of the article they may have changed it already.. can't wait for this one! the area is really becoming incredible. IMHO (and way off topic) is that the entire area needs to be more pedestrian friendly.. hmm...

anyways.. great write up by litt!

Sorry Scav. I don't know how else to describe it. Not that I didn't like it. I'll look forward to the official release.

hehe there is nothing to apologize for.. the long drawn out "yea" was meant to be like.. "oops there is secrecy behind this image we werent supposed to see" lol your description was good I would certainly call it a gem ;)

i agree anyways, lets wait for this public rendering because they have probably made some sweet changes!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the form of the building hasn't changed much from those renderings that leaked, but that the skin of it is quite different. Previously, I'd best describe it as a piece of gold bling. I could be totally wrong about that though.

My understanding of the FOA split is that Farshid Moussavi and Alejandro Zaera-Polo are splitting their office and projects, effectively in half with each of the projects that each was running in the office going with them. The architecture rumor mill is that they were operating independently of each other in recent years anyway. As far as I know MOCA has always been Moussavi's project, with Zaera-Polo not really involved in the design.

For those that don't know, the FOA office is splitting because they were married and are getting divorced. 

http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2010/04/moca_cleveland_asks_architect.html

MOCA Cleveland asks architect Farshid Moussavi to provide final designs for new building at Uptown

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

April 20, 2010, 4:22PM

The Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland, which has occupied rented space since it was founded in 1968, is one step closer to construction of a new building in the budding Uptown development at University Circle.

On Monday, the MOCA board voted unanimously to ask architects from the Cleveland firm of Westlake Reed Leskosky to produce final construction drawings for a detailed concept created by Farshid Moussavi of Foreign Office Architects in London, England. The move toward construction documents is a key step toward a possible groundbreaking in November.

The board is scheduled to vote again June 15 on the official go ahead, which could lead to the public release of the Moussavi design soon after the vote, a groundbreaking and an opening by mid-2012.