CLEVELAND STORAGE COMPANY
1944 Scranton Avenue
In 1884, to serve the storage and transshipment needs of the rapidly industrializing Flats area, the Cleveland Storage Company constructed a four-story, brick and wood beam warehouse, 180 feet by 120 feet, designed by J. S. Watterson. The warehouse’s Scranton Avenue site had easy access to the Cuyahoga River, as well as three railroad lines, Cleveland Chamber of Commerce and St. Louis, Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, and the Erie Railroad. An 1884 advertisement stated, “We call your attention to the advantages offered by our warehouse . . especially to that large class of merchants to whom it is an advantage to have a stock of goods in this city from which to supply all small orders in broken lots, or for quick delivery to any desired point. We are prepared to receive pig iron, iron ore, copper, lumber, dry goods, canned goods, household goods, . .” The warehouse also had a large cold storage capacity for storing fruit, butter, eggs, and other perishable goods. In 1890 the warehouse expanded. J. S. Watterson designed a two-story brick and wood-beam building, 47 feet by 200 feet, which had three additional stories added in 1895. In 1895 a two-story building, 94 feet by 43 feet, was added. The buildings are used for storage today. The cold storage area no longer exists.
[Cleveland City Directory: 1884-1885 14 (Cleveland, 1884): 129.] - From the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER)