Cincinnati Streetcar / The Connector News

thomasbw

They can't run longer streetcars because of the a)stations b)maintenance facility. 

Parking would have to be reduced or eliminated for the streetcar staff in order to lay more storage track for longer streetcars.  Also, the maintenance building itself would have to be extended southward.  The existing turnaround loop would have to be rebuilt somewhere else.

I get that the stops are too short but if that wasn't an issue, you could run two streetcars out on the street, couple them, then uncouple them at the end of the day. It's not like they don't already have that feature built in.

4 hours ago, JaceTheAce41 said:

Maybe people need to start petitioning city council to make signal priority a priority.

We have never turned on the signal jump at the top of Vine St. at McMillan that was built when Metro Plus appeared around 2012:

Screenshot_2024-03-30_at_1.17.23_AM.png?

There is now just a funny lane where an surging car occasionally passes a car following the speed limit on the right

This is the whole problem with BRT - somebody will complain and the signal priority will be turned off at one intersection after another. 

On 3/30/2024 at 3:18 AM, DEPACincy said:

You don't really need to run longer trains, just run them more frequently. Cut the time between trains and the crowds will spread out more. 

Correct. 

On 3/30/2024 at 7:21 AM, JaceTheAce41 said:

Running an extra train might be helpful too. Maybe people need to start petitioning city council to make signal priority a priority.

I haven't updated this one in a little while because Milwaukee has inadvertently been reporting their streetcar miles instead of their streetcar hours to the FTA (they reported like 7000 hours of service last month) but we run considerably less service than the other Midwestern systems). 

image.thumb.png.7f5ff91d0611bc8d8eefa42e897fc2d3.png

• 3 weeks later...

[I accidentally posted this on the wrong thread, moved it over to where it should be]

I made this chart to test my hypothesis that Cincinnati had the shortest span of service of any modern streetcar system on Sundays. Turns out we don’t but we have the second-lowest total hours of service span. 

image.png.26afd5d4e8b52385c3fb8d29d1b3b327.png

Fun facts-

Earliest Start Time is Tacoma 4:30am followed by Dallas 5:30am

Latest End Time is a four-way tie- Tucson, Tampa, DC and OKC 2am on Friday and Saturday

Earliest End time is also Tacoma at 630pm on Sundays 

Tucson, Tampa, KC, DC and OKC all have extended hours on Friday and Saturday nights (KC only goes until 1am)

Also weirdly Tucson has extended late-night hours on Thursdays, no one else does.