Cleveland: Campus District

I love this part of town, and did quiet a bit of historical research on it a few years back.

Cleveland's oldest arts district is about to go 2.0 as the Superior Arts District

Karin Connelly Rice | Wednesday, October 25, 2017

For decades, an eight-block section around Superior Avenue in the Campus District has served as one of Cleveland’s first live-work districts for artists and their studios. In just a few weeks, this area will become known as the Cleveland Superior Arts Business Improvement District, or for short, Superior Arts District.

“What this neighborhood has always had authentically is artists that are producing work,” says Bobbi Reichtell, Campus District executive director. “Between the Tower Press building, the ArtCraft Building, and a couple of smaller buildings, we probably have 90 to 100 artists’ studios or live-work spaces here.”

Proponents of the district have been working since February 2016 to establish the area from Payne Avenue to St. Clair Avenue (between E. 18th Street and E. 26th Street) as a Business Improvement District (BID). Advocates believe the BID will help continue the thriving artist culture, as well as create a cleaner, safer neighborhood for increased business and foot traffic—enabling the Superior Arts District to rise up to the level of other popular city arts centers like Gordon Square.

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/breaking-ground/SuperiorArts102517.aspx?utm_source=Emma&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Cleveland%27s+oldest+arts+district+is+about+to+go+2.0+as+the+Superior+Arts+District&utm_content=Newsletter&utm_campaign=This+Cleveland+Clinic+doctor+is+close+to+making+breast+and+ovarian+cancer+vaccines+a+reality

• 2 months later...

Walker & Weeks Apartments, a five-floor building home to one of Cleveland's best-known architecture firms from the 1920s to the 1950s, has been sold to an Oakland, Calif.,-based investor group by an affiliate of local developer John Ferchill.

https://t.co/9ZtLKcaIFi

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Walker & Weeks Apartments, a five-floor building home to one of Cleveland's best-known architecture firms from the 1920s to the 1950s, has been sold to an Oakland, Calif.,-based investor group by an affiliate of local developer John Ferchill.

I saw a couple “likes” on this article. Is this a good thing that Ferchill sold it? I don’t know Ferchill’s reputation.

Non-Students leasing at The Edge.

At The Edge, a student housing development that opened last July at 1750 Euclid Ave., there was a surprising benefit from strong demand for one-bedrooms.

Constance Campbell, regional manager of Peak Campus Management, said the company leased several apartments to young professionals working downtown because so few were available in the market. She said she could not say how many non-students are in the building because of federal fair housing laws. She declined to disclose specific leasing levels but said they are beyond expectation.

I saw a couple “likes” on this article. Is this a good thing that Ferchill sold it? I don’t know Ferchill’s reputation.

The sale might provide cash to a local developer for another project, which seems like a good thing.  Potentially.

Unless Ferchill uses the money to invest in another city. And Ferchill has been developing real estate in other cities, not Cleveland.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 1 month later...

Whenever I see renderings of people in them, I chuckle. 'Look how lively it looks'. Yeah well if you knew a thing or two about cleveland we only come out at night and in the summer. Also I don't really like the color palette.  Its too 'vanilla' as vanilla was big in the 60's and 70's with oak... Really not too fond of it.

Good God. That's supposed to be the same place?! Man, you all got sold a dream! Brought to you by Syke Development Corp.

That should warrant serious fines but they probably have the city in their pocket, anyway.

Whenever I see renderings of people in them, I chuckle. 'Look how lively it looks'. Yeah well if you knew a thing or two about cleveland we only come out at night and in the summer. Also I don't really like the color palette.  Its too 'vanilla' as vanilla was big in the 60's and 70's with oak... Really not too fond of it.

Don't you two have a reservation for two on Cleveland.bomb to be getting to?

Good God. That's supposed to be the same place?! Man, you all got sold a dream! Brought to you by Syke Development Corp.

That should warrant serious fines but they probably have the city in their pocket, anyway.

It looks exactly like the rendering... The skin of the building hasn't been put on obviously, but it is still under construction. Your comment makes no sense, though I'm not surprised by that.

What are you talking about?  It's not even close to being done.  They clearly still have to do the outside, so how about a breath and let them finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown Cleveland office structure renovated into stylish 1900 Euclid Lofts: Apartment of the week

Updated on Mar 28, 2018 at 07:07 AM EDT

By Anne Nickoloff, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Back in the day, 1900 Euclid existed as an office building in downtown Cleveland across from Cleveland State University. In 2002, the building was renovated to house 80 apartments.

The building is located directly across the street from CSU's Drinko Hall and just down the street from Playhouse Square. Public Square is a 20-minute walk away.

MORE:

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/03/1920s_office_structure_renovat.html

Downtown Cleveland office structure renovated into stylish 1900 Euclid Lofts: Apartment of the week

Updated on Mar 28, 2018 at 07:07 AM EDT

By Anne Nickoloff, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Back in the day, 1900 Euclid existed as an office building in downtown Cleveland across from Cleveland State University. In 2002, the building was renovated to house 80 apartments.

The building is located directly across the street from CSU's Drinko Hall and just down the street from Playhouse Square. Public Square is a 20-minute walk away.

MORE:

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/03/1920s_office_structure_renovat.html

Public Square is a 20 minute walk away?  The writer must be one of those slow-walkers I'm always dodging around!

You can always tell the walkers from the non-walkers by how they walk -- or write.

You can always tell the walkers from the non-walkers by how they walk -- or write.

Or she has never actually completed that walk and is relying on Google Maps, which I find is set to "Grandmother Speed" for walking directions.

Public Square is a 20 minute walk away?  The writer must be one of those slow-walkers I'm always dodging around!

Actually, I typically budget 20 minutes to walk the same distance from my office to the courthouse.  Sure, it would be less if I just factored in the time it took me to walk from the front door of my building to the front door of the courthouse, but most people aren't.  And I'm a fairly quick walker. 

Google maps says that it is exactly 1 mile from 1900 Euclid to Public Square.  Most people walk between 1-2 miles per hour, so that 20 minutes seems accurate enough.  It's far enough that a bus ride would be welcome many days.

This area has huge potential.  It looks like things are happening.  Btw, I've seen the plans for 2125 Superior.  It'll be a cool project and it's nearly fully funded.

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2018/04/in_clevelands_superior_arts_di.html

2101 Superior, GBX's new hqs, is pictured in the cited gallery. It looks oddly incomplete at the roofline. Is it missing its original cornice?

Es war ein heisser Nacht in Apalachicola als die asbest Vorhang gefällt.

• 4 weeks later...

This area has huge potential.  It looks like things are happening.  Btw, I've seen the plans for 2125 Superior.  It'll be a cool project and it's nearly fully funded.

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2018/04/in_clevelands_superior_arts_di.html

Looks like it's going to be on deck this week at Design Review...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=2786&CASE=DF%202018-032

Downtown/Flats Case #  DF 2018-032

Address: 2125 Superior Ave

Company: LDA Architects

Architect: LDA / PC5-8Build

Description:

This project is for the conversion of (2) existing warehouse buildings into new apartments w/ ground floor retail space.  Site improvements, Sidewalk Improvements, Lot Consolidation & Building Improvements all proposed.

A few of the many graphics for the above project......

2125_Superior_IMG_01.jpg

2125_Superior_IMG_02.jpg

2125_Superior_IMG_05.jpg

2125_Superior_IMG_09.jpg

2125_Superior_IMG_10.jpg

2125_Superior_IMG_11.jpg

2125_Superior_IMG_13.jpg

2125_Superior_IMG_15.jpg

2125_Superior_IMG_16.jpg

2125_Superior_IMG_17.jpg

• 1 month later...

Firm buys former City Blue Building near CSU for apartment conversion  By STAN BULLARD

Woda Group plans to convert the five-story building at 1937 Prospect Ave. into luxury lofts in an estimated $14 million project.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20150108/FREE/150109918/columbus-firm-buys-former-city-blue-building-near-csu-for-apartment

These guys aren't wasting time moving forward! Landmark status puts them in contention for historic tax credits....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2015/02122015/index.php

Cleveland Landmarks Commission

AGENDA - February 12, 2015

CLEVELAND LANDMARK NOMINATION

Stuyvesant Building

1937 Prospect Avenue

In 1962:

Stuyvesant_Building_01.jpg

In 2014:

16518743315_50bcf3fa50_b.jpg

CL_20180618_P02_Styvestant_24p_i.jpg

Guess I spoke too soon back in 2015. NOW it seems they're moving forward....

Prospect Avenue to gain new apartments

June 17, 2018 4:01 am UPDATED 36 MINUTES AGO

By STAN BULLARD

Columbus-based Woda Cooper Cos. is starting to rebuild the five-story Stuyvesant Building near Cleveland State University as 42 apartments in a $10 million project, but it's taking a different tack from the plethora of rentals being added downtown.

The building at 1937 Prospect Ave., to be called Prospect Yard, is being financed with low-income and affordable tax credits so it will provide downtown housing for $354 to $860 monthly — far less than the going rate of $1,000 monthly. Prospective tenants will be people with annual incomes ranging from $15,000 to $40,000, although actual rents and income will vary due to the number of people in the household.

Joseph McCabe, vice president of development for Woda Cooper, said in an interview that the project will benefit workers in downtown hotels, restaurants and bars, and other businesses who want to live near work, especially if they do not own a car.

MORE:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180617/news/165331/prospect-avenue-gain-new-apartments

• 1 month later...

Firm buys former City Blue Building near CSU for apartment conversion  By STAN BULLARD

Woda Group plans to convert the five-story building at 1937 Prospect Ave. into luxury lofts in an estimated $14 million project.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20150108/FREE/150109918/columbus-firm-buys-former-city-blue-building-near-csu-for-apartment

These guys aren't wasting time moving forward! Landmark status puts them in contention for historic tax credits....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2015/02122015/index.php

Cleveland Landmarks Commission

AGENDA - February 12, 2015

CLEVELAND LANDMARK NOMINATION

Stuyvesant Building

1937 Prospect Avenue

In 1962:

Stuyvesant_Building_01.jpg

In 2014:

16518743315_50bcf3fa50_b.jpg

CL_20180618_P02_Styvestant_24p_i.jpg

Guess I spoke too soon back in 2015. NOW it seems they're moving forward....

Prospect Avenue to gain new apartments

June 17, 2018 4:01 am UPDATED 36 MINUTES AGO

By STAN BULLARD

Columbus-based Woda Cooper Cos. is starting to rebuild the five-story Stuyvesant Building near Cleveland State University as 42 apartments in a $10 million project, but it's taking a different tack from the plethora of rentals being added downtown.

The building at 1937 Prospect Ave., to be called Prospect Yard, is being financed with low-income and affordable tax credits so it will provide downtown housing for $354 to $860 monthly — far less than the going rate of $1,000 monthly. Prospective tenants will be people with annual incomes ranging from $15,000 to $40,000, although actual rents and income will vary due to the number of people in the household.

Joseph McCabe, vice president of development for Woda Cooper, said in an interview that the project will benefit workers in downtown hotels, restaurants and bars, and other businesses who want to live near work, especially if they do not own a car.

MORE:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180617/news/165331/prospect-avenue-gain-new-apartments

I love this project. Interior demo started this week and looks to be moving apace!

My hovercraft is full of eels

I just saw it an hour ago as I was dropping off a friend for the 1:30 pm Megabus to Chicago at STJ. They are indeed moving VERY quickly!

• 2 months later...

Late news??

KeyBank Provides $6M Construction Loan for Affordable Housing Project in Cleveland

https://rebusinessonline.com/keybank-provides-6m-construction-loan-for-affordable-housing-project-in-cleveland/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3044&CASE=DF 2018-114

Downtown/Flats Design Review Case Report

EAST 19TH STREET REHAB

Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Downtown/Flats Case #  DF 2018-114

Address:1530 East 19th Street

Company:Polaris Property Group LLC

Architect:

Description:

The proposed rehabilitiation of a existing single story building into new student housing.

+++++++++

It's the building in the foreground, at left. BTW, just beyond it is type of building that used to be all over the near East Side but got demolished for CSU and surrounding parking lots....

1530 E19th-Aug2016.JPG

1 hour ago, KJP said:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3044&CASE=DF 2018-114

Downtown/Flats Design Review Case Report

EAST 19TH STREET REHAB

Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Downtown/Flats Case #  DF 2018-114

Address:1530 East 19th Street

Company:Polaris Property Group LLC

Architect:

Description:

The proposed rehabilitiation of a existing single story building into new student housing.

+++++++++

It's the building in the foreground, at left. BTW, just beyond it is type of building that used to be all over the near East Side but got demolished for CSU and surrounding parking lots....

This doesn't seem like a very big building for CSU to use as additional housing.  Wonder how many units they'll get out of this building??

CSU isn't doing this. A private company is.

13 minutes ago, dar124 said:

This doesn't seem like a very big building for CSU to use as additional housing.  Wonder how many units they'll get out of this building??

CSU isn't involved with it. It would be a private development likely just marketed to students. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Progress....

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

South Side Task Force

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

3:00 PM  4:30 PM

Google Calendar  ICS

Do you work, live, attend classes, visit the doctor, or do anything else in the area around St. Vincent Charity Medical Center or the Tri-C Metro Campus?  The area of the Campus District south of I-90 is rich with history, character, and opportunity.  Help the Campus District  decide what the priorities should be this year and for the next ten.  The first  task force meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 29th from 3pm to 4:30pm.  Location has not been determined so be sure to RSVP to receive updates!

https://campusdistrict.org/events/2019/1/29/south-side-task-force

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So at design review demolition is slated for warehouses along Chester Ave. The company ECHO Reality out of Pittsburgh develops among other things Giant Eagles, Market District, GetGo stations. The demolition doesn't mention the property that the BP station sits on as far as I can tell. So is this just a giant GetGo station or something different?

IMG_20190223_162726_661.jpg

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I checked other properties with "Echo Get Go" in them in Cuyahoga County and all include Get-Go gas stations. But it looks too small for a full-service grocery store and too big for a Get-Go station (if you include the BP station).

The approximate land areas used for these recently built, urban Get Go gas stations:

CLE West 117th @ I-90.........42,000 sq ft
Lakewood-Detroit @ Bunts...63,000 sq ft
Chester @ I-90.................... 130,000 sq ft (BP station is included)

Another question: why build a Get-Go gas station here when you're traffic counts are going to be cut (perhaps significantly) by the opening of the Opportunity Corridor in a couple of years? Then again, there's no decent place downtown to get gas. The big difference around here is that a full-service grocery in this neighborhood is moving farther east. So maybe they're trying to get the downtown commuters to buy gas and some groceries here before they hop on the Inner Belt to go home, while also helping to fill a geographic void from the relocation of Dave's as well as the growing CSU student population (especially just south of here at Euclid and East 30th)?

I was looking for comparable urban Giant Eagle grocery stores. Interestingly, at 318-320 Cedar Ave. in the North Shore neighborhood in Pittsburgh, there is a Giant Eagle grocery store with a small parking lot, a Sunoco gas station and APlus convenience store out front. Combined, these properties amount to roughly 128,250 sf.

And in the Shadyside section of Pittsburgh, east of downtown, there is a Giant Eagle Market District with parking mostly below the store at 5550 Centre Ave. It has no gas station. Its property measures about 86,000 sf. This is probably the most urbanized setting for a Giant Eagle grocery store I've encountered. It's worth a look on Google.

Not sure what all this means, but we shall soon find out.

• Like 1

I thought Get-Go stations were only built in close proximity to Giant Eagle/Market Districts.  The furthest one I can think of is the Giant Eagle on Biddulph/Get-go on Ridge (aprx 3/4 mile)

With Dave's on Payne moving to 55th, this leaves that facility open for development. Could GE be considering a move into the City? These two sites are only about a 1/4 mile apart.

Unlikely, but it did make me think

The grocery and the gas station don't need to be close.  In Medina they're across town from each other.  I would be pleasantly surprised if Giant Eagle builds a store on this site, especially with the new Dave's still pretty close by.