Sign in to follow this  
Columbusite

Columbus: University District: South Campus Gateway

There's so much housing stock in that area though. It shouldn't be too bad as long as they increase the density with new projects and not just increase the demand. I for one am very appreciative of cheap housing near our universities; a girl I know in Evanston, IL is paying 1600 a month for a 2bdrm apt. with her friend  :-o

People complain about how high the rents are in the district, but the prices I was quoted for South Campus Gateway and others are _cheap_ compared to what my friends are paying at NYU, PIAD, and even here at UK. That is affordable, but when people are accustomed to poor housing stock (per reports I cited earlier) that rent for cheap by absentee landlords or landlords who couldn't give a damn about the property, then anything over what that price is is suddenly "outrageous."

Not to mention, Gateway and the nearby short north do a good job of convincing students to come to OSU in the first place (they're obviously going to be more impressed by new development than dirty cheap housing). In this case, I'm pro-development because I can't see it bleeding much further into campus (professionals aren't gonna want to live that closely to the college scene and students alone can't sustain two-level McFaddens and Hyde Park Steakhouses).

I never saw high street as being "rich", just vibrant because of high density of singles and young professionals in general but I noticed a Segway store the other day and nothing says disposable income like buying one of those things.

^ Thank you David. That corresponds to my critical comment on the aesthetics of the Gateway project, and the revitalization of the districts around the university as a whole. Parent's are not going to send their children to a school that is surrounded by seedy tattoo parlors, bars, or head shops (as appealing as it may be to the select few on here). They are also not going to send their children to schools in high-crime areas (as cited earlier), or have them live in off-campus substandard housing (as cited earlier). Much needed investment is needed in the districts around the university, and this is just the start. The apartments and lofts are still very much affordable to rent (try pricing them at other universities in similar revitalizing areas); $600-$1000 for 1 br. is not out of the question anymore. I am paying $680 for an _efficency_ in a downtown location, but save money on biking to work, to the grocery store, etc. It comes out about even.

I also have a friend who is going to Univ. of Houston, and is living 2 miles from campus in a shady area. $800/month for rent in a tiny 1 br. Anything closer is cheaper, but the neighborhoods surrounding the university are extremely run-down, infested with crime, and are not oriented to college students (think Short North, etc. 15 years ago).

>a girl I know in Evanston, IL is paying 1600 a month for a 2bdrm apt. with her friend 

She's paying it or her parents are paying it?  Granted girls get bartending jobs a lot easier than dudes, but you didn't elaborate.

>quoted for South Campus Gateway and others are _cheap_ compared to what my friends are paying at NYU, PIAD, and even here at UK

In college, I paid $125/mo and $220/mo in Cincinnati and even $77/mo in Tennessee.  Right now I pay $330/mo.  Why do I live in cheap places?  Because my parents didn't and don't pay for stuff.  And yes I am trying to make all of you whose parents pay for everything feel guilty.  When you don't have the money, you don't have the dining "options", the shopping "options", etc.   

Wrong. I pay for my own rent because I have a nice paying job at the university -- found on my own, thank you very much. Your generalizations that anyone with money must be mooching off of their parents is unfounded and wholly speculative. Not everyone works as a bartender to "make good money" -- there are many other jobs that pay just as well and are not in a restaurant or bar envrion. A good education is all that is needed, and anyone can find an internship or co-op... or shock, a regular job.

When you have the money, you can spend it freely as you see fit. If they can afford to live in an apartment at the Gateway, etc., then why complain? I can see a pattern setting up here... anyone who can afford to live in such a "gentrified" development must have rich parents.

For $330/month here, I can rent out of a total slum party house near campus. But I choose to live in a more upscale envion, in a downtown high rise, where security is pretty much a given, and where I don't have to worry about partying neighbors, crime, etc. I pay -- with my own money, with my own job -- for the sake of being in a nice place.

(And BTW, market rate increase pretty much pushes out any $125/month rentals, unless it was in a total slum. $125/month here gets you a shack, literally, in north Lexington, where the crime rate is much higher. How long ago was this?)

IMO parents should pay for as much of their kids college as they can, as long as their child is working a part time job, i.e. "being responsible". I wouldn't pay to have my kid live in a new development unless he was splitting that one bedroom with another room mate, cutting the cost in half, which I think is what a lot of people do. Im paying roughly 250 a month next year for my portion of a house near UC and I'm perfectly happy with it.

I'm a cheap ass like you JMecklenborg but there's still always going to be the upper middle class suburban parents that are willing to pay ridiculous rents for their kids to live in new expensive development so I don't see development creeping up High Street as a bad thing. Now, me personally, if my parents gave me 700 a month to live with someone in stetson square, I'd pocket the excess money, and live somewhere cheaper since they never come down to visit me anyway.

>quoted for South Campus Gateway and others are _cheap_ compared to what my friends are paying at NYU, PIAD, and even here at UK

In college, I paid $125/mo and $220/mo in Cincinnati and even $77/mo in Tennessee.  Right now I pay $330/mo.  Why do I live in cheap places?  Because my parents didn't and don't pay for stuff.  And yes I am trying to make all of you whose parents pay for everything feel guilty.  When you don't have the money, you don't have the dining "options", the shopping "options", etc.   

Why should someone feel guilty for having money, or from coming from money? If someone's parents want to shell out money so their kid can live in a nicer environment, that's their choice.  I don't know why you're so bitter all the time about people having more money than you.

>Your generalizations that anyone with money must be mooching off of their parents is unfounded and wholly speculative. Not everyone works as a bartender to "make good money" -- there are many other jobs that pay just as well and are not in a restaurant or bar envrion.

I am talking about people in college, not people out of college with full-time jobs.  Except drug dealing and stripping what job that a person in college can get exceeds what can be made as a bartender?  Due to employee theft there's really nothing that tops bartending or being doorman.  There are a lot of bartenders out there making $50K only working two or three nights a week.   

>Your generalizations that anyone with money must be mooching off of their parents is unfounded and wholly speculative.

In college and in grad school I knew a lot of people who had never, ever, ever had a job of any kind.  I knew a guy who got $2,000 a month from his parents and then would complain about being low on money.  These people are out there and there are a lot of them. 

>If someone's parents want to shell out money so their kid can live in a nicer environment, that's their choice.

Can't remember the title of the song but there's a Bob Dylan lyric "helpless like a rich man's son". 

There's almost no one going to college that isn't being supported by their parents. Anyone who says they're going to college with out the help of their parents is full of sh!t. The system is set up to where parents are expected to help. A part time job is all a student can handle, and in most cases, it would barely cover a car payment and insurance, let alone rent, cell phone, textbooks, food etc.

There's almost no one going to college that isn't being supported by their parents. Anyone who says they're going to college with out the help of their parents is full of sh!t. The system is set up to where parents are expected to help. A part time job is all a student can handle, and in most cases, it would barely cover a car payment and insurance, let alone rent, cell phone, textbooks, food etc.

you mean almost no one you know.

personally speaking, i was a traditional undergrad college student in every sense (lccc, csu, bgsu) except that i 100% paid my own way via work/loans/grants and unlike the students you are referring to i even had to send money home to my parents on occasion -- although that last part is unusual, this sounds like something that would be totally outside your awareness.

but more commonly lots of students do work/study and or take loans and get grants w/o parental help. also, depends what you mean by college too. if not traditional 4yr schools, i'd bet a good portion of community college students pay their way. ditto the urban schools and tech/business schools like say devry.

I am talking about people in college, not people out of college with full-time jobs.  Except drug dealing and stripping what job that a person in college can get exceeds what can be made as a bartender?  Due to employee theft there's really nothing that tops bartending or being doorman.  There are a lot of bartenders out there making $50K only working two or three nights a week. 

In college and in grad school I knew a lot of people who had never, ever, ever had a job of any kind.  I knew a guy who got $2,000 a month from his parents and then would complain about being low on money.  These people are out there and there are a lot of them.

No, I was referring to people in college. I make plenty of money that I can afford a decent apartment, and I am saving for a downpayment on a new condo. I have friends who are making money working at Best Buy, being a waiter, doing internships and co-ops, and so on. There are plenty of jobs, if you want to do some legwork yourself, they are there.

^ Community college and technical schools are FAR cheaper than typical four-year universities. Not your typical Phoenix University, whose degrees are so watered down that many companies simply do not accept them. Want a good education from a quality school? You need to pay up. Loans are okay for some, but you are going to have an assload of payments after and it can come back to haunt you. Grants are harder to get anymore. Scholarships are for those who are smart and/or talented.

As for what David said, 75% of students are supported by their parents ("Univ. of Kentucky Registar Statistics"). That is a majority.

^and cc's and tech schools, etc. added up are 75% of all college students. but if you want to narrow the field seicer , fine.

question: your uk info doesnt say what support means. $50 a month? $2k?

regardless, even tho most students at traditional 4yr schools do get money from home, david also said "almost no one" goes it alone and 25% at uk is certainly not even close to almost no one.

i still say there were a lot of students going the loan/grant/work route at bgsu. that would at least imply the majority of the burden is on them. yet maybe you count those as being supported by parents too? i dk its muddy at that level.

and don't get me started if you think the instruction you get undergrad at a 4yr state school in ohio is better than what you can get at a community college. not always true either.

It depends on the rankings and the college you are in. I'm using my own personal bias towards UK and the program I am in, which is #5 ranked (Decision Science), but there are many programs here at UK that are highly ranked -- and many that simply do not exist at the level at a community college or technical/vo-tech field (due to the complexities of the program, and that a community college typically do not offer 4 year degrees -- at least here in Kentucky).

By parental support from my 75% statistic, that is open-ended. It was a generalized question that was offered on a simple polling sheet given to the students to fill out -- it was optional. Even if it was $50 a month or $3,000 a month, that is still support. Then you must include in other forms of support, which are too numerous to describe.

As for the loan deal, is it the parents paying off the loan while the child is in school? Or the child after he graduates? It's a murky area.

Why should someone feel guilty for having money, or from coming from money? If someone's parents want to shell out money so their kid can live in a nicer environment, that's their choice.  I don't know why you're so bitter all the time about people having more money than you.

If I may interject: It's not that anyone should be bitter about people having more money than others, be it a little or a lot. If parents want to pamper their children while in college that's fine, and that's pretty much expected if you're fortunate enough to attend an elite private school.  It's just that these days even state universities are becoming increasingly unaffordable to prospective students from the poor and working class; not that this is the fault of the affluent, but in an effort to make them more selective, these schools are now catering to those with more bucks, creating an even greater class gap than ever.

^ Have fun paying it :( I know a friend who went that route and has to pay it off over the next 30 years.

^^ Not necessairly that reason alone. The costs of retaining skilled and highly educated professors has risen sharply, along with the costs of just about everything there is at a university. Here at UK, we have a state mandate to become a Top 20 university by 2020 -- meaning that we have had sharp increases in the budget to retain highly qualified faculty. Along with that, many of our buildings are horribly outdated and old and need to be either replaced or renovated. There are also an uber amount of building projects ongoing, including one of the largest academic buildings in the nation. That costs a lot of $$$.

But in a way, increasing tuition by over 50% since I started does make it more selective. Those at the bottom can only afford to take out loans or hope for a scholarship. Or work their way through, but given that tuition does not match the market rate (unlike rent), then it is a lose-lose situation.

David,

You said that to you you haven’t' viewed high st. as being up scale (other than German village area) that is maybe true in the past, but not these days.

The part of the short north that was developed first is very upscale now.

Lets just discuss a few of the retail and housing options on High St. between Goodale (the gap) and 3rd.

Rosendale’s- a new restaurant opened by a chef from the Greenbrier resort. Average entree here is 35 plus.

Dakota Condo Building- Most units are over 500,000 and up.

Sole Classics Store- Here a hoddie will run you almost 300 dollars

Rigby’s- Average price point for your main course is 25-38

Dr. Mojoe- If you find a pair of jeans in Mojoe for below 200 that's a bargain

Hyde Park Steakhouse- I don’t need to say anything more about this one

Now what makes the short north so cool still is that the high end has still been mixed with somewhat bohemian and hole in the wall bars/pubs like Short North tavern, and the random art galleries (not that they are cheap either, try paying a few thousand for a tea pot)

And yes the Short North does have Ohio's first Segway outlet right on High St. next to Sole Classics and Planet Smoothie

Also, all of the new condo developments in the Short North are getting more upscale as they continue. Most of them are being developed by the owners of the gay bars Union and Axis who know own half of the Short North and have aligned themselves with the democratic party, and the new governor, Senator, etc. etc.

*This is another tangent, but kind of on topic, because the growth in the short north and gay business men who have gotten wealthy off of the growth are now using their money to pay their way into politics at the statehouse

I know from personal experience.

Saturday night I dined with the owner of the Dakota building who sat with the governor, his wife, and the mayor championing the cause of Gay Rights at a fundraiser for the Human Rights Campaign (which actually included the HRC from Dayton, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis; as they do not have their own fundraiser and enough corporate sponsorship of gay rights as Columbus, Cincinnati did have an exec from 5/3 representing, while Columbus had Nationwide, Chase, Limited, and Abercrombie and Fitch)

And last week a lead short north developer met with Sherrod Brown at Union Station, the new upscale million-dollar Union gay bar in the Short North

Do realize, the short north is serving a greater purpose in the new democratic Ohio

Columbus has a lot of "new" money from all of this development, and most is gay, and most is now championing their cause and making a impact on the state law as a whole, its a beautiful thing, but without the money in the Short North this wouldn't be happening (Example: Cite the Governors new order to protect sexual orientation and gender identity for any workplace employee which was just enacted by him a little more than a month ago)

Even further explanation for the Short North’s more upscale success is the homes that align the side streets are more expensive, more Victorian Village rental units or apartment buildings are converted to Condos and running close to a million in some cases, for town homes (very nice ones though)

German Village was once much less upscale, now it is very expensive

The same thing is happening to Victorian Village and now the Short North and right under some people’s noses

Of course, this is all just further proof to how wealthy the short north is getting, a new condo tower is being built in the northern section of the short north with a roof top pool and units start above 300,000, and this is next to Skully's dinner where bums hang out now and just blocks from the Gateway, make no mistake, condo developments will push as close to campus as they can, High St. is in for much greater change than many here know or can understand.

David,

You said that to you you haven’t' viewed high st. as being up scale (other than German village area) that is maybe true in the past, but not these days.

I was implying that I didn't view it as upscale PREVIOUSLY. Believe me, I almost wreck every time I drive through there because I pay too much attention to the business inventory, street life, etc.

I like German Village but its extremely limited in what it has to offer.

The Short North serves as a great central location for the city and I think that whats happening and what will be happening is totally inevitable and I have no problem with it going north because I really don't beleive it will go any farther than the edge of OSU. I wasn't suggesting wealth isn't coming into the area, I was asserting that also density of wealth is also helping the area.

As for what David said, 75% of students are supported by their parents ("Univ. of Kentucky Registar Statistics"). That is a majority.

The people who worked their way through UofK when I was there was few.  That included even more blue collar people (UK wasnt so expensive back then).  That was the case with me, but I also had some help from my grandparents and a student loan, which took me a few years to pay off.

but there are many programs here at UK that are highly ranked -- and many that simply do not exist at the level at a community college or technical/vo-tech field (due to the complexities of the program, and that a community college typically do not offer 4 year degrees

That even held for 4 year state unis in KY, as UofK had programs that they did not. If one wanted to major in certain fields one had to go to UK.

t's just that these days even state universities are becoming increasingly unaffordable to prospective students from the poor and working class; not that this is the fault of the affluent, but in an effort to make them more selective, these schools are now catering to those with more bucks, creating an even greater class gap than ever.

That was already the case for UofK back in the 1970s when I was there. It was noticeable that a lot of the students had parents in management or the professions or buisness and had college degrees.  There was certainly a culture shock for me, to have most of my classmates from the bourgouis. 

Most of the people I went to high school with, if they went to college, went to UofL or someplace like Western, where they could live with their folks or with kin and commute in from the farm, saving on room and board. I'd say less than five from my high school graduating class went to UofK.  That would have been the case with me, too, if I hadn't majored in architecture.

If you live with your parents while you're in College, they are supporting you. So even if you get your tuition covered by loans and pay for misc. non-academic related stuff with your own money, its still made possible by your parents.

Ahem.. 

Go Gateway!! WoohoO!

yeah, we are digressing!  lol....seriously, i will be in Columbus this weekend and will make a point of visiting the place.  I just drove by it, but it looked interesting from the car.

If I may interject: It's not that anyone should be bitter about people having more money than others, be it a little or a lot. If parents want to pamper their children while in college that's fine, and that's pretty much expected if you're fortunate enough to attend an elite private school.  It's just that these days even state universities are becoming increasingly unaffordable to prospective students from the poor and working class; not that this is the fault of the affluent, but in an effort to make them more selective, these schools are now catering to those with more bucks, creating an even greater class gap than ever.

It's the middle class students that actually get hurt the most.  Most lower class students can get considerable scholarships from the school as well as financial aid in other forms.  The extremely rich can pay the tuition with no help.  That leaves the kids whose parents make too much to qualify for aid, but not enough to pay the whole way through school.

>As for the loan deal, is it the parents paying off the loan while the child is in school? Or the child after he graduates? It's a murky area.

You seem to have no familiarity with how the student loan program works.  From what I remember your parents have to fill out something called a FAFSA where they give their taxable income from the previous year, total assets, etc.  This is what determines which specific loan program you qualify for.  If the income level is low enough you are eligible for grants but above a certain level you merely get the loans where the federal government pays the interest while you're in school and for six months afterward. Assuming you filled out the paperwork on time, the loan check shows up at the Bursar's office the first week of school and then you take it to the Registrar or whoever and that pays your tuition for the semester.  You can also get loans above that to pay living expenses but from what I remember above about $8K they were unsubsidized.  I remember I was running low on cash the one year and somebody told me all you had to do was fill out this little blue index card at the financial aid office and you got a check for like $1,800 the next week.  So I went down to the financial aid office, filled out a little blue index card, and like the next Wednesday there was a check for something like $1,791 check in my mailbox!  That's a big problem with the loans -- they're so easy to get it's tough to abstain from getting the full amount you're eligible for.     

>No, I was referring to people in college. I make plenty of money that I can afford a decent apartment, and I am saving for a downpayment on a new condo.

Are you making $30/hr or something?  If so, certainly 75% of UK is not making that kind of money.     

>I have friends who are making money working at Best Buy, being a waiter, doing internships and co-ops, and so on. There are plenty of jobs, if you want to do some legwork yourself, they are

Yeah, I know all about them, considering I've made probably $100,000 at sub-$10/hr employment.  Subs?  Fried Chicken?  Fork Lifts?  Brooms and mops?  I know all about that stuff.  And to point out probably the biggest money-gobbler from my college career, I worked for two years anywhere between 20 and 40 hours a week for the campus newspaper for $50/week.  They set that salary back around 1982 when $50 was more like $100.  I still had a restaurant job on top of that, but obviously I could have made more money if I hadn't gone to meetings six days a week and hung out around the office doing work for a couple hours every day.  So obviously that contributed a lot to the amount of money I had to borrow, but you can't put a price on the experience, the real friends, and the professional connections that came out of it.     

Also my parents moved and I only lived with them one summer, so I was stuck paying for rent and food during the summers unlike a lot of people. 

>A part time job is all a student can handle, and in most cases, it would barely cover a car payment and insurance, let alone rent, cell phone, textbooks, food etc.

No kidding, that is what the loans are for.  And here we get back to the central issue -- in this facilities and redevelopment arms race between universities, the people getting the bill are the students who will be saddled with this loan debt for years after graduation. 

hah, what the hell? "And it's cheap, too!"

I am assuming that the previous theater did not have parking adjacent or near the building. Since this is in the Gateway complex, it has a nearby parking garage.

You heard it here first...there was a shooting July 4 at about 2am at the Gateway.  From what I gather someone was shot in the main staircase of the parking garage.  There were about 20 police cruisers there because they needed so many bodies to simply keep the public from walking into the parking garage from its various entry points as well as the center Gateway alleyway.  I briefly walked into the garage past a snoozing officer but was shooed away before I could take any decent photos.  There were a few people being arrested and a lot of witnesses ordered to just sit around, probably at least 10.   

You heard it here first...there was a shooting July 4 at about 2am at the Gateway.  From what I gather someone was shot in the main staircase of the parking garage.  There were about 20 police cruisers there because they needed so many bodies to simply keep the public from walking into the parking garage from its various entry points as well as the center Gateway alleyway.  I briefly walked into the garage past a snoozing officer but was shooed away before I could take any decent photos.  There were a few people being arrested and a lot of witnesses ordered to just sit around, probably at least 10.    

Well damnit...we might as well demolish the whole thing now.

This is from Channel 10's website, they have a video too but I couldn't get it to work.

COLUMBUS, Ohio Columbus police said a 22-year-old man was charged Monday with an early-morning fatal shooting inside a campus-area parking garage.

The shooting occurred at about 2:30 a.m. inside the South Campus Gateway parking garage on 11th Avenue near The Ohio State University, 10TV's Tino Ramos reported.

Columbus police said there was some type of fight and at least one shot was fired. According to police, 21-year-old Todd Luckett was hit in the forehead.

He was rushed to a local hospital in life-threatening condition, but died about an hour later, police said.

Following the shooting, police who were in the area surrounded the garage and combed the area for clues.

"First officers arrived at the scene, heard a gunshot," said Columbus police Sgt. P.J. Bahen.

Bahen said officers immediately tried to seal-off the parking garage.

"It makes it extremely difficult in the fact that it's an outdoor parking structure with plenty of ports of entry and exit," she said. "We have no idea how many people left the garage before it was locked down."

Hours after the shooting, police said Dante Jones was arrested and charged with the shooting, Ramos reported.

He is expected to be arraigned on Thursday.

Stay with 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.

###

I'm not going to post all of my photos up here but here are a few.  I was the only person taking photos aside from the Channel 10 guy and I was only there with my camera by complete chance.  I had actually just left a live music performance so my batteries were shot and couldn't really do what I wanted to do aside from having left the telephoto at home. 

gateway-2.jpg

gateway-1.jpg

gateway-6.jpg

>And? Big deal. Crime happens everywhere. Your doom and gloom is hilarious.

Okay, let's rewind.  The University tears down bars deemed "seedy" then builds new ones that attract hooligans and thinks there aren't going to be problems.  There are bars which *never* have fights, then there are bars which have fights all the time.  These Gateway bars attract hooligans, end of story.  I have a gig doing bar promotions in Columbus so I have some sense of what the different places are like, aside from having been to bars all over the country.   

Dude the place does not attract hooligans..it attracts young professionals, old professionals, college students, and occasional harmless weirdos. Its not a hangout for thugs. Old bars generally attract much more riff-raff. I don't think new construction ever promised to come with a force field keeping assasins out. I remember all the hype about Easton mall being "infultrated". Man it sure is unfortunate that people have to leave their subdivisions and be subjected to what goes on in the real world from time to time.

OMG new developments have crime! Have you been to the suburbs? They have crime too. And rich, fancy areas? They have crime too. Downtowns? Crime. Gated communities? Crime. It happens everywhere.

Here is a slide show from Channel 10:

http://www.10tv.com/?slideshow=sites/10tv/slideshows/ParkingGarageShooting070407/&slideshowTYPE=3

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A judge on Thursday set bond at $1 million for the accused gunman in a Fourth of July shooting that left one man dead.

Dante Jones, 22, stands accused of fatally shooting 21-year-old Todd Lockett (pictured, right) inside the South Campus Gateway parking garage early Wednesday morning, 10TV's Tino Ramos reported.

SLIDESHOW: Images From Scene

According to police, Lockett and Jones got into a fight near the garage and the scuffle moved inside the structure. A short time later, Lockett was shot once in the forehead. He was rushed to the hospital but died a few hours later.

Immediately after the shooting, police sealed-off the garage and questioned witnesses.

Several hours later, police announced that Jones was arrested and charged with Lockett's murder, Ramos reported.

During the arraignment it was revealed that Jones (pictured, left) admitted to being involved in the fight, but denied shooting Lockett, Ramos reported.

Teronne Lockett, the victim's brother, spoke with 10TV following the arraignment.

"It gives me relief that they've caught the man that killed my brother," he said. "But it still doesn't bring my brother back."

Jones is expected to appear in court next Friday for a preliminary hearing.

Stay with 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.

I went back down to the garage on the 4th to see how good of a job they did cleaning up the mess.  I couldn't see anything that was clearly leftover from the previous evening, but the stairway had the amonia (or whatever it is) smell from the cleaning solution they use.  I was there for maybe 30 seconds when a large man confronted me and asked what I was doing.  I think he was a police officer watching for people returning to the crime scene.  Anyway I talked to a few random people and nobody was aware that there had been a shooting there, the press coverage has been terrible.  Why?  Because of the holiday nobody had their A-people up and humming.  The Dispatch was a day late delivering any news on the event.  Only Channel 10 and myself were on the scene, nobody else. 

gateway-12.jpg

I forgot to point out that the light you see on the side of the garage is coming from the police helicopter.

gateway-6.jpg

Also I saw at least a half dozen officers with M-16's, I tried to get a picture of one of them walking back to his cruiser with one but he ran out of the frame and yelled at me.  I don't push it when somebody's got a serious stick in their hands.  But my point is that this was a big, big incident and because I was a little tardy getting there along me being just one person, the photos don't come close to showing what a big incident this was.