Ohio Intercity Rail (3C+D Line, etc)

kendall

Something else I've noticed that might help ridership of a high-speed link between really cities anywhere in the U.S. would be to have a strong rail system within the city in place. I know when I was in Germany you could get to the bigger suburbs via the Hauptbahnhof either by local, commuter rail type trains or smaller EMU S-bahn trains. Then you can feed the main train station with traffic and for the passenger it couldn't be any easier than to just switch trains. I remember stuff like this being in place in some of the smaller cities too. It's certainly going to take a lot of work to get a system like that put in but the local connections are something that jet transportation can't easily supply.

Couldn't the profits of such a system pooled with other cities help pay for the advancement of HSR? I'd imagine it'd take some money to set up the commuter system, but many areas already have freight lines that could carry the low-speed traffic.

^Very much needed! But we can kill two birds with one stone. See my message earlier in this string at:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2783.msg48694#msg48694

KJP

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

It wasn't widely publicized, but there was a webcast today of the U.S. House Railroad Sub-Committtee hearing on Hr-1630 and HR 1631, and chaired by Ohio Cong. Steve LaTourette (a co-sponsor of both bills.  Testimony was very supportive of both passenger rail and of investing more federal dollars in our overall rail infrastructure.

FYI....  HR 1630 is a first-ever multi-year funding and reform package for Amtrak, which LaTourette says will finally allow Amtrak to develop and properly run a national passenger rail system.

HR 1631 is a bill that would establish a long-term federal funding mechanism (again for the first time) for regional rail projects such as the Ohio HUb.  It sets up the same kind of 80%-20% federal/state funding split that exists for highway and aviation projects.  This goes a long way toward balancing our transportation system.

That said, I would still feel much better if there was an effort by Congress to establish an overall national transportation policy, which might finally put an end to not only a grossly unbalanced transportation system that leaves us highly dependent on oil and gasoline, but perhaps eliminate the kind of "pork barrell" transportation projects like the "bridge to nowhere"  in Ketchikan, Alaska.

I agree, and today I heard on CNN that some yahoos in Congress are looking to balance the federal budget on the backs of discretionary programs like Amtrak. Uh, OK....

> we're spending $270 billion in Iraq (at least in part because of our addiction to oil);

> our airlines are bleeding money and had to be bailed out after Sept. 11 and may require their pension funds to be bailed out by the feds (at least in part because airlines depend on fuel-inefficient short-haul flights as sources of passenger traffic);

> many died in New Orleans because they had no way to get out of town;

> oh, and by the way, the only alternative for millions of motorists to avoid paying the rising costs of fuel is to not travel at all, thereby hurting the economy and reducing tax collections.....

So here's a great idea: let's cut funding for a fuel-efficient, intercity mode of public transportation that has widespread public support and, if funding were INCREASED, can become part of the solution to the above problems that are causing the federal budget deficit to swell and the economy to begin sputtering.

Some of these pig fuckers in Congress couldn't spell IQ if you spotted them the I and the Q!

KJP

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Spoke to a U.S. Senate staffer today involved in the effort to pass SB-1516, the Passenger Rail Investment & Improvement Act, which was introduced by Sen. Trent Lott and is rapidly gaining co-sponsors, including Sen. Mike DeWine.  They are wanting to enlist Sen. Voinovich's support as a co-sponsor.  If you have any contact with Sen. Voinovich, let his staffers know that you want him to step up as a co-sponsor.  But the key to getting him to support it is to push this bill on the basis of what it can do for economic development and jobs, as Sen. V is not going to support this on the basis of people wanting to ride trains.

Investment in both passenger and freight is well proven to have a significant impact on economic development, especially around station stops and the surrounding neighhborhoods.  But having fast, efficient passenger rail also enhances a city's ability to attract new business and jobs.  Investments in freight rail infrastructure also bring in greater devlopment and jobs, either through expansion of existing businesses or attracting new ones. 

Momentum is building in Congress for transportation alternatives that save gasoline, reduce oil consumption and reduce traffic congestion, but it's the angle of jobs and economic development that will sell the idea best.  Please call or e-mail Senator Voinovich's office this coming week and let your feeling be known.  You can get in touch through the U.S. Senate website.

(From a news release by the Ohio Rail Development Commisssion) 

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/ohiorail/

(Columbus) – The state-owned railroad line known as “The Panhandle Line” will remain so for the foreseeable future.  In an 8 to 0 vote, with one member absent, ORDC Commissioners decided to postpone the proposed sale of the rail line, which has been owned by the State of Ohio since 1992.  It was purchased at the urging of local communities and businesses in order to save the rail line from what amounted to a piecemeal abandonment by then-owner Conrail. The line is now operated under a lease agreement with the Coshocton-based Ohio Central Railroad.

Several commissioners expressed concern that the timing of a sale may not be good at a time when funding for rail infrastructure at the federal level is unresolved.  Commissioner Tom McOwen cited the attention now being drawn to the nation’s need for better railroads in the wake of the recent Gulf hurricanes and big increases in oil and gasoline prices.  “This has drawn attention to the value of our rail infrastructure and the fuel efficiency of moving more freight and people by rail like no other time in our history. We have to be careful how we go about doing anything that has to do with our rail infrastructure.”

“This subject has pre-occupied the Commission and its staff for some time”, said Commission Chairman James Betts, who asked for and received the motion to “postpone indefinitely” the proposal to sell the rail line.  In doing so, Betts said this decision does not eliminate the future possibility of selling the line and recognized that staff time in preparing a sale proposal has not been wasted.

“We now know better the value of what we have in the Panhandle Line should this Commission decide at some future point to reconsider a sale,” said ORDC Executive Director Jim Seney. 

“The hard work of the ORDC staff will still be useful if that day comes.”  Seney pointed out that the line has not only shown a good return in terms of growth of business and freight traffic, but holds significant value for the future as a right of way as well for fiber-optics and broadband Internet services.  ORDC is also interested in the line for possible future passenger rail service that could help create a Pittsburgh-Columbus-Lima-Fort Wayne-Chicago route under its Ohio Hub regional rail plan.

I'm surprised and disappointed. I saw this as an opportunity to use sale proceeds to help preserve and eventually revitalize endangered rights of way elsewhere in the state. Once revitalized, they too could be sold like the Panhandle at higher values to knock down ever-larger barriers to the Ohio Hub. But that's just my thought....

KJP

I had hopes too.  But from what I can tell, the decision not to sell was in part due to opposition from shipping interests along the line, mainly in the Newark area.  Their fear was that turning the system over to the Ohio Central Railroad would create a monopoly on service and raise rates.  But that's a pretty weak argument, since the proposed sale would have allowed entry onto the line by other railroads with unit trains or through trains, and I would doubt the Ohio central would raise rates and force business on to trucks.

The good news is that either way, the line remains open for passenger service at some point.

Stand by for some good news.  I have it on good authority that one of the major railroads has officially thrown it's support behind the Ohio Hub Plan and a second railroad is about to.  This is important, because both railroads plan to make this part of their lobbying efforts in Washington, which will help in getting legislation moved forward on establishing a federal funding program for state-sponsored regional rail plans.  What they like about the Ohio Hub Plan in particular is that the stand to benefit, because infrastructure improvements that would be made to acommodate passenger rail would also enable greater capacity for the railroads to move freight and reduce or eliminate both key rail bottlenecks and interference between passsnger & freight traffic.

Let me guess. The first railroad is CSX and the second, which will announce soon, is NS. Correct? Actually, CSX's letter didn't sound like a ringing endorsement. But any expression of support from CSX is certainly welcome.

I think you will like the next issue of the OARP/All Aboard Ohio newsletter. The centerspread is about the worsening rail freight traffic congestion problem, why it is happening, why the freight railroads can't deal with it on their own, how it is affecting the economy, and what can/should be done about it.

KJP

I thought you guys might want to read a local perspective.  This is an editorial from the 10/2/05 Newark Advocate:

State on track with Panhandle inaction

For now, the state will not sell the Panhandle Rail Line. That's good news, certainly, but who knows how long that good news will last?

Thursday, the Ohio Rail Development Commission voted unanimously to postpone indefinitely any decision to sell the state-owned rail line, which runs from Columbus through Licking County to Mingo Junction. Commission Chairman James Betts said the inaction "could mean 100 days. That could mean 100 years."

Read more at:

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051002/OPINION01/510020320/1014/NEWS01

The most important ong-term plus of the state continuing to own the Panhandle is that it preserves the right to run passenger trains between Columbus and Pittsburgh.  That assumes that the connection can be restored between Mingo Junction on the Ohio River and downtown Pittsburgh.  The Ohio Rail Development Commission is currently studying a Pittsburgh-Columbus-Lima-Fort Wayne-Chicago route as part of its Ohio Hub regional rail plan.

Of course the potential for passenger rail on the Panhandle would have been preserved regardless of whether the line was sold or not, as that provision was addressed by ORDC selling only the tracks and fixtures along the rail line and retaining ownership of the land.l

I dunno. I'm just worried about a half-dozen or so rights of way around the state that are threatened, and should be preserved for the Ohio Hub. Most of the rights of way are in Northeast Ohio, and of those, a good percentage are in the Youngstown area. Selling the Panhandle would have given the ORDC some resources to help preserve these rights of way:

> Cleveland East 26th Street Yard

> Ravenna Connection --- pair of 1-mile track connections NS/CSX

> Freedom Secondary --- Ravenna - Leavittsburg - Warren - Girard - Youngstown

> Randall Secondary --- Cleveland - Aurora - Garrettsville - Leavittsburg

> Lake Erie & Eastern --- Girard - Youngstown - Struthers

> Pittsburgh & Lake Erie --- Youngstown - Struthers - New Castle

A few others...

> Columbus Grandview Yard

> NS (former PRR/Conrail) --- Columbus - Hilliard

> Camp Chase Industrial --- Columbus - Camp Chase - London - Springfield

> Erie RR/Conrail/NS 2nd track --- Springfield - Fairborn - Dayton

> NS mixed sections --- Sharonville, Winton Place (Cincinnati area)

Sounds like ORDC ought to engage a consultant for a reasonable rate to do an inventory of these rights of way, including existing conditions, estimated property values, threats and opportunties. I know a new nonprofit consulting entity....NEOtrans something...

KJP

I read this earlier today and Morris is right on target.  Yet we have a President who wants to cut passenger trains and underfunds mass transit: the two modes that can move the greatest amount of people in mass. The Administration's answer: drive less and drive slower.  Well they sure did that trying to exit Houston, Galveston, New Orleans and Biloxi.

Despite this, legislation is moving through both Houses of Congress that would help remedy the very imbalance Morris rightly points out in our transportation system. If only we can get it passed with a veto-proof and bipartisan majority.

I am hearing from my sources today that SB-1516 (The Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act), which was introduced by Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss) and co-sponsored by Sen. Mike DeWine (R-OH) is expected to come up for a floor vote this Fall.  It could be late Fall, but the fact this bill apprently has some stronger than expected legs and is making progress is a significant development.  But we need to get Sen. Voinovich on board as a co-sponsor.  This type of legislation can have a huge impact on Ohio, not only in terms of greater mobility, but also in terms of creating more economic development and jobs in Ohio.

How about companion legislation in the House? Feel free to e-mail me instead, if you prefer.

KJP

Not a peep about Campbell's endorsement of HSR. I've learned the PD doesn't care much for her. I understand that this article was written a long time ago, and that James Ewinger has taken over the transportation beat from Rich Exner. KJP

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1128850725291450.xml&coll=2

Backers of high-speed rail growing more optimistic

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Rich Exner

Plain Dealer Reporter

The map seems logical. And thought of renewing an old form of travel with a modern twist is intriguing.

Hop on a train in Cleveland and shoot off to places like Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh or Toronto at 110 mph. You'd be in Columbus, for example, in one hour and 38 minutes. It would take around four hours to get to Chicago.

The idea, in various forms, has lingered for decades. But now, in part because of interest from Congress and isolated successes of similar routes across the country, train advocates are singing an optimistic tune for a high-speed rail system that could make Cleveland a hub.

Yeah... not a bad story, but it could have been stronger.  Made no mention either of the ORDC report that showed very strong public support for the Ohio Hub plan. 

Exner is moving on to an editor's job at the P-D.  Spoke to him about it a couple of weeks ago, and it's a good move for him.  Exinger will be the new transportation guy at the P-D.

Here's an interesting perspective on that $3.5-billion dollar cost of the Ohio Hub:  the entire 20-year transportation improvement plan for Lucas and Wood counties in Ohio is .... (wait for it).... $3.5-billion dollars. Building a statewide/regional passenger rail system that helps us avoid driving, reduce oil consumption, clean our air and build a system that will spur economic development and jobs seems like a good buy.

If this was for highways, we wouldn't even be debating the issue.  We pour all of our gasoline tax dollars (by state law) into highways, but no such dedicated funding source exists for rail or mass transit.  What's wrong with that picture?

My experience with the Cascade Line in the Northwest was just fantastic.  I took the line up and down about 6 times during the year that I lived there and I would recommend it very highly!  The prices varied, depending on what kind of deals you could finagle, but I was able to get student tickets for around $25 each way from Portland to Seattle.  That's pretty similar to the Cleveland to Columbus route and took about 20-30 minutes longer by rail.  The difference was that I could read, sleep or gaze out the window at the beautiful scenery and wake up to find myself right in the heart of Dowtown Portland or Seattle. 

Another major component to this expansion was that they rehabbed (and are still) every station along that route, making them more comfortable, convenient and usable.  The trains were the most attractive and clean of any I've been on in the system (with the exception of the more expensive Acela Express from NYC to Philly) and I felt like a paying customer should. (a stark contrast to my experiences on Greyhound!)

One last note. I am a proud carrier of an Amtrak credit card, so all of my spending adds up to rewards on rail transit or with partner airlines.  Every time I go out to Portand or Seattle now, I can trade in 1,000 points and get a one-way ticket on the line.  And getting 1,000 points is easy as pie!

I'm currently scanning the document and find that it is primarily positive at this point, which is not surprising, considering that it was prepared for the ORDC.  The one recurring roadblock is the issue of funding...no surprise there.  Here's a telling paragraph from page 10:

"Understandably, project financing was recognized as the primary challenge to project

implementation. Everyone acknowledged that project financing was primarily a federal

issue, and agreed that the state of Ohio would not likely develop this project without a

federal partner. While it was recognized that there is a need to secure a federal funding

program, many expressed concern whether this would happen in the near-term. Many

were eager to see a change in national transportation policy that would encourage more

investment in freight and passenger railroad improvement projects. (NOTE: There is now

a trio of bills in Congress that would answer this concern. Cong. Steve LaTourette (R-OH)

has introduced HR-1630 and HR-1631, which address long-term funding and reform of

Amtrak (1630) and establish a federal rail infrastructure development fund (1631). In the

Senate, Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss) has introduced S-1516, which is similar in its aims to the

LaTourette legislation. Both of these legislative efforts would be favorable for the

development of the Ohio Hub System.)"

Also valuable to each of us locally are the technical regional responses, found in pages 11-17 and the public feedback from each region in the ensuing pages.

The primary technical recommendations from my region (Northeast Ohio) are listed as

>Integrate and coordinate with Lakefront plans by the City of Clevleand, proposed Convention Center, new ferry service, Dead Man's Curve/Innerbelt reconstruction, and a new multi-modal station to be built by the GCRTA

>Provide more information on the footprint needed for the East 26th Street Rail Yard, where re-routing the Innerbelt is proposed to be located

>Freight operations must recognize priority of pedestrians and citizens in the lakefront area

Public feedback from NEO:

Forty-eight people attended the business and community leaders meeting held in

Cleveland on a May afternoon, followed by an evening session attended by 34

members of the public. Rich Enty from the Greater Cleveland RTA questioned where

the operating funds would come from, could the Ohio Hub be used to help local transit

agencies leverage more federal funds, and could certain Ohio Hub stations be jointly

developed with local federal dollars? ORDC responded that operating funds would

eventually be recouped through passenger fares, and that ORDC did, indeed, see

opportunities for the Ohio Hub system to partner with local transit agencies to jointdevelop

train/bus stations and leverage more federal funds in the process. One

participant said the Ohio Hub should be marketed to business travelers, while another

said the ticket price appears too high and should be lowered to attract more riders. It

was suggested that a ticket like the EuroPass be developed for use by Ohio riders as

they connect between various modes of transportation. Several urged ORDC to be

very aggressive in promoting the Ohio Hub and the public meetings where people can

help shape the plans. One attendee suggested selling air rights above train stations to

raise more money. One woman said that, “as a blind person, transportation is very

difficult. This rail project would be a great boon for people like me who cannot or

choose not to drive.”

You are absolutely right, MTS.  It always amazes me how many people from the Midwest are absolutely astounded at how good public transportation can be.  I've encountered all kinds of people who really like taking the commuter train from BWI airport into DC, as opposed to having a rent a car or spending $50 on a cab.  One instance I distinctly recall, I was on a Metro train approaching the National Airport station, which is right outside the terminal building.  A woman commented to her family, "Look how easy these people have it getting to the airport.  I wish we had a train going to the airport back in Cincinnati!"

I think the desire for good rail service is beyond pent-up in Ohio.  Most people just don't know how to go about getting it.

Sold!  Where do I sign up?

Go to www.allaboardohio.com

You can join via the site, register to vote, access Ohio Hub planning documents ... save the whales, cure cancer...

KJP

Just a quick FYI..... I am told the Ohio Rail Development Commission will go before the State Controlling Board at 1:30 pm on Monday (the 17th) at the Statehouse to ask for permission to spend existing transportation funds on a detailed economic impact study of the Ohio Hub Plan.  Why this is important is that it will help in gathering information on who and what segments of Ohio will potentially benefit from the construction and operation of the Ohio Hub Regional Rail System.  That information will in turn provide evidence to support proceeding with the plan into the Environmental Impact Study, which determines whether or not the project can become an official federal transportation project.

This is a big step toward getting passenger trains running in Ohio.

Is there any thing that constituents can do to help at this time? Are there any legislators who need some last-minute calls, faxes, e-mails of encouragement?

KJP

Rep. Calvert of Medina is a very key voice on the Controlling Board.... not very hip at all to passenger rail, but that's only because he's operating under the assumption that this is just another in a series of studies.  he could not be more wrong.  No study has gone this far, nor has one ever been this far-reaching in its scope.  Another state rep. whose vote is important is Spada.

The word I'm hearing is that the request for funding will be passed, but you can never take anything for granted, so phone calls, e-mails and faxes are still worthwhile.

Thanks. Here's some information to help Ohioans communicate with these two legislators....

Contact info for Rep. Calvert:

http://www.house.state.oh.us/jsps/MemberDetails.jsp?DISTRICT=69

Contact info for Rep. Spada:

http://www.senate.state.oh.us/senators/bios/sd_24.html

Give Ohio rail development study the green light

Cleveland Plain Dealer

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Dominic J. Liberatore

Columbus

Ohio has an opportunity to redevelop a transporta tion system that can help increase economic development and create more and better jobs. The Ohio Rail Development Commission's Ohio Hub Plan is an ambitious and soundly based statewide and regional passenger and freight rail plan. Under the plan, Cleveland would serve as the physical "hub" of a system of up to 48 fast, frequent passenger trains a day over four rail corridors across Ohio and our neighboring states, making Northeast Ohio a more accessible and attractive place to do business.

But advancing the Ohio Hub Plan rests on the votes of two Northeast Ohio legislators. On Monday, members of the Ohio Controlling Board will vote on whether to fund an Ohio Rail Development Commission request for a detailed economic impact study of the Ohio Hub Plan. Preliminary numbers indicate the plan would create more than 6,000 construction jobs, 1,500 railroad jobs and another 6,000 permanent jobs tied to new economic development that would be spurred by more and better passenger rail and expanded rail capacity for moving freight. Given the loss of jobs in Ohio, the hub plan is well worth pursuing.

State Sen. Bob Spada and state Rep. Charles Calvert are two of the six legislators on the Controlling Board who will decide the future of passenger rail transportation for the region. Call on them to approve this economic impact study. There's no question that we need additional job development in Ohio.

Dominic J. Liberatore

Liberatore is executive director of All Aboard Ohio.

Some very good news out of Columbus this afternoon (10/17): 

The State Controlling Board unanimously approved a request from the Ohio Rail Development Commisssion to fund a detailed, one year economic impact study(EIS).  In reading the details of the Hub Plan, the preliminary economic impact numbers are very good.... an estimated 6,000 new jobs just to build it, another 6,100 long-term jobs created by economic development and 1,800 railroad jobs.

But the more detailed EIS should refine and show more specifically what Ohio businesses, communities and even households stand to benefit... and by how much.  Approval and completion of this study also gives ORDC the clout to pursue the Environmental Impact Study, which (when completed) will lock the Ohio Hub Plan in as an official federal transportation project.

Now... if we can just get Congress to move forward on creating a federal railroad funding and development program. 

Hopefully, the results of the economic impact study will encourage Ohio's Congressional Delegation to literally get on board.

Congrats on the victory.

KJP

• 2 weeks later...

Fall Dinner Benefit

Who: anybody in the public interested in supporting the development of high speed passenger rail service within Ohio and the region.

Where: Black River Landing Transportation Center

421 Black River Landing,

Lorain, Ohio.

When: Saturday November 5, 2005- 5:00 PM till…….

How Much: $ 40.00 per person, $70.00 per couple

Featured Speaker: Congresswoman Marci Kaptur, Democrat of Toledo

We will have live music from UFIK “Oberlin’s 3rd best garage band”, and a raffle to win 2 1st class round trip tickets on Amtrak's "Capitol Limited" from any Northern Ohio stop to Washington DC! The raffle ticket price is $25.00

Dinner will be catered by the Oberlin Inn Garden Restaurant, recipient of the Gourmet Diners Club of America’s Silver Spoon Award for dining excellence

To register, go to http://www.allaboardohio.com/

The U.S. Senate will vote today on Senate Bill 1516... the Passenger Rail Investment & Improvement Act.  This is a bill that (if enacted) would create the federal funding program that the Ohio Hub would draw upon for funding.  Senatoir Mike DeWine is already a co-sponsor of the bill.  We need people to contact Senator Voinovich's office in Washington and ask him to support the bill.  It is potentially a huge boost not only for the mobility of Ohioans, but for jobs and economic development.

Voinovich can be contacted through his website: http://voinovich.senate.gov/

GO TO >> http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/Lott_Lautenberg/d3kexk425xnk7e?

Please ask your U.S. Senators to support Amtrak RIGHT NOW.  This afternoon, Senators Trent Lott (R-MS) and Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) will be offering an amendment on the Senate floor to include a bipartisan reathorization of Amtrak in the budget reconciliation bill.  If passed, this measure could end 30 years of partisan bickering over Amtrak's purpose and allow the railroad and states to move forward with high-speed rail and other improvements.

This press release is from Senator Lott's office:

http://lott.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=232&Month=11&Year=2005

-- --------

November 3rd, 2005

Phone: 202-224-6253

11/3/05 SENATOR LOTT'S AMTRAK REFORM BILL ADOPTED BY SENATE

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Calling it one last chance for the Senate to be

heard on whether it wants a national passenger rail system, Senator

Trent Lott of Mississippi today asked the Senate to adopt as an

amendment to the budget reconciliation bill, the Amtrak reform bill he

introduced in July. The amendment was adopted by a vote of 93-6.

"I know it is highly unusual to add an authorization bill to

reconciliation, but time is running out," said Lott, the chairman of

the Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Subcommittee. "Despite

the Commerce Committee’s having reported out this bill in July, we have

been unable to schedule it for the full Senate. Because the

Administration has indicated it will not support any funding for Amtrak

this fiscal year unless Congress enacts Amtrak reforms, it is

imperative for the Congress to make its voice heard on Amtrak. Time is

running out.

"Do we help support highways? Do we help the airlines? If we want a

complete system of infrastructure and transportation, America needs to

include rail as well. Do we want Amtrak to wither on the vine?"

The Amtrak reauthorization bill centers around three themes: reform and

accountability, cost cutting, and creating funding options for the

states.

"The amendment improves how Amtrak works and ensures that the

taxpayers’ money is used more effectively," Senator Lott said. "It cuts

the Amtrak operating subsidy by 40 percent and creates a new rail

capital grant program that states can use to start new inter-city

passenger rail service. It requires Amtrak to develop much better

financial systems and be held accountable for its use of federal

funding."

###

Lott's bill carries the same 80%/20% federal/state funding match as exists for highways.  The only drawback is that the total intial  funding is rather low.  That's not necessarily bad news, as more funding can be added through later amendments.  The important thing is that this bill not only passed, but by a huge margin.

This is great news for the Ohio Hub Plan.  Now we need to get Ohio's House delegation on board.  I'm sure Cong. LaTourette will be leading the charge on that effort.

It passed, 93-6. See the transportation section of this forum, under Ohio Hub/ORDC -- which is where this discussion ought to be continued.

It's essential this bill passes, as it will provide more capital funding to Amtrak to rebuild and expand, restructure its debt and reduce its operating subsidy. Please take a minute to contact your Congressional representative right now and ask that they support Amtrak reform.

If you aren't sure who your Congressperson is, go to http://www.house.gov/ and use their search function (all you need to know is your five-digit zip code). Please e-mail or call your rep (contact info is also available on that Web site), as regular mail will take too long.

All you need to do is tell your rep "Please support the inclusion of the Amtrak reform language in the budget reconciliation bill." Then give a person reason why. Examples: "I would like to travel by train more often; We need more transportation choices to promote economic development; I'm concerned about energy supplies and believe we need to invest in railroads; I'm sick of driving everywhere; etc. etc."

Don't worry about writing the perfect e-mail! It's more important to speak your mind, as members of Congress use a sort of "scorecard" to track how their constituents feel about a particular issue.

From the Congressional Quarterly daily news briefs

CQ TODAY - BUDGET: AMTRAK

Nov. 3, 2005 - 8:41 p.m.

Amtrak Supporters Add Reauthorization to Budget Measure to Avoid

Possible Veto

By Kathryn A. Wolfe, CQ Staff

The Senate on Thursday added to its deficit-reduction package provisions

that would fund and restructure Amtrak, the nation's passenger rail

service.

The reauthorization language, sponsored by Trent Lott, R-Miss., was

added as an amendment to the budget package (S 1932

<javascript:simplePopup('displaybillcard.do?billNumber=S1932&congress=10

9','billCard',680,430);> ) after the Senate waived its budget rules on a

93-6 vote. Amtrak proponents said they had to add the language to the

budget package because of a veto threat on another bill.

The White House has threatened to veto the fiscal 2006

Transportation-Treasury-Housing bill (HR 3058

<javascript:simplePopup('displaybillcard.do?billNumber=HR3058&congress=1

09','billCard',680,430);> ) if lawmakers insist on keeping the bill's

$1.45 billion in funds for Amtrak without overhauling the system.

"Because the administration has indicated it will not support any

funding for Amtrak this fiscal year unless Congress enacts Amtrak

reforms, it is imperative for the Congress to make its voice heard on

Amtrak," Lott said.

The Senate action came on the heels of a Government Accountability

Office report released Thursday suggesting that Amtrak's lack of a

"meaningful strategic plan" and measurable corporate goals has hampered

its effectiveness.

Lott's $12 billion bipartisan bill would reauthorize Amtrak through

Of that sum, about $3.3 billion would go toward operating the system -

which Lott said would be a cut of about 40 percent from Amtrak's current

yearly operating subsidy. Another $6.3 billion would go toward grants to

Amtrak and interested states for capital improvements. The measure also

would authorize $1.6 billion to pay back Amtrak's high-interest debt.

In a concession to the White House, the measure would allow states to

petition Amtrak to let them or another entity take over money-losing

long-distance routes. It also would allow freight rail companies to bid

on Amtrak routes that use freight lines' tracks.

The measure would, for the first time, give the Surface Transportation

Board the authority to levy penalties against freight railroads for not

giving Amtrak trains priority on its tracks - a situation that often

creates passenger train delays.

The Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee approved

Lott's reauthorization bill (S 1516

<javascript:simplePopup('displaybillcard.do?billNumber=S1516&congress=10

9','billCard',680,430);> ) on July 28. That measure originally included

a plan for the passenger rail service to use $13 billion in bonds. But

the language added to the budget bill does not include any suggestions

on bonding. A Senate Democratic aide said this was because the Senate

Finance Committee would have had to approve the actual mechanism for

issuing the bonds, which the panel has not yet done.

It is unclear whether the Amtrak language in the budget bill will

mollify the administration. Transportation Secretary Norman Y. Mineta

has said Lott's reauthorization bill, while "thoughtful," does not go

far enough to solve Amtrak's problems. However, he has not said whether

Lott's plan would be enough to silence calls for a veto.

Source: CQ Today

Round-the-clock coverage of news from Capitol Hill.

© 2005 Congressional Quarterly Inc. All Rights Reserved.

[The Senate action came on the heels of a Government Accountability

Office report released Thursday suggesting that Amtrak's lack of a

"meaningful strategic plan" and measurable corporate goals has hampered

its effectiveness.

If the GAO actually opened their eyes, they might have noticed this:

http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/strategic06.pdf (3.3MB)

But I guess any strategic plan that needs the federal government to spend anything for domestic stuff other than bullets, bombs and billionaire bailouts is not a "meaningful strategic plan." Now, if the states or private enterprise pay for choo choos and not the feds, that's probably worth it to them.

From the 11/4/05 Elyria Chronicle Telegram:

Depot gets on track for renovations

Asbestos removal first step in process

Bette Pearce

The Chronicle-Telegram

ELYRIA — Another step in a five-year journey to renovate the old, dilapidated New York Center depot at East Avenue and Depot Street will be taken in about 45 days when asbestos removal work begins on the $6-million project.

http://www.chroniclet.com/2005_Archive/11-04-05/Daily%20Pages/Local/Html/local1.html

From the 11/5/05 Elyria Chronicle Telegram:

Depot tour group blasts to the past

Bette Pearce

The Chronicle-Telegram

ELYRIA — As County Administrator Jim Cordes led a tour group through a tunnel in the basement of the old New York Central train depot Friday, a distant rumble grew louder.

http://www.chroniclet.com/2005_Archive/11-05-05/Daily%20Pages/Local/Html/local2.html

• 2 weeks later...

NEWS                                          

OHIO RAIL

DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION

50 W. Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215

(614) 644-0306 telephone or fax (614) 728-4520

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/ohiorail/

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                              Contact: Stu Nicholson

Date: November 18, 2005                                                                            (614) 644-0513 

Ohio Hub Plan Advancing

Tandem Studies Examine Economic Impact & Additional Passenger Rail Routes

(Columbus) --- The light at the end of the tunnel just might be a train.  In fact, it could very well be one many Ohioans haven’t seen or been able to ride for a long time: a passenger train.

That possibility will be two big steps closer to reality as two studies get underway this week that could greatly advance the Ohio Rail Development Commission’s Ohio Hub Plan to redevelop and expand passenger rail and increased capacity for freight rail.

“We can build this system”, says ORDC Executive Director Jim Seney, as he announced the kickoff of the tandem studies that will:

·        Conduct a detailed analysis of the potential statewide economic impact of the Ohio Hub Plan

·        Determine the feasibility of adding two new routes to the master plan: a Pittsburgh-Columbus-Chicago route (via Lima and Fort Wayne or Indianapolis) and a Columbus-Toledo-Detroit Route

“The results of these two studies can move the Ohio Hub Plan into its next and most important stage: the environmental impact study”, says Seney.  “Once we complete that phase, the Ohio Hub can become an official transportation project in the eyes of the federal government and we can start building this system and running the kind of fast, frequent passenger trains and faster, more timely freight rail service that will boost Ohio’s economy and create new and better jobs.”

Initial meetings have already been held on both studies to set up the framework for field work, information gathering and how to analyze what the study teams discover.  It is thought both studies should be complete within the next 8 to 12 months, but some preliminary information may be available by early next year.

The Detailed Economic Impact Study (DEIS) is being conducted by two teams of economic experts who will examine what were positive preliminary numbers in the initial Ohio Hub Report.  Those numbers include an estimated economic impact of:

·        6,000-plus construction jobs

·        1,500 permanent railroad jobs

·        6,000-plus permanent jobs tied to development around rail stations and the general communities served by the Ohio Hub

·        $1-billion dollar increase in property values

·        Annual tax revenue increased by $28-million

The DEIS will attempt to quantify and refine these numbers down to the local level to see which communities and segments of Ohio’s economy will benefit and by how much.

The additional route study will take a detailed look at the infrastructure (rails, bridges, right of way, station facilities, etc) along the projected routes.  The aims will be to determine, among other things:

·        Condition of rights-of-way (both existing and abandoned), bridges, signal systems, tracks

·        Ridership projections from each community along the routes

·        Existing or potential connections with other modes: airports, mass transit, bikeways, hotels and local business districts

·        What needs to be done to bring route conditions up to grade to handle higher speed trains and greater volume

“The goal is to bring these additional routes up to the same level of feasibility as the rest of the route system outlined in the Ohio Hub Report”, says Executive Director Seney. “In doing so, when federal funding becomes available to match with state dollars, we can proceed with building the entire system and not just phasing in one rail line at a time.”

“And with the possibility of legislation now in Congress that would establish a first-ever federal rail infrastructure funding program”, says Seney, “it’s all the more important now that Ohio works to have a funding-ready rail plan in place so we can get more people, freight and Ohio’s economy moving forward.”

(The Ohio Rail Development Commission is an independent agency operating within the Ohio Department of Transportation.  ORDC is responsible for economic development through the improvement and expansion of passenger and freight rail service, railroad grade crossing safety and rail travel & tourism issues. For more information about what ORDC does for Ohio, visit our website at http://www.dot.state.oh.us/ohiorail/ )

Great news! Hell, I'm surprised you didn't make all the text bold!

• 3 weeks later...

Officials, residents eager for high-speed rail

By JIM SABIN

419-993-2091

12/04/2005

[email protected]

LIMA — Martie MacDonell remembers the first time she came to Lima.

MacDonell, a Youngstown native, rode in on the Pennsylvania train. Her future brother-in-law, John MacDonell, jokingly arranged for a red carpet to be rolled out for her.

“I received quite a welcome,” she said. “I think people remember riding that train to important events in their lives, and for exciting trips and vacations, and all of those kinds of things.”

Lima’s administration has been rolling out its own red carpet for years, but not for any specific person. Instead, the effort to bring a high-speed rail line through the city finally seems to be making some headway.

Read more at:   

http://www.limaohio.com/story.php?IDnum=20179

Love those folks in Lima!