Sign in to follow this  
Guest grasscat

Canton-Massillon: Random Development and News

Stark County devising way to keep score of development progress

By Alison Matas

GateHouse Media Ohio

Posted Apr 9, 2018 at 7:27 PM

The document is a follow-up to “Strengthening Stark,” a report released last summer that determined the county is becoming older, poorer and less populated.

The economic plan being designed to help Stark County grow its population will come with a scorecard.

Nonprofit JumpStart Inc. and affiliated Innovation Economy Partners — a Cleveland-based consulting firm that provides economic impact support to communities — are developing a measurable economic development plan for Stark County. Work began last year with data collection. More than 20 people in the county who have jobs devoted to economic development meet regularly to help with recommendations.

http://www.cantonrep.com/special/20180409/stark-county-devising-way-to-keep-score-of-development-progress

Visit Canton to move into Onesto

By Robert Wang

Posted Jun 7, 2018 at 7:23 PM

For the first time in its history, the Stark County Convention & Visitors’ Bureau will be in its own office space.

CANTON After 38 years, Stark County’s tourism bureau is leaving the nest.

But it’s only going a short walk away.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20180607/visit-canton-to-move-into-onesto

Was at the stadium last night for the concert with my family. There is absolutely nothing going on there constructionwise. The stadium is still incomplete, which is just baffling.

I'm having trouble grasping this Market Square project.  Are the city leaders so out of touch that they actually believe spending $5.5m on a block in the middle of downtown is going "reintroduce the city to the region"?  It's not going to do jack. Canton's reputation doesn't hinge on one downtown parcel, but it's aging population, decaying inner ring, lack of quality education, high violent crime rate, and low property values. This project doesn't do anything but allow the leaders to say they did something, even if it's a big waste of money.

Canton officials: Market Square will ‘reintroduce Canton to the outside region’

By Kelly Byer

Posted Jul 30, 2018 at 9:37 PM

Updated Jul 30, 2018 at 11:06 PM

CANTON City Council authorized officials to enter any contracts needed to complete Market Square by the NFL’s centennial in September 2020.

Monday’s vote put a years-long process into action. Plans for the grassy lot began in earnest with a 2013 downtown development plan. That plan was incorporated into the city’s comprehensive plan, which recommended ways Canton should focus its resources.

City leaders and community members have seen variations of conceptual designs the past several years, and City Council approved the one proposed in July 2016 by the Columbus-based MKSK firm.

“We waited because we didn’t have have funding to do it,” Mayor Thomas Bernabei told the council during a finance committee meeting Monday.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20180730/canton-officials-market-square-will-reintroduce-canton-to-outside-region

I'm having trouble grasping this Market Square project.  Are the city leaders so out of touch that they actually believe spending $5.5m on a block in the middle of downtown is going "reintroduce the city to the region"?  It's not going to do jack. Canton's reputation doesn't hinge on one downtown parcel, but it's aging population, decaying inner ring, lack of quality education, high violent crime rate, and low property values. This project doesn't do anything but allow the leaders to say they did something, even if it's a big waste of money.

I think it will do more than "jack." Investments like these have typically been catalysts for downtown revitalization, which can have a meaningful impact on regional reputation even if there are other major challenges citywide to address.

The total cost of this project, given that the the primary funding source is city income tax, is where I have concern. The city could likely complete a project with a similar impact for half the cost, and they should be attracting more private philanthropy. Hamilton's new Marcum Park--a one block park downtown also designed by MKSK--was funded almost exclusively with a $3.5 million donation by the Marcum Family.

It would be pretty unusual for a project like this to spark a revitalization; usually they're just something done on the fringes of an on-going revitalization. The way the city leadership talks about it, one may get the impression this thing will be the Canton version of "The Bean" in Chicago, sparking a flood of visitors (and a subsequent renewal of downtown).  That's just not going to happen. They'll build it, and hardly anyone will care after a year.

I don't have a problem with doing something with Market Square - it is, as it stands, in need of refurbishment. My issues are with the proposed designs and the $5.5m pricetag. Design-wise, for example, why does downtown need a permanent stage and video screen? People are only downtown en masse 6 or 7 times a year.  A space for a temporary stage and video screen would be more appropriate and most definitely cheaper. And I sort of shudder when I think of what sort of "sculpture" they plan to install.

I may come off as overly pessimistic, but I have no reason to not be. The city is run by people who don't really seem to care about it, and frivolous projects like this just highlight that fact.

It's fair to say that you think the project isn't the right design, or too expensive, or shouldn't be done at all.  But I don't see how it makes any sense to say that it is a sign that the people who are pursuing it "don't care".  If one doesn't care they don't go out of their way to pursue a difficult and expensive objective.

It looks like there is a lot of public feedback they will be accepting. I would suggest you get involved to help steer the project since you feel passionate about it. It doesn’t look like anything is set. They want to do something and have the money to use to beautify that block. Since Canton isn’t that big of a population and not that many people are that proactive, you will probably be surprised at how much say you can have if you can give logical and thoughtful input.

I certainly have no care what they do since i get to Canton maybe once a year. It might be better to put the money to use in coming up with an urban street plan for all of downtown Canton as far as 1 way streets, sidewalks, bicycle lanes, stop light synchronization, and transit.  Also a plan could be worked on to add more residents downtown and ways to make it more liveable.

e5ps2u.png

"We're so retarded we think this is art." - Mike Polk

2ut6ooz.png

This is what I'm talking about: completely unnecessary. This is a vanity project by the leaders of the city. They want to spend $1m on a huge LED screen!

It looks like there is a lot of public feedback they will be accepting. I would suggest you get involved to help steer the project since you feel passionate about it. It doesn’t look like anything is set. They want to do something and have the money to use to beautify that block. Since Canton isn’t that big of a population and not that many people are that proactive, you will probably be surprised at how much say you can have if you can give logical and thoughtful input.

I certainly have no care what they do since i get to Canton maybe once a year. It might be better to put the money to use in coming up with an urban street plan for all of downtown Canton as far as 1 way streets, sidewalks, bicycle lanes, stop light synchronization, and transit.  Also a plan could be worked on to add more residents downtown and ways to make it more liveable.

I agree with everything here.  Unfortunately, I will not be living in Canton until I finish my degree this coming school year.  That's part of the frustration, really.