Cleveland: East Side Neighborhood Development

This thread is devoted to news and discussion about the redevelopment of Cleveland's most troubled neighborhoods, primarily on the east-side. It seems that many developments, including those of a large-scale, have been overlooked on this board.

If there are already threads about a particular development project, please continue to post articles in those threads. If not, feel free to post them here rather than in the random developments thread.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Its interesting to see that most of the reinvestment mostly only happens in areas of the city that have a somewhat large white population. Tremont, Ohio City, North Collinwood, University, Downtown, etc. The westside also tends to have a larger white population, which is why, most likely, most of the reinvestments seem to occur on the west side, and why most of UOers seem to favor the west side.

^I don't know if most UOers favor the west side.  There's a lot of heights, University Circle, Asiatown and Shaker Square enthusiasm here too.  And in any case, the reinvestment follows certain patterns that may largely overlap with racial demographics, but I don't think it's fare to say that the connection is quite that direct.

^I don't know if most UOers favor the west side. There's a lot of heights, University Circle, Asiatown and Shaker Square enthusiasm here too. And in any case, the reinvestment follows certain patterns that may largely overlap with racial demographics, but I don't think it's fare to say that the connection is quite that direct.

I was saying why jam40jeff might feel there is a bias. And even if you look in those areas you mentioned, as I said, University Circle and the Asiatown area both have large white populations, with Asiatown aslo having a certain niche and Shaker Square having the historical aspect. And it does appear to be at least somewhat relavent.

There definitely is a west-side bias on this board.  Collinwood is in better shape than Gordon Square was not too long ago (and I still think the Grovewood Tavern is better than any restaurant there), has a nice housing stock, and has the Beachland Ballroom to build upon.  It is no more "isolated" than Old Brooklyn.  Really, I don't see any reason North Collinwood/Waterloo couldn't become one of the great Cleveland neighborhoods with some vitalization efforts.  I don't understand why someone would not want anyone to put anything in the neighborhood "because the shops could go to Gordon Square or Ohio City".  The same logic could be used on any neighborhood.  Why does Tremont exist instead of those places just setting up shop in Gordon Square or Ohio City?  How about E. 4th?  Couldn't those places just have been located in the WHD?  IMO it is a great thing to develop multiple great neighborhoods rather than put all your eggs into one basket and let the rest of the city go to pot.  I say good luck to Waterloo.

It's not about not wanting investment in Collinwood, it's about being realistic. The west side has the best momentum (on a neighborhood level) and that is the area which will likely reach the tipping point first. Like I said earlier, it's about creating a critical mass and building off of that. That's typically how it has worked in other cities.

It's not about a west side bias either, because I don't think anyone here is discrediting the growth potential of University Circle. Questioning why development happened in Tremont instead of downtown or Ohio city does not make sense. The fact that development did happen there is largely due to proximity to other areas with potential.

One of Cleveland's biggest problems in my mind is the lack of concentration of good neighborhoods and amenities. All the good parts of town seem to be next to a rough areas instead of growing off of each other.

Its interesting to see that most of the reinvestment mostly only happens in areas of the city that have a somewhat large white population. Tremont, Ohio City, North Collinwood, University, Downtown, etc. The westside also tends to have a larger white population, which is why, most likely, most of the reinvestments seem to occur on the west side, and why most of UOers seem to favor the west side.

Right or wrong, this is just the reality of how it is. It's not just in Cleveland either. Go to Chicago and you don't see much gentrification in majority black neighborhoods. It all occurs in white or Hispanic areas. Perhaps only NYC and D.C. have seen substantial gentrification in majority black neighborhoods, and we all know the economic factors in those cities are much stronger drivers than in cities like Cleveland.

Right or wrong, this is just the reality of how it is. It's not just in Cleveland either. Go to Chicago and you don't see much gentrification in majority black neighborhoods. It all occurs in white or Hispanic areas. Perhaps only NYC and D.C. have seen substantial gentrification in majority black neighborhoods, and we all know the economic factors in those cities are much stronger drivers than in cities like Cleveland.

I disagree. I just don't think the PD covers developments in Cleveland's black neighborhoods very well so many of us don't know about it. Some of the market-rate and subsidized housing developments in mostly black neighborhoods are quite large and have had transformative impacts on the surrounding areas, such as Arbor Park/St. John's Village West/The Villages of Central, Beacon Place, Lexington Village, Glenville Homes, Parkside Townhomes/Tanner Court and some others I'm probably overlooking.

Many of those areas (especially in Glenville) are covered in this thread which are home to many black middle class families and young professionals....

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=18871.0

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

CMHA

NEW CONSTRUCTION OF TOWNHOMES ON EAST 115TH STREET

The project consists of one 4-unit townhome building and one 2-family building. The 4-unit townhome will consist of four 3-bedroom units. The 2-family townhome will consist of two 2-bedroom units which will be fully compliant with ADA Accessibility Guidelines and Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards (UFAS). Site work will include a new parking area with a new access drive and a small green space. The UFAS units are slab on grade. The townhomes will have basements.

CMHA

The project consists of one 4-unit townhome building and one 2-family building. The 4-unit townhome will consist of four 3-bedroom units. The 2-family townhome will consist of two 2-bedroom units which will be fully compliant with ADA Accessibility Guidelines and Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards (UFAS). Site work will include a new parking area with a new access drive and a small green space. The UFAS units are slab on grade. The townhomes will have basements.

Where did you find that?  And do you know where on East 115th that is located?

Oy, I see my one comment got a spinoff thread.

Regardless of my opinion on the racial issues potentially involved, I actually meant my comment to be more of a "we're divided by the river" type thing.  I never used to feel the east/west divide was as strong as many made it out to be, but I have increasingly noticed on this board that it seems as if (1) there are more west siders than east siders and that (2) it is assumed by many west siders that everything good about the city is on the west side, downtown, or in UC/SS.

Then again, maybe I was making a mountain out of a molehill.  Either way, I wasn't meaning that people were discrediting east side development due to race.  But it is definitely interesting to have that discussion.  So carry on, just please don't make my post into something more than I meant it to be.

I think one thiing that may be overlooked is that a lot of the development on the East side nabes are public housing projects and not much private development as seen in the west side neighborhoods.  Having a private developer put money into a neighborhood tends to be more newsworthy then a new CMHA housing project. 

That's true to an extent, although it seems like particularly among NPI's Strategic Investment Areas on the east side (Fairfax, Glenville and Buckeye), there's been a lot of development beyond public housing. Looking at Fairfax over the past decade as an example, you have the $17 million Quincy Place, the $430K Quincy Park, the $5.5 million Langston Hughes Center, the $160 million Juvenile Justice Center, the $23 million Global Cardiovascular Innovation Center, proposed grandparent housing, as well as a lot of efforts around strategic land assembly, strategic demolition and neighborhood clean-ups. I think a lot of this is less driven by the forum intentionally casting a blind eye toward African American neighborhoods but more the reality of the neighborhoods in which forumers live. On the East Side, we have people living in Asiatown, University Circle, Little Italy and Shaker Square, and so naturally those east side neighborhoods receive more attention than others. In neighborhoods where forumers aren't there to catch projects in action, the projects we're most likely to share are either a) the biggest, b) the ones receiving considerable news coverage or c) the ones that are situated down corridors people might be driving down (e.g. Global Cardiovascular more than Langston Hughes in Fairfax, St. Luke's more than the Buckeye commercial corridor in Buckeye).

Similarly, I don't feel like we do much in the way of coverage of Puritas, Stockyards, etc. on the West Side because I think we're largely underrepresented in residents / CDC reps from those communities.

I think one thiing that may be overlooked is that a lot of the development on the East side nabes are public housing projects and not much private development as seen in the west side neighborhoods. Having a private developer put money into a neighborhood tends to be more newsworthy then a new CMHA housing project.

I would have to agree. Revitalization is not necessarily the same as gentrification, which is how market rate forces turn areas around. Gentrification suggests that there is more of an upscale presence (i.e. "the gentry") coming into a neighborhood, which usually follows artists and urban pioneers. Not quite the same as building a bunch of housing targeted as affordable. Immigrants could also transform a neighborhood, but that is not what is being contrasted in this case.

In all fairness, many of those things you've mentioned are covered on this site.  Many of the ones that aren't covered are the kind of social service facilities and low income housing that mushroom in poor communities, not up-and-coming neighborhoods.  Of course, this gets at the whole notion of what community redevelopment/revitalization/renewal/whatever is and means.  There's probably a benefit to the neighborhoods in having these things built their, but do they change the course of the neighborhood?

This thread is devoted to news and discussion about the redevelopment of mostly African-American neighborhoods, primarily on the east-side. It seems that many developments, including those of a large-scale, have been overlooked on this board.

If there are already threads about a particular development project, please continue to post articles in those threads. If not, feel free to post them here rather than in the random developments thread.

THANK YOU for creating this thread.

$30+ million in construction projects will be taking place in Central and Kinsman in 2011:

http://www.bbcdevelopment.org/2011/01/bbcs-major-construction-projects-in-2011/

That doesn't include the redevelopment of the Garden Valley Estates (now called Heritage View Homes). 

I think one thiing that may be overlooked is that a lot of the development on the East side nabes are public housing projects and not much private development as seen in the west side neighborhoods. Having a private developer put money into a neighborhood tends to be more newsworthy then a new CMHA housing project.

I would have to agree. Revitalization is not necessarily the same as gentrification, which is how market rate forces turn areas around. Gentrification suggests that there is more of an upscale presence (i.e. "the gentry") coming into a neighborhood, which usually follows artists and urban pioneers. Not quite the same as building a bunch of housing targeted as affordable. Immigrants could also transform a neighborhood, but that is not what is being contrasted in this case.

As I said in the other thread, don't hold your breath for anything high end in Waterloo.  A stable, modest, middle class neighborhood is its peak potential.  Nothing wrong with that though.  It is somewhat of a good thing IMO.  At least the artists will be able to stick around and enjoy the nabe they just revitalized.

Now, there could be some potential for higher end closer to the Bratenahl border, but I doubt it.

Oy, I see my one comment got a spinoff thread.

Tad narcissistic, are we? I am continually surprised at how little is known, including by some here at UO, about all the major development projects on the East Side, especially in the African-American neighborhoods. I blame it on the PD which does a horrible job at informing readers of these investments. And not all are CMHA projects. Many are privately financed, or at least mostly so.

That is why I created this thread -- because these investments should get more attention. Then some perceptions about the East Side of the city, excepting UC, might get eroded.

This thread is devoted to news and discussion about the redevelopment of mostly African-American neighborhoods, primarily on the east-side. It seems that many developments, including those of a large-scale, have been overlooked on this board.

THANK YOU for creating this thread.

$30+ million in construction projects will be taking place in Central and Kinsman in 2011:

http://www.bbcdevelopment.org/2011/01/bbcs-major-construction-projects-in-2011/

That doesn't include the redevelopment of the Garden Valley Estates (now called Heritage View Homes). 

You're welcome. And I know you deal with this lack-of-awareness problem frequently at work. Many of the same people who coined the term "Forgotten Triangle" never paid much attention to it before or since!

I think one thiing that may be overlooked is that a lot of the development on the East side nabes are public housing projects and not much private development as seen in the west side neighborhoods.  Having a private developer put money into a neighborhood tends to be more newsworthy then a new CMHA housing project. 

As I said in the other thread, don't hold your breath for anything high end in Waterloo.  A stable, modest, middle class neighborhood is its peak potential.  Nothing wrong with that though.  It is somewhat of a good thing IMO.  At least the artists will be able to stick around and enjoy the nabe they just revitalized.

Now, there could be some potential for higher end closer to the Bratenahl border, but I doubt it.

I think that's the case anywhere in Cleveland, though.  The people who b*tch about OC or Tremont being too expensive have a seriously skewed view of what rents/prices should be.  I have some friends looking at homes for rent there, and they've found several in the $750 range- whole houses.

Tad narcissistic, are we?

Missing an emoticon, are we?

I only assumed that my post was part of the reason for this thread because it seemed as though there were some posts that may have been replies in the Waterloo thread and were moved to here (especially the one near the top where I am quoted).

Regardless, thanks for creating this thread.  As I said before, I think it's a great idea.  I just didn't want to be misquoted and attributed for starting what seemed to be becoming a racial argument at the time I posted.  I've started enough of those in the politics and suburbs threads.

Race need not be the issue here. The issue is that I don't think we share enough news nor do we discuss the east-side neighborhoods enough, except for UC, Midtown and Asiatown. And I'm as much to blame as anyone. And the news/discussion void isn't because there isn't anything happening. A lot is happening. The Waterloo thread revealed/reminded me of this need.

I have some pictures to share in the coming days and weeks.

CMHA

Where did you find that? And do you know where on East 115th that is located?

It's on their website, under procurements.  I'm not sure where they will be.

Race need not be the issue here.

The thread title would suggest otherwise.

Fine. I'll change it.

True. But im still wondering, what are the projects that are happening in these areas, not including any form of public housing?

Many residential projects in this area, even those primarily financed privately, will have public housing, mixed-income requirements, etc. Indeed an increasing number of real estate projects in Cleveland have mixed-income requirements when they accept any form of public subsidy (tax credits, direct grants, below market loans, etc).

And that works the other way too. Many CMHA developments have some market-rate housing included to promote a greater mix of incomes.

Regardless of whether the real estate development is led by a private developer or by CMHA, there have been numerous (and sometimes very large) developments on the otherwise forgotten areas of the east side. The Arbor Park/St. John's developments by themselves would be a small city if they were built out in the countryside someplace.

Then there's huge development in Glenville north of St. Clair, east of East 105th, which includes a retail complex and a mix of suburban and city townhouse-style residential area.

There's actually a number of developments all within about one square mile of each other in the vicinity of East 105th/St. Clair, which probably total about 150 housing units. These include North Park Place, which may be the largest single development in the area with 42 single-family homes, located just on the north side of the Glenville Town Center retail complex. Plus there's also the Glenville Homes phases I/II/III, as well as Parkside Townhomes, the neighboring Tanner Court and of course, CitiRama which, in my opinion, have the best design of any new homes in the city in a long time....

IMG_4512.jpg

IMG_4511.jpg

Those are some nice pictures. I think the most important factor for which the city of Cleveland needs to address is the housing stock. If The city would be able to clear out a large area and build new, I think it would be successful. Not everybody, actually only a few, want to renovate old houses. There is small population who do, mostly us on here, but being realistic, the average person does not. Thats why the city needs to contunue to get new housing if they ever want to see a large increase in poppulation again.

You're welcome. And I know you deal with this lack-of-awareness problem frequently at work. Many of the same people who coined the term "Forgotten Triangle" never paid much attention to it before or since!

The couple of folks who coined the term "Forgotten Triangle" still live there and are very active in the community. 

IMG_4511.jpg

Looks like we have a forumer in this photo!

Not everybody, actually only a few, want to renovate old houses. There is small population who do, mostly us on here, but being realistic, the average person does not.

Unless you can do what Northeast Shores is doing (and I think several CDCs, actually)  ... rehab the homes before you sell them. Or coordinate the rehab of a home with the specific build-out priorities of a particular buyer in mind. While I agree not many want to walk through the rehab themselves, surveying I've seen seems to suggest that there is still a ton of interest in historically renovated homes. I think one compelling strategy is to aggressively rehab properties while also seeking out opportunities for in-fill or parket parks on existing empty parcels. Industrial cities like Cleveland have no end of available space (there's 3,000 vacant ACRES of land within Cleveland proper), so I think it would be a real shame to be leveling houses when we don't need to (i.e. when they aren't structurally too far gone to rehab).

For instance, the former mayor of East Cleveland had been exploring leveling the four blocks of houses closest to University Circle for speculative new construction (Circle East). These are houses in pretty good shape selling often for less than $20,000. If houses are sitting vacant at that price point, I question the wisdom of trying to finance a large-scale new construction project in this lending environment; I just can't imagine you would accomplish much more than bulldozing several intact streets.

• 2 weeks later...

For instance, the former mayor of East Cleveland had been exploring leveling the four blocks of houses closest to University Circle for speculative new construction (Circle East). These are houses in pretty good shape selling often for less than $20,000. If houses are sitting vacant at that price point, I question the wisdom of trying to finance a large-scale new construction project in this lending environment; I just can't imagine you would accomplish much more than bulldozing several intact streets.

Interestng.  I think apartments might do very well on blocks near UC where houses aren't selling.  Buying an old house in East Cleveland, at any price point, is very different from renting a modern apartment there while interning at one of the nearby hospitals.  The lending envronment is what it is, but there are housing types for which we have immediate demand here.  I really believe that much of this city, around UC in particular, could be reinvigorated pretty quickly by adding marketable apartment stock.  And much of the land needed for that is currently occupied by distressed sf houses and doubles, if it's occupied at all.   

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think many people know of the magnitude of these developments.  They go from about E66 to the E30's and about 2-3 block wide.  Here are a few pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjames0408/5439404265/#in/set-72157625909416775/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjames0408/5440008094/#secret6064935569in/set-72157625909416775/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjames0408/5439401707/#in/set-72157625909416775/

Considering the properties in this area before, massive improvement!

That has to be the shortest video in history! Thanks for the flickr pix though!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if this project is an expansion of St. John's Village??

East Design Review District

Agenda

February 22, 2011    9:00 am

Arbor Park Village Community Room A, 3750 Fleming Avenue

9:45 2. East 2011 - 003 - St. John's Village West Family Homes Y

Burten, Belll, Carr

E 36th - E 39th / Central Ave. - Cedar Ave.

Mike Caito, City Architecture

Jeff Sugalski, Burten, Bell, Carr Development

Kelley Coey, Pirhl Developers

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2011/pdf/east02222011.pdf

^ It indeed is.  St. John's Village West Family Homes will be a forty-unit single-family lease-purchase project to be built along East 37th, 38th, and 39th Streets between Cedar and Central Avenues.  The homes will look almost identical to the 300  already built in the Villages of Central between 2000 and 2008. 

All of the funding is in place, and construction should begin around July 1. 

That's great news! Thanks for the confirmation. Sorry to see this large project isn't getting ink in the local fishwrap.

OK, what's this project?

Ordinance No. 225-11 (Ward 9/Conwell):  Authorizing the Commissioner of Purchases and Supplies to sell City-owned property no longer needed for public use located at 11905 Superior Avenue to Market Redevelopment, LLC and/or Market Redevelopment II, LLC, or its designee, for purposes of redeveloping the former Tops Supermarket property; and authorizing the Director of Economic Development to enter into a project agreement for the redevelopment.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2011/03042011/index.php

• 4 months later...

If anyone would like to explore Central and Kinsman by bike, check out this event this Thursday.

---

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=159826624091080

Bicycle Ride in the Central & Kinsman Neighborhoods

Thursday, July 14 · 6:30pm - 8:00pm

St. John's Reading Garden

Meet at East 40th Street & Central Avenue

Cleveland, OH

Tour the Central and Kinsman neighborhoods of Cleveland by bicycle! Come see the good, the bad, and the ugly from someone who has worked intimately in both neighborhoods doing nonprofit community development for over seven years.

We'll depart promptly at 6:30pm for a two-wheeled sightseeing tour that explores recently completed developments, sites in which major projects are on the horizon, and areas that have been blighted and are decaying and seemingly abandoned.

The ride is free and open to all intermediate/advanced bicyclists.

• 2 weeks later...

Students use art to help attract new retailers in St. Clair Superior

Karin Connelly, Fresh Water

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Students from St. Martin dePorres High School in Cleveland are sprucing up their neighborhood. Thirty three students created 11 murals based on the cultural background and institutions in the St. Clair Superior neighborhood.

The murals were installed on Tuesday into vacant storefronts between East 60th and East 64th Streets as a way to liven up that section of St. Clair Avenue near the school, eliminating blight and creating interest in the corridor ...

... More available at http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/innovationnews/murals071911.aspx

$48k first step toward making buckeye cle's first green-certified retail district

Lee Chilcote, Fresh Water

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Over the past year, more than $48,000 has been invested in energy audits and "green" retrofits for merchants along Buckeye Road on Cleveland's East Side.

According to Deepa Vedavyas, Associate Director for Development at Buckeye Area Development Corporation (BADC), this is just the beginning. She hopes to see Buckeye Road merchants become the first "green-certified retail district" in Cleveland.

"We're using this as a learning opportunity, and encouraging them not to stop after the audit and retrofit," she says. "Energy-efficient businesses save on utility bills, which gives them an extra dollar to use towards marketing or expansion" ...

... More available at http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/buckeyegreenretail072111.aspx

No thread for the St. Clair- Superior neighborhood: http://www.stclairsuperior.org/ABOUT_US.neighborhood.html

students use art to help attract new retailers in st. clair superior

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Students from St. Martin dePorres High School in Cleveland are sprucing up their neighborhood. Thirty three students created 11 murals based on the cultural background and institutions in the St. Clair Superior neighborhood.

The murals were installed on Tuesday into vacant storefronts between East 60th and East 64th Streets as a way to liven up that section of St. Clair Avenue near the school, eliminating blight and creating interest in the corridor.

http://freshwatercleveland.com/innovationnews/murals071911.aspx

No, but this thread is pretty close to a catch-all for the neighborhoods in between the east-side hot spots.

• 3 weeks later...

At 3.25 acres, this sounds pretty substantial! I will also post this in the Cleveland Urban Farms thread in the business section......

City of Cleveland

BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS

August 22, 2011

9:30

Ward 5

Calendar No. 11-135:

5800 Diamond Avenue

Phyllis Cleveland

17 Notices

Green City Growers Corporation, owner, appeals to erect a commercial hydroponic greenhouse for food production on 3.25 acres, including a parking lot, offices, accessory uses and site work that includes three types of 8 foot high fence (decorative panel, decorative ornamental and black vinyl coated chain link) to surround the entire property that is located in Semi and General Industry Districts; contrary to Section 358.05(a)(1) fences in side street and front yards in a General Industry District shall not exceed a height of 6 feet; and contrary to Section 358.05(a)(2) fences in side street and front yards in a Semi-Industry District shall not exceed a height of 4 feet and no fence in a Semi-Industry District shall exceed a height of 6 feet; and subject to the provisions in Section 358.06(b), all fences shall be  uniform in material and color, according to the Cleveland Codified Ordinances.

(Filed 7-22-11)

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2011/crr08-22-2011.html

• 1 month later...

Forty (40!!!) new homes and a new office building (how big will this be, cd-cleveland?) -- all in the same general area!

City of Cleveland

BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS

October 10, 2011

9:30

Ward 6

Calendar No. 11-166:

7920-8014 Golden Avenue

Mamie Mitchell

26 Notices

Fairfax Renaissance Development Corporation and Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority appeal to construct six (6) two-story townhouses and four (4) one-story flats on property located in a C1 Multi-Family District; contrary to Section 357.04

the distance from the front yard line to the street line equals 18.10 feet and 22.8 feet is required.  A side yard of 3.3 feet is proposed contrary to 5 feet that is required under Section 357.08 of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances.(Filed 9-8-11)

Ward 6

Calendar No. 11-167:

8113 Central Avenue

Mamie Mitchell

26 Notices

Fairfax Renaissance Development Corporation and Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority appeal to construct an office building on property located in a C1 Multi-Family District, subject to the limitations under Section 337.07 the proposed office use is not permitted and first permitted under Section 343.01 in a Local Retail Business District  A distance from the front yard line to the street line equals 12.6 feet and 22.2 feet is required under Section 357.04 of the Front Yard Regulations in the Cleveland Zoning Code.  (Filed 9-8-11)

Ward 6

Calendar No. 11-168:

8205-35 Central Avenue

Mamie Mitchell

26 Notices

Fairfax Renaissance Development Corporation and Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority appeal to construct nine (9) two-story townhouses and six (6) one-story flats on property located in a C1 Multi-Family District; contrary to Section 357.04, a distance of 8 feet is proposed from the front yard line to the street line and 18.5 feet is required according to the Front Yard Regulations in the Cleveland Zoning Code.

(Filed 9-8-11).

Ward 6

Calendar No. 11-169:

8001-8105 Central Avenue

Mamie Mitchell

26 Notices

Fairfax Renaissance Development Corporation and Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority appeal to construct nine (9) two-story townhouses and six (6) one-story flats on property located in a C1 Multi-Family District; contrary to Section 357.04, a distance of 8 feet is proposed from the front yard line to the street line and 18.5 feet is required according to the Front Yard Regulations in the Cleveland Zoning Code.

(Filed 9-8-11)

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2011/crr10-10-2011.html

• 2 weeks later...

^ Sorry, haven't been too engaged on UO lately.

This is the intergenerational housing that Fairfax (for grandparents raising their grand kids) has been proposing for several years.  They found a partner in CMHA and the project is moving forward.  The office building is a community center. 

I have more east side developments that I'll post soon.  Things seem to be happening down here.

^ Sorry, haven't been too engaged on UO lately.

This is the intergenerational housing that Fairfax (for grandparents raising their grand kids) has been proposing for several years.  They found a partner in CMHA and the project is moving forward.  The office building is a community center. 

I have more east side developments that I'll post soon.  Things seem to be happening down here.

Great! I'd love to hear about it!